Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Play Date

My good friend came down from Wisconsin for a visit. Barbara and I met in Charleston, S.C. when our sons became friends in second grade. The boys enjoyed one another's company for a few years and moved on. Barbara and I have remained good friends through many moves. We trade visits each June. This summer was her turn to visit me.

Through the years, she has been my crafting mentor. We've made baskets, books, jewelry, collages, and lovely memories. She is the creative one. I am the eager assistant. This visit, I dusted off my infrequently used Singer. We went to JoAnn's for colorful cotton fabric and got down to the business of making aprons.


I couldn't resist this cheerful cherry print. Yes, I did almost all of the sewing. Barbara was kind enough to cut the fabric after seeing the look of panic on my face when faced with the task.

Look carefully at the white rickrack trim. I even accomplished that fete. Love the finished apron!! Then it was my turn to cut and sew a duplicate in an aqua fabric. I did it!



Barbara insisted on utilizing an extra piece of fabric to make a bag for my self-healing cutting board. I have to admit that I didn't know it was self-healing--or, what it was really for until she explained it to me. A sewing friend from the past had suggested I purchase one. It's been here for several years, unused.

I'll show you some of our other projects another time.

When not sewing, we had lovely lunches around town, visited The Artful Garden and chatted, chatted, chatted. It was a time of catching up.

On the way back to the South Shore Train this morning, we stopped at JoAnn's for a piece of fabric. My "assignment" is to turn that fabric into napkins. The Singer is still out. The bobbin is full--that's another task that causes me great angst.

Now I must get back to the chores at hand. First I need to make dinner. I think I'll wear the cherry apron.

21 comments:

  1. I am in a tether because I need to bring my sewing machine up from the basement if I am ever to get things done! I don't like going down to the basement to sew - too quiet, cold, dark. YOUR APRONS ARE DELIGHTFUL AND WHAT A FUN FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was quite talented with a sewing machine. They terrify me! *sigh* I do wish I knew how to use one, and that I had the patience and skill for measuring and cutting fabric...I love the cheery cherry apron! And, play dates for grown ups...what a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!! Pretty aprons and renewing a friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apron is absolutely adorable! So glad to hear you two Bs had such a blast!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are having a good visit. It sounds like your friend knows just how much to push you to bring out all your potential! You needn't be nervous about the crafts, it's all just fun, and your results are lovely!! This should help build your confidence! Great apron patterns! I love the cherries! I can't wait to see your other projects, you need to make a blog of each one. You were curious about the restaraunt we had the party in, it was The Cracker Barrell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like a wonderful friend. I love your apron! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post about a good friendship over the years. Seems its easy to strike up friendships with parents of our kids' friends. It's not as easy when we don't have that in common.

    i think you read Stone Gable. She had a tutorial (I'm almost sure it's her) a month or two ago on making cloth napkins, fyi.

    The trolley/bus was in St. Petersburg, FL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fan of filling bobbins but as they say "practice
    makes perfect.
    Your apron is way too cute.
    Great job.
    I'll beig joining your following
    and adding you to my sidebar. I'd like to invite you you to do the same.

    Have a wonderful Friday.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, I think that special friends getting together is just so important... Looks like you and Barbara had a wonderful time together. I'm so happy for you both.

    Love seeing the colorful aprons.... Can't wait to see the napkins.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't longtime friends just the best! So nice that you and Barbara have kept in touch through the years! Good friends are hard to come by these days.

    Great job on the apron...and I love the fabric. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun!
    I made an apron back in high school sewing class! I hate to think what it looked like! I did learn enough to make Halloween costumes, pillows etc. though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not jest when I say--I want that cherry apron! Name your price--pleeeeaaasse make me one of those? It's adorable! I cannot sew to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great visit! I am not that creative when it comes to crafts, but I am a good copy cat!

    Love the cherry print!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You asked about the Bed and Breakfast that we stayed in when we were in Charleston... The Battery Carriage House Inn. I loved the location on the battery. We have stayed in several other hotels there also. I love Charleston. It is one of our favorite destinations. I'll bet you enjoyed living there. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  15. Friendships like that are real treasures. So glad you had time to enjoy a visit AND make some very fun aprons. I need to drag out my machine and do something fun... I need your friend to come prompt me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, your apron turned out so cute! I love that fabric. I think you sell yourself short - looks like you've done a great job! How nice to have your friend with you to 'play'!
    Oh, about the retirement! :) My husband had worked for this same company for 43 years!! I really thought he would have a hard time adjusting but he has done great! I really don't know what to tell you. It will all work out and you'll have your 'free' day while your hubby's at work.
    Thanks for popping in.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful friendship and I love your apron fabric! I see your friend is from my state ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't sewn in years. Not that I didn't love it it is just less expensive to buy an outfit. I would also be interested to know what a self-healing cutting board is Bonnie:D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your aprons are nostalgic for many reason. You did a great job with them. How wonderful to have such great company to help you through the process. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is one talent I wish I have! I could see myself making all my clothes and going crazy with different patterns and fabrics: so much fun! Alas, I simply buy ready made sportswear and leave it at that!
    Love your apron and that cheery fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How talented you both are to be able to sit down and make darlin' aprons! How fortunate that y'all have a wonderful friendship!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.