Tuesday, June 8, 2010

German Pancake with Blueberry-Banana Topping

We have cookbooks. Hundreds of cookbooks. Shelves laden with cookbooks. Despite those tempting tomes, my husband mostly prefers to try recipes that he's clipped from the Chicago Tribune. As long as he's willing to spend time in the kitchen, those lovely cookbooks can sit on the shelf.

These German pancakes caught his eye recently. He's now made them twice and they are delicious. The sauce elevates these puffy delights to the realm of sublimity!!

How nice to sip coffee and read the Sunday papers while awaiting this deliciousness!

Baked German Pancake
w/Blueberry-Banana Topping
From the Chicago Tribune

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Blueberry-Banana Topping

1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large banana, diced

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Brush about 1 tablespoon of the oil over bottom and up sides of two 10 inch cast iron skillets. Break eggs into blender (he uses a whisk since we don't own a blender). Add milk and salt; mix until blended but not frothy. Add the flour; blend briefly to moisten the flour. Do not over mix. Add butter. Blend briefly.

Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until puffed, 10-12 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350; bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile, for topping, mix blueberries, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Mash briefly. Let stand two minutes before stirring in banana. Cut pancakes into large wedges; place on heated plates. Pass the blueberry-banana topping.

Serves 4. You can cut the recipe in half for 2.


25 comments:

  1. Yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy! I've got to try making this.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't go wrong with blueberries and bananas in the same recipe! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oven pancakes. I learned about them after moving to the Midwest. They are perfect in Summer topped with fresh berries! I'll have to try this variation...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH we must try those - they sound and look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long time since I've had this. Nice to have a hubby that cooks, or at least shows an interest in what goes onto the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be nice...sipping some hot coffee while waiting for this! Yum! I think I lost my chance for my husband to be in the kitchen for good now. The other day he accidentally dropped the fish in the hot oil, it splattered and burned his hand....I'm talking blisters here. So now he has an out. Funny...he can't vacuum due to his allergies..

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one great pancake! I almost made one a few days ago but made regular blueberry pancakes instead. Now I definitely have to give this a try soon.

    I clip recipes from the Chicago Tribune all the time also. It has a great food section! Have a good rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM. YUM. YUM. I might try this on the weekend...thanks so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutly yummy! I've seen these pancake recipes, and clipped a few, but never tried them before. Now I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Pancakes are one of my favorite foods and these look so delicious! I'm going to make these.
    Thanks for popping in to see my pillows!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful as well as delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HUNDREDS of cookbooks??!!! Your MY kinda gal!!! I am now a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that hubby takes an interest in what you cook. The pancake looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how fluffy that pancake looks, and blueberry is my favorite topping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds absolutely delicious, Bonnie. And with bananas and blueberries in it, it's also healthy...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I love a good pancake! Any pancake!! Yummmmmy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these. We call them Dutch Babies. Your topping sounds like it is perfection :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds so good, especially the topping!!! Oh to have husband clipping recipes and trying new dishes. That's romance in the kitchen no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Breakfast is one of my favourite meals on Sunday. i try and make something really substantial and comforting. This would fir my Sunday brekkie criteria perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks delicious, my husband would love it!

    I didn't know you used to live in La Jolla, it's beautiful there! I'm really excited for Pageant of the Masters, I've wanted to go for so long...looking forward to it:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks wonderful! Love your topping. I recently did a lightened version of this. Please have a look if you have the time.

    http://fightthefatfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/06/meatless-monday-german-pancake-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love a hearty breakfast! First time I hear of german pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. mmm! those Germans knew how to eat ! Delicious! I will keep it in mind for later in the summer when we have a houseful of cousins (total 20 people) with kids and we need to feed the crowd something yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll have to try these. Lily's two favorite fruits are bananas and blueberries. She is also a huge fan of pancakes. I think we'll be having these Saturday morning :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.