Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Life on Rue Tatin and a Fruit Tart

I've been too busy to attend cooking school in Paris. Too busy to live for a few years in a charming French village. Too busy to write a memoir. I could have written the memoir but, without having studied in Paris and lived in France, I don't think there would be a lot of interest.


On Rue Tatin is a memoir by Susan Herrmann Loomis. It's one of my favorites. We've used many of the included recipes that evoke the essence of Normandy. This tart is one that both Andrew and I have done when apricots and nectarines are at their peak.

RUSTIC NECTARINE AND APRICOT TART
From On Rue Tatin by Susan Loomis

Pastry

1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
Large pinch of sea salt (or regular salt)
7 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
5 to 6 tbsp iced water
1 egg

Place the flour and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. With the processor running, slowly add the water and process just until combined and crumbly. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently press it into a ball. Let the pastry sit, covered, at room temperature for 1 hour. In the meanwhile, prepare the filling.

FILLING

1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 pound apricots, pitted and cut into quarters
About 5 nectarines (1 1/4 pounds), pitted and cut into eighths

Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the fruit and stir until all the ingredients are combined.

Preheat the oven to 425 and move the rack to the bottom third of the oven.

Roll out the pastry to a 13-inch circle. Gently fit it into a 10 1/2 inch removable-bottom tart tin, leaving the pastry to hang over the edge of the tin.

Prepare a wash of one egg and two tsp water whisked together.

Quickly brush the bottom of the pastry with some of the egg wash.

Turn the fruit mixture into the pastry and quickly and roughly fold the edges of the pastry up and over the fruit. Brush the pastry with the remainder of the egg wash.

Place the tin on a cookie sheet and bake in the bottom third of the oven until the pastry is golden and the fruit is cooked through. This takes 35 to 40 minutes.

ENJOY!

27 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious! So happy the temps are coming down and I can back to baking bread and other goodies!

    By the end of the summer, I am kind of sick of the grill :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOO that looks beautiful and mouth watering. I have to stop with the pies though, I have made quite a bit of them this summer, and now I need to cut back :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, I love these kinds of recipes! Such a pretty cover shot. I don't have a food processor so I think I would get a premade pie dough. You don't mind do you?

    Have a great day, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely scrumptious! I will look up that book.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that book on my shelf! I had forgotten about it. Must read again and TRY the recipes. Tart looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the interest of full disclosure, my husband made this tart. I have, however, made it many times!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is absolutly beautiful, far too pretty to actually eat!! Sacre Blue!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite books as well and I've used it a lot but it's gotten put back on the shelf and forgotten as I've gotten some new cookbooks. I will have to make this tart and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that looks completely yummy! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  10. my taste buds are screaming!!! yummmmmm!!!! i love nectarines and apricots and together would be divine PLUS pasty??? did i say Yumm???
    I saw your cinnamon bread post. i just found out last week to remove one, go to list and edit and open it and click save draft and it pulls it back and leaves it for another day. stacey told me how

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, that looks so very delicious. You are always cooking something terribly tempting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this. I don't think I baked mine long enough. Why do you use the egg wash on the bottom of the crust which you won't see? I usually put mine just up the sides and on top but I'm sure you have a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @podso: Bonnie will be the expert on this, but my understanding is that the egg wash seals the dough to prevent a soggy-bottomed tart.

    This tart looks amazing, Bonnie; definitely putting it on my list to try! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aha! I will try this. I was basically "winging" my tart recipe and the juice was abundant--and therefore crust soggy (I also baked it less time). this may be the answer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right now I have 8 new cookbooks to look at - but here is one I haven't heard of - looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved your comment on my posting about "HONEST KITCHENS." I laughed as I read about your old kitchen with 26 drawers (so what DID you do with all the junque previously lurking inside those 26 drawers).

    Susan Loomis is wonderful and accessible. I would love to take one of her classes. I have her old French Farmhouse cookbook and would now love to have this one. Thanks for the recipe.

    I just finished reading A Pig in Provence about the life and learning of Georgeanne Brennan.

    All joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, rustic tart! Our local store is selling beautiful variety of pluots right now that would make a wonderful tart. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this rustic easy to make dessert. It is a favorite at our house.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

    fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty!!
    I'm sure it was delish!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie, That tart made my mouth water. It looks incredible.... I hope you get to that cooking school in Paris someday.... AND---maybe even live there for awhile... THEN--you can write your memoirs....

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful. I have peaches just calling to me on my counter that would make a wonderful tart.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rustic and absolutely gorgeous ... love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you should do both (live in France and write a memoir with a bunch of delicious recipes). This tart is just gorgeous, and I can see you coming up with quite a few delicious recipes of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How wonderful that you are thinking of a move back to Virginia. I would highly recommend the Richmond area. We're such a great spot -- lots of cultural things, theatre, music, museums. And about two hours from the beach, or the mountains or Washington D.C. Also about an 45 mins to an hour from Williamsburg and Charlottesville. There are lots of retirement and age restricted communities here and more being built all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow How simple is that! I am sitting here, mouth watering! Your tart looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A friend brought me TEA on WHEELS, in a basket , while I am recovering from surgery. IN the basket was a peach-blueberry tart like this. She sent me your link AND here I find one of my most favorite books!
    This makes me want to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love a good memoir and a good tart. These both go hand in hand...or hand in mouth. yum.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.