Monday, July 26, 2010

Walnut Cake

My husband loves desserts. He could eat dessert at every meal. He never seems to gain an ounce. Sometimes life just isn't fair!!

Andrew is an excellent baker. He's fearless in trying new things and he rarely wants my help/input. That doesn't stop me from trying at times. When we are having dinner guests, he's usually up for making a spectacular final course. This walnut cake was no exception. It's rich, yet amazingly light in texture.



WALNUT CAKE
L.A. Times + Andrew

3 cups walnuts
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
8 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
zest of 1 orange
1 cup whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
2 tsp dry sherry
1 tsp powdered sugar

Lightly butter a 10-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and lightly butter the paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a food processor, grind the walnuts until fine. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the nuts to sprinkle over the top of the cake.

Combine the flour and baking powder and stir into the remaining walnuts until evenly mixed.

Beat the egg yolks until well blended, then gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Continue beating until the mixture is light and the eggs form a ribbon when dropped from the beaters. Stir in the orange zest and the ground walnut mixture.

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites into the walnut mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.

Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the reserved walnuts.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes until puffed and browned. Remove to wire rack to cool. As it cools, it will settle and be slightly higher around the sides.

Combine the whipped cream and sherry. Sift the powdered sugar through a small strainer into the whipped cream and stir until blended.

Serve with a dollop of the sherry whipped cream.

ENJOY!


22 comments:

  1. Even the small picture of this cake in my dashboard view looked incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, a baking husband!! You need to take full advantage of this. Phil can eat all he wants and not gain weight, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, this sounds a lot like my grandmother's recipe....delish! BTW: I could eat dessert instead of a meal...and my husband doesn't gain an ounce either-he has a high metabolism (no fair!) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. just looking at the picture makes me crave for it. I just don't know if I can bake it the way you did. thanks for sharing the recipe though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks wonderfully flavorful and decadant. You are so lucky to have a baking husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A man of many talents? You have a prize there! Dessert is always the last thing I think of when guests are coming and it's often ice cream. How nice to have a husband who takes care of that part of the meal, and enjoys doing it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! My hubby likes to cook, but he never ever bakes. That walnut cake looks absolutely delicious. I wonder how it would be with black walnuts... I may have to find out! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just finished a late dinner and this would b a perfect ending.
    Too bad we live so far from each other.

    Have a wonderful Tuesday.


    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Bonnie, I really like that picture of the carrots.

    Thanks for visiting with me at the casa! Our house in Honolulu is very close to the Kahala Mandarin. Do you know where Kahala Mall is? We still live one block up towards the mountains.

    You need to come visit SD so we can get together! The weather right now is very cool.

    xoxo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those carrots on your header!
    That cake sounds and looks really good. That is very frustrating that men can eat what they want, while us females just have to look at the food.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks dellish to me. let me say that I would eat a stick if it had that whipped cream on it. ha ha. also i am lucky not to havv baking husband since I suffer from sugar/carb addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very fond of walnuts so just know I will love this cake. I don't care for overly sweet desserts so this will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds decadent!! Yum! I think I would love to be on your dinner guest list!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cake looks really good. Norm has an acid reaction to walnuts though (my sister-in-law does also) and so I would probably use pecans. Also the quiltie isn't in book form yet. It is just a page. I'm glad you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks truly delicious. I love this kind of cake and can almost taste the walnuts you've used in the ingredients list. He bakes, huh? Some gals have all the luck :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a must try, it looks delicious! Walnuts are the best! Your lucky husband!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks DElicious! I've been drooling as I look over your prior posts!
    Thanks for stopping by today and for your sweet comment about my blog. I sure do appreciate it! I would love to see your "secret garden" AND your craftsman bungalow.
    Have a great day!
    ~ Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie...I am really a nut for nutty desserts LOL.
    This walnut wonder is no exception.
    Although I am cocerned at the amount of eggs in this cake...I'm certainly willing to try it out.
    Tell Andrew thanks a lot for all his efforts.
    Bonnie...I've just gained 1/4 pound looking at it ;o)

    Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. A husband that bakes? How wonderful! Lucky you;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonnie,

    The cake looks wonderful!

    Thanks for stopping by. Getting stronger every day - almost ready to start cooking again.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. He bakes too?! Oh my, what a delicious cake. I wish I had his metabolism, though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This cake looks amazing!! I just found your blog and am loving it! xox

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.