Sunday, June 13, 2010

Coffee and Conversation

Andrew and I had breakfast at Julius Meinl this morning.


Not this one in Vienna. It would have been nice. However, we went to the one on Southport in Chicago. It's been here a number of years. Shortly after it opened, we took our dear Hungarian friend, Judith. She was in tears. Apparently it was exactly like the one in Vienna (where Judith spent a number of years as a reporter just after WWII). The only thing missing, she said, was the smoke from cigarettes, cigars and pipes. We were grateful that smoking was not a part of our experience. We sipped coffee as she regaled us with what life had been like during that time. Sadly, Judith passed away a few years back. We remembered our time with her today as we once again sipped strong, hot coffee.


The coffee arrives on a small silver tray, steaming hot and strong, with thick cream, a small glass of water (according to Judith to cool and weaken the brew for those who desire) and a small sweet biscuit.

And this is how I like mine--the luscious cream added!

We had a lovely dish of eggs baked in rosti and topped with emmentaler cheese.

For the warmer days ahead, I leave you with this recipe for a delicious (and not low calorie) iced coffee. It's not from the kitchen of Julius Meinl but from the kitchen of a dear friend.

DIANA'S ICED COFFEE

6 cups very strong, hot coffee
3 - 4 cups of sugar
1 quart half and half
1/2 gallon whole milk
4 teaspoons vanilla

Dissolve the sugar in the hot coffee and cool.

Stir in the half and half, milk and vanilla.

Freeze.

Remove from freezer 2 hours prior to serving. Crush/slush with large metal spoon. Voila--your very own caffecino!

Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I love a good cup of coffee. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posting! This sounds like a wonderful place. I know what would happen first if I went there... I would ask if they sold their cups. I'd buy set for sure!
    (Think I can smell that coffee now. Lovely!)
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting place, Bonnie.. You remind me of my friend in Brooklyn... She goes to so many interesting places around NYC and you do the same thing living close to Chicago... LUCKY woman!!!!!

    I'd love a good cup of their coffee... But--I'd have to put cream in mine and probably some Splenda... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is full of many intreguing mysteries for me! I've never heard of Julius Meinl, it looks just fabulous and like somewhere I'd love to go. At first I thought it might be a high class Starbucks, but then you mentioned your meal. What is rosti, and I've never heard of that cheese, either!! Oh, my goodness, it all sounds so good even though I don't have a clue!!! You must educate me, and stop laughing now, at least I know what eggs and coffee are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful spot for a coffee. Thanks for sharing. I also enjoyed your sentimental story. I have a German friend who has told me the stories of WWII and how she suffered as a young physician. Your posting reminded me of her. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds awesome and I love my coffee with cream, too!! Nothing better. How wonderful to think of a dear friend. I always enjoy listening to others' experiences with the war from another country. Until we listen to their stories, we have no clue how lucky we are here in America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, it is probably my inexperience with blogging that caused my problem. Just be careful!
    I know what you mean about bringing anything into the house. Mine might buckle too! lol
    Have a great day!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard how great this is and must visit it the next time I'm in that way. Great post about your friend and nothing beats a good cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful coffee cup and tray. I love taking photos of things in resturants. some of my friends think I am nuts and get a little embarrased. I have taken salt shaker photos and coke glasses photos and on and on. I like these a lot. yum on the coffee

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool place! I'll have to pass this on to my dad and step mom, they would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds so unique! Chicago is a great place for bits and pieces from all around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I would have loved to have been there for coffee, conversation and breakfast! I love their coffee service... the cups, the trays... all so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what a wonderful story and place. Wasn't it nice your little friend was so moved by this place!
    I'm not a coffee drinker but I can tell that is one strong cup of coffee! Just give me a cuppa tea! :)
    Thank you so much for your dear comments to me today.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that coffee sounds delicious (and if it's a treat-who cares about calories?). I'm so glad your friend got to spend time with you. One of my fav things when I was growing up was listening to people talk about the "old days". I would have LOVED to hear your friend's tales...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not much of a coffee drinker but it looks like a fun place to visit.
    Glad you had fun.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband would love this! Thanks for your sweet visit to my pansy table.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, tried to figure out how to e-mail you after your comment on my blog.... but, couldn't. My daughter lives in Roanoke!! How, wild how paths cross! I make a journey there a couple of times (or more) a year, too. They have SO MANY wonderful old homes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is nothing better and coffee and conversation!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Bonnie, I love the photos! I can almost feel the warmth of that cup of coffee.

    Thanks for your well wishes for Sadie. She is doing well and progressing nicely.

    Enjoy your day, Bonnie & Sadie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.