Saturday, July 10, 2010

Slow Cooker, Soccer, Theater

Cooler! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. The farmers' market was filled with neighbors greeting one another as they filled their bags with fruits and vegetables that had traveled less than fifty miles. The potted plants and cut flowers were especially colorful today--and my camera was at home.

We had plans to watch the soccer game for third place in the World Cup and later to see "Jesus Christ, Superstar" which neither of us had ever seen. I planned our main meal to be a sofa tailgate affair. I used the crockpot to help out. Even though I've had a pot for years, I rarely use it. It's mostly been used to keep wassail warm during holiday gatherings. However, I found this recipe on Allrecipes. It surfaced during a "saved recipe" purge recently and I'm glad that I gave it a try. It's so simple and so good. The original recipe calls for an 18 oz bottle of barbecue sauce. I used my own recipe for the sauce.



PULLED PORK TENDERLOIN

2 pounds pork tenderloin
12 ounce bottle root beer (not diet)


Place pork tenderloins into the slow cooker and pour the root beer over.

Cook on low for 6-7 hours. The first time I did 7 hours. This time, 6 hours. We liked the six-hour texture better.

Remove, cool a bit and shred with two forks.

Put back in the cooker and stir in barbecue sauce. Heat on low for another 30 minutes.

BARBECUE SAUCE

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons Wright's Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce

Place all ingredients in saucepan and simmer, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.

The barbecue was delicious. Our soccer team lost. Neither of us liked the musical very much although the actors gave a great performance.


22 comments:

  1. That sauce recipe sounds wonderful. I sent it to my DH and son. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! I think we will be having this at our next family gathering. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think I can taste it! looks good and I am sure taste even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so wonderfully yummy looking! We have seen Both Superstar and Godspell. Godspell has really great music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pulled pork is so versatile - looks like a great sandwich..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, that sounds like a delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy dish, but the copy of 'Victoria' in the photo caught my eye as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good.Especially if it is hot outside.

    Have a wonderful evening.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe -it looks delicious and easy!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's me again--Wanted to let you know that you need to add one can of black-eyed peas--drained to the recipe. Just found this out.
    Check the recipe.
    It always great to see you at Dreaming!

    Have a wonderful Monday!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds wonderful, O love pulled pork! I have been making my own BBQ sauce for awhile too. Really easy and you get exactly what you want

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie -
    I don't use my crock pot enough either. What could be easier than putting dinner in there in the morning and have it ready to eat at dinner time! This looks like a delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank You, Bonnie. I copied off that recipe. It looks so good... We like pulled pork and never make it ourselves... Thanks so much!!!

    Have a great Monday!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad your weather is getting cooler. It sounds like a great evening and that barbecued pork is a perfect solution for an easy summer meal. It sounds delicious. I hope the day is treating you well. Blessings...MAry

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like such a great recipe! I think that might help make up for the soccer loss and the musical not being so hot. Boy, that looks yummy!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's over a year now that I have been tinkering with the idea of purchasing a slow cooker. I guess I'm still waiting for the one they're just going to make for my specs LOL.

    I find the ingredients in your sauce must bring this little pork tenderloin to a great level of taste...fabulous.

    Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - that looks delicious! I'm going to give that a try! Sorry about the soccer game!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made a pulled pork tenderloin for the 4th and I served it with potato salad and pickles too!

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. genius. so going to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.