Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saturday Market

We spent some time at the Saturday farmers' market. It was hot and muggy and made my hair curl and my glasses fog over.

Who needs new when you have Old Blue?

Old Blue brought along a cart filled with garden plants.

Luscious strawberries from a nearby farm are now sitting in a berry bowl on my kitchen counter.

Hanging baskets in pink and blue and yellow and purple and red and many shades of green.

Neighbors greeting neighbors after a long winter. Several people asked about our Argos. The community misses seeing him on his daily walk with his master.


The brick building in the background is the old jail. It's the actual jail that John Dillinger escaped from (as did Johnny Depp in Public Enemy) before heading off to Chicago and the Biograph Theater. Johnny was very friendly during his filming visit and stayed late after his final take to shake hands and mingle.

These were calling out to me but we've run out of ground space!

The colors of sunshine! I'm sure we'll see them as we go about the neighborhood later this summer.

17 comments:

  1. Your pics are so pretty and, well, friendly! Old Blue is way cool! Is it yours? About your question-I live in NC (for years) but I have been back to visit. The Pentagon...impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fun day. I love the pictures. The truck is awesome and the strawberries look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome pictures! I love farmers markets and Old Blue is something special! Maybe it'll be cooler tomorrow???

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy pictures of farmers markets, and love those flowers in the last picture! There's a very good one in Staunton, it even has homemade bread, soap, etc. The vegetables are huge, enormous! Sadly,I've never been, because I cannot get up that early on a Saturday! If I have to choose between market and sleep, I'll sleep. I wish farmers markets were in the afternoons, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words Crafter: No, Big Blue belongs to one of the farmers.

    Ginny: I'm an early riser so I get the worm and the best tomatoes!! Our market is from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, beautiful photo's. It's funny, I had to look twice as our Market sets up in front of our Courthouse as well on Saturdays. Looks just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old Blue is spectacular! Your farmer's market looks fabulous, too. That is my kind of outing for an early Sat. morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great farmer's market with that cool truck! Lucky you! It will be close to July before ours open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool post. Great information and well-written. I think I remember that from the Public Enemies movies.

    Love a day spent at a farmers market. Thanks for sharing this.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one fine market. Your photos of it are grand and I think most foodies would agree there is no better way to spend a day. Have a great day. "Long live the wedge salad with TID! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember driving by that jail. Did you get to see cutie pie Johnny Depp? If you did, you are so lucky!!

    I love the quaintness of your town, and the market looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopping by and thought I'd leave a comment, hope you don't mind.

    I love going to neighborhood Farmer's markets and your looks terrific. Such beautiful fruits and plants! The strawberries look absolutely delish and gotta love Old Blue!

    Our neighborhood Farmer's market is on Thursday afternoons. Thanks for the reminder that I need to support my local farmers. I'm overdue for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photos of your farmers market. That's the best way to spend a Saturday morning. Those berries are gorgeous and so are your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed a visit to your market, as well as the coffee/breakfast! Nice you have such a special memory there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your farmers market.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.