Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Salad for a Sizzling Summer Day

The weather has turned on us! The thermometer in the kitchen window has broken the 90 degree mark the past three days. Instead of windows open to catch cool breezes, the air conditioning is cycling on and off, mostly on. By late afternoon, potted plants are wilting and wanting a second watering.

In this weather, my comfort foods are salads--ones that provide our nutritional needs while being light, tasty and cold. Only recently have I tried edamame. I'm glad I did. It's a delicious and light source of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. This colorful dish would travel well--to some cool spot!!



A COLORFUL & HEALTHY SUMMER SALAD

1 lb frozen shelled edamame
3 cups corn kernels, blanched
1 chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Dressing:

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Prepare edamame according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside to drain thoroughly.

Combine edamame, corn, red bell pepper, green onion, parsley and basil.

In a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add rest of the ingredients to the bowl and toss to coat.

Chill for at least an hour before serving.

Serves 8

22 comments:

  1. This looks so very refreshing. I'll be trying it real soon. The dressing sounds yummy too. Very colorful!
    Thanks for posting this. I'm printing it out.
    Have a great day.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I will make it TODAY! Thanks for all your tasty posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happen to have some leftover grilled corn in the refrigerator. This looks like a great way to use it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This not only looks wonderful, but sounds delicious. I'll be giving it a try - perfect for this very hot weather in NJ! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful looking salad! We went to a 4th of July dinner party and a lady brought a bean salad very similar to this and it was so good. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds yummy! I miss cooking and will look forward to it when my husband is home from the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very yummy. Perfect for these hot days we are having. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely salad. It's like a rainbow in a bowl. I can't wait to give it a try. We are into the first day of a heatwave that is predicted to be at least 5 days long. That doesn't happen often here. Salads will be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect summer salad. Would love to take it down to South Beach this weekend.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's one hundred degrees here today!! The salad looks good, but I am noticing the fancy bowl even more! Did you use that bowl just for the picture, or do you eat out of your real pretty things all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting a recipe with edamame!! I work with Seapoint Farms, the largest distributor of edamame in the country! For blogging about this Wonder Veggie you have been automatically entered to win a case of our Dry Roasted Edamame! Cook on!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks delish to me and great for a hot day. no cooking. I vote for that. I have a bowl just like this one, it was my grandmothers. fond memories. i am just like her. she would do anything to avoid cooking and that is ME.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm-looks yummy. I agree, hot equals not cooking! Finishing off a salad now! Thanks for the post, it's going in my recipe folder! Um, I have something for you over on my blog...check it out when you get a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How delicious are cold salads that are not made up of a lettuce base. I just posted a Southwest Bean Salad yesterday. Next I'm giving this one a try since I have the ingredients at hand.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have been using edamame recently. Your salad is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Edamame! That looks great!

    I'm feeling sad for all the east coaster and it seems like midwest people, suffering with the heat. We have had such lovely days here, but I'm sure we will bet getting some heat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks good for a hot summer day.

    Enjoy!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good Bonnie! I've just discovered my store sells frozen edamame for .99 cents a bag - from frozen they are done in 3 minutes in boiling water.

    My potted herbs look awful - all wilted - hope they bounce back this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a great summery recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie, this salad looks so yummy. I am definitely going to have to try it!

    Today is the first day we have seen blue skies believe it or not! It's been overcast and cool very unusal for July in San Diego.

    Have a great rest of the day, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.