Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Farm

Yesterday I headed south into the lush farmlands of northwest Indiana. It was a glorious midwestern day. The temperature hovered around 80 degrees in late morning. Puffy white clouds scudded across blue skies.

The corn, not yet as high as an elephant's eye, looked green and healthy.

A carpet of soybeans as far as the eye can see. One can tell that this is a large farming operation. It seems to have just sprung, without help, from the rich Indiana soil. I know, however, that further southwest is the machinery that keeps the farm going. Big white barns house immense pieces of farming equipment. There are drying and storage areas. There are two brothers who, in the season of planting and harvesting, work from sunup to sundown.

I don't go that far. Instead, I turn into the pretty oasis that surrounds the homes on this farm. Its a peaceful and lovely setting for lunch today--lunch with my good friends. The three of us have been having lunch, at least once a month, for the past twenty years. We've shared theater trips, dinners out with spouses and holidays together. We've seen children off to college, careers and marriages. They are family. At times, we are joined by other dear friends. Today was just such a day and there were four of us.

A shaded bower for reading or napping or contemplating life. It once held childhood swings. Our children played there together. They wandered through the corn rows. They went for swims on hot summer days. They gathered around nighttime fires and told tales of the stars. They took carriage rides around the farm when the great horse team of B and C were still pulling carriages. They wandered through the museum on the farm--a museum of local history. Going to the farm always evokes memories of that young laughter and talk turns to what's going on in their lives at present.

Brown transferware plates awaiting our luncheon pleasure.

There is always an abundance of blooming beds and pots around the house. A tribute to my friend's attention to detail and her green thumb.


A little straw hat on each napkin.

Fruited chicken salad, mixed greens with marinated beets and a crusty multi-grain bread. Delicious! The dining room has many windows on two sides. They were open and birdsong entertained us while we ate and conversed.

My friend makes the best blueberry pie I've ever tasted. It is composed of stewed and fresh blueberries and the taste and texture is delicious. She sent a piece home for Andrew. Quite frankly, I was sorely tempted to stop along the way, eat it, discard the evidence and never tell him about her generosity and my gluttony. I didn't. I sat and watched him enjoy it after dinner.

Happily sated with good food and good memories, I headed north and home in the late afternoon. It was a very good day, made even better by a little surprise they had for me. More on that later.

19 comments:

  1. This looks like exactly how I would love to spend my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that pie! And can't wait for sweet corn. It looks great here and we will be having it soon due to the early planting season. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good friends getting together. That is just the best feeling there is. That pie is not so shabby either!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun for you.
    Looks so lovely and delish!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect day to me. I can't wait to hear about your surprise. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how lovely, and what good pictures! I don't know why, but my favorite is the little straw hat on the napkin...maybe because it represents the whole day. I can't wait to hear about your surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! I';d love a slice of that blueberry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's more, Bonnie??????? My My My..... I can't wait!!!! What a beautiful place you visited. I'm sure it's a ton of work to live on a farm---but in some ways, I have a yearning to do so. (Maybe in another life!!! ha)

    Thanks for sharing the beauty.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good food, good friends and beautiful country, I can't think of a better way to spend the day.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. the fruited chicken and the pie take me beyond words. the swing i want to sit in, thanks for sharing your memories, it brings back fond ones to me of my past life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a wonderful day!! Good friends, good food, beautiful setting... doesn't get much better than that!

    BTW, Andrew is lucky you were bringing home the pie, not me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just my kind of post! Lots of sentiment, good friends, pretty dishes, and good food. That blueberry pie looks delicious and is so beautiful too. The thought of windows open to a soft breeze makes me yearn for that. None of that down here in the humid south.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful tradition...and I'm impressed. You made it all the way home with that pie? Wow, you're Iron Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a terrific day. Our blueberries are just getting ripe and they are FANTASTIC! The pie looks grand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great trip to the farm, and that pie looks incredible! I would love a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is nothing better than good food had in a beautiful location in the company of friends.Your day sounds idyllic. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a day.

    I love how you wrote 'not as high as an elephants eye' I so loved that. I have never heard it before.

    The blueberry pie is so enticing. I bet its all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The luncheon looks lovely and that pie! oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful to have such a lovely tradition with your friends. I can't imagine a lovelier location to enjoy it either!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.