Monday, June 21, 2010

RePa* Recipe-Scotch Chocolate Cake

*Refrigerator/Pantry Recipe

I didn't factor dessert into my Father's Day grocery list. My husband loves dessert. He could eat dessert for breakfast. How could I not be prepared to stun him with something spectacular?

At the last minute, I had to forage through refrigerator and pantry for sweet fixings. And then I remembered Scotch Chocolate Cake. A friend brought it to a pool party when we lived in Texas--long, long ago. It was delicious and fed a crowd (key word is crowd and there were only two of us for dinner). Buttermilk is the only "not usually on hand" ingredient. My refrigerator held just the required amount left over from biscuit making.

Dinner was ribeye steak, oven roasted potatoes and a salad. Just after dessert, both boys called their dad for a chat. We then settled in to watch the latest "Miss Marple" on Masterpiece Theater. It was a good day!


Scotch Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Combine flour and sugar and set aside. Put butter, oil, cocoa and water in pan and bring to a boil, stirring. Pour into flour and sugar mixture. Mix well. Then add:

1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix well. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes.

ICING

1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons milk
3/4 (or thereabout) box of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Start icing about ten minutes before cake is ready to come out of the oven.

Bring butter, cocoa and milk to a boil in a large pan. Stir constantly.

Remove pan from heat and add the remainder of the ingredients.

Pour over hot cake.

Enjoy.

Take a large portion to the neighbors!!

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like one of those wonderfully simple and enjoyable days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat cake. I've never heard of that one before. Definately going to try this one. I can take half over to my dad, he LOVES anything chocolate ;D
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy greeting for a Monday morning! Thanks for sharing - glad you had a Happy Father's Day at your house and you were able to delight your hubby's sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Father's Day meal sounds really yummy! And this cake is intreguing,kind of unusual! I'm printing it out to try. What cool recipe bonuses you give us on your blog! You are my very own Rachel Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like one delicious meal with the perfect dessert to top it off! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that sounds like a wonderful day! And, one of my favorite menus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's similar to a cake we make called Chocolate Picnic Cake, but ours doesn't have the cinnamon or nuts. But isn't it nice to have an icing to put on when it's hot? So much easier. :)

    And wasn't Miss Marple great? Loved that police inspector!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to celebrate a Father's Day with a lovely cake. Best of luck with the new dalmation.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love recipes like this, easy to put together and delicious. This cake looks so fudgy and the nuts on top make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day you had. I love your menu so simple, so delicious! I hope your husband enjoyed Father's Day.

    I was watching PBS and they didn't have Miss Marple, for us it was Inspector Morse. No matter, I enjoy them both!

    XOXO, Bonnie

    PS - I am going to try your chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful, easy cake recipe...and it's chocolate. All the better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you had a lovely lazy(ish) Sunday. Your cake sounds wonderful. Miss Marple would approve. I'm a big "Mystery" fan but I still haven't forgiven them for letting Inspector Morse die. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, crum! I saw the title of the cake and was hoping for a baked good with booze! Still, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. now i am craving chocolate cake. this one looks yummmmmy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd be in trouble if I didn't have a "sweet" for my sweetie on Father's Day too. I don't have a real sweet tooth but he makes up for the both of us. This looks like a great chocolatey cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, man! This looks so good! I'm going to make this cake and I thank you in advance for the recipe! ;)
    Sounds like you had a wonderful day!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so easy and yummy, I can't wait for an occasion to try it out! Thanks for the post! (and way to scrounge!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Holy Moley----

    That's a yummy looking cake!
    May I have a piece?

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I popped by to thank you for your visit to Mucky Boots Farm - thanks for stopping by! And what a good day to visit your site, because I really, really, really like chocolate cake...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious...I love chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you all had a wonderful Father's Day.... That cake looks fabulous... I'm sure your hubby enjoyed it--along with your delicious dinner.... George talked to his kids yesterday also--which always makes his day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anything chocolate is good!!!

    Girl and The Fig is in Sonoma, and I LOVE that place, and Sonoma itself. I have their cookbook, and it is wonderful.

    I tried to do a Dona Tomas dinner form my husband's birthday, yesterday. I have their cookbook too. I made shrimp tacos, and attempted the tres leches cake.
    That is one recipe that I don't think works sadly. I had to use another one for the cake part, then Dona Tomas version for the three milk part. I love to bake, and consider my self a pretty good baker. That recipe was a disaster. It all came out in the end though, and their will be pictures tomorrow.

    Yes, you need to go to Napa, and explore more :) St. Helena is adorable.
    I ended up not getting the soap, but instead this really cool tea light holder that will be in the photos tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is seriously calling my name! I'd love some for breakfast in the morning..haha :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.