Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Blueberry Soup Sort of Sunday

Eldest has been here for a week today. It has been great fun to have him under our roof and at our table. He sat up a home-away-from-home office in his old bedroom. I've made him lunch on the days he's worked. It was hard to resist not packing it up in his old lunch box (the long stored away Superman--or was it Batman?), cutting his sandwich just right, throwing in some carrot sticks and leaving a little "mom" note for him to find.

In addition to work and long visits with his parents, he has managed to spend time with about twenty of his closest friends. One met him at the end of our driveway this morning at 6:45 a.m. for an eight mile run!!

We've spent the rest of the day reading newspapers, lingering over a late brunch, and relishing the time together.

We enjoyed this blueberry soup while waiting for our apple-cinnamon baked French toast to come out of the oven.





BLUEBERRY SOUP
(Chicago Tribune, July 30, 2008)

2 1/2 pints fresh blueberries
1 3/4 cups cold water
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
Whipped cream, optional

Place two pints of the blueberries, water, orange juice, wine, sugar and zest in a medium saucepan over medium heat; heat to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer; cook stirring occasionally until blueberries break down, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; puree in a food processor. Refrigerate at least two hours.

Divide soup among 8 bowls; divide the remaining 1/2 cup of the blueberries among the bowls. Top each with whipped cream if desired.

26 comments:

  1. Now that is something I will have to try. Sounds like you have had a wonderful visit with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have needed a straw :) Looks delicious. Isn't it nice to have your son home again? I know you are enjoying it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never even heard of that before!

    Glad you are enjoying your Sunday with family and good food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a glorious color! It sure does sound good too. So happy that you are enjoying your time with your family. Is he heading back to California?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds wonderful, I love a chilled soup in this kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That soup looks beautiful! I'm glad you're enjoying your son's visit. We have some of those lunch boxes here too...probably Thundercats or Ninja Turtles! I keep my frosting colors in an old Scooby Doo one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this but I bet it is good!
    Glad you are having fun with the son.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to end a summer meal! Such a deep and vibrant color that would look beautiful with some freshly whipped cream. I think I would need a straw too!
    http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a rich color. I would totally spill it all over that white place mat. Don't invite me over when you serve this. ha ha!

    Thanks for the get well wishes this morning. I'm feeling okay, I just can't seem to stop coughing, which in turn gives me a throbbing headaches. I will get better though over time.

    It means a lot to me that you care, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful color! I have never had Blueberry Soup before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely, your son is very lucky indeed! I am always impressed with how beautiful you make your table settings. Everything lovely and matching, and so special looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie! How very nice you're having this special time with your son! I'm sure he is appreciating his Mom's wonderful cooking too! This looks so good! I've never had blueberry soup. Baked French toast on the way? Man, you know he's never going to leave! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is new to me, you do that a lot with the things you cook, this is one i could do as a non cook and would love to eat/drink? i have the same bowl in my cabinet, 2 of them that were my grandmothers, then mothers and now mine. lovely shot of the soup, so glad you are able to enjoy eldest son. and i imagine he has to run 8 miles afer the way you are feeding him. the bread made me drool

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chilled fruit soups are always fun aren't they? But for this one I would have had to tie a tablecloth around my neck so I didn't stain my clothes! I'm not the world's neatest diner!

    Have a great week Bonnie, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now here is "new to me" use for those prolific blueberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, this does sound so delicious and perfect for hot weather. How wonderful to have your son home again. I can imagine how much you are enjoying this time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats my kinda soup, its more of a desert. I like it :)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never eaten fruit soup--the brilliant color of yours certainly makes it look enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love finding crazy fruity soup recipes like this! So sweet that you get to have your little boy home again :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh, I love blueberry soup and, until now, didn't have a recipe. Thanks for including one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I make this too, but have never used wine. I'll give it a try.

    Thanks for the lovely posting.

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you have enjoyed the visit from your son... I'd love to spend some quality time with any of mine--but that won't happen... Sigh!!!!

    I've never heard of blueberry SOUP..... Since I'm not a huge fan of blueberries at all, I probably will pass on that soup... BUT--I'm sure it is good for those who like blueberries.

    Have a great Monday.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blueberry soup! I love in blueberry country and have never heard of this; sounds like a must try for me.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie, I want to come "home" to your house! Oh, my! That all sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never even heard of blueberry soup before - it sounds amazing!
    :)
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not too sure if I'd want to use my very precious and limited blueberries in a soup...however...it is admittedly interesting nonetheless ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    CLaudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.