Thursday, September 2, 2010

Rain and Tarte Paysanne

I awoke to rain this morning.  Much needed, gently falling rain!  Our ecru lawn seems to already be turning green.  It's amazing what a good drink of water will do for grass.

We are enjoying Stefan's visit.  This time it's long enough that I don't feel we have to pack a lot into a few days.  Of course, a week passes way too quickly when family time is involved.  It was really good to have his input into my camera selection decision.  I was almost there when I stumbled upon the Hasselblad from Sweden.  Oh my!  That camera would have made my somewhat less than stellar photo of the tarte something of delicious beauty.  The model I particularly like is around $18,000.00!!!!!  I don't think you even have to accompany it.  Just give it a photo "assignment" and off it goes!  

Back in the real world, Andrew made this apple tart for our dinner last night.  It is simple and simply delicious.



COUNTRY STYLE APPLE TART
(Tarte Paysanne from Lenotre's Desserts and Pastries)

1 egg
5 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp flour
6 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp dried currants
2 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl, beat the egg and sugar with a whisk until the mixture whitens.  Stir in the flour and cream.  Beat until completely smooth.  Mix the currants and apples together in another bowl, then pour over them a little more than half of the batter.  Stir well.  Spread the apple-currant mixture evenly over the bottom of a buttered pie pan.

Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the melted butter slowly to the remaining batter, beating the mixture until smooth with the wire whisk.

Remove the tart from the oven and raise the temperature to 475 degrees.  Spread the remaining batter over the partially cooked tart.  Replace the tart in the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.

Remove the tart from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.  Serve warm.

Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I wish we had rain!! We only have the sun, beating down!

    Have fun with Stefan! Tell him we said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking tarte! And you do have good taste in cameras; it must be a gem.
    Emjoy your Stephan's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like an apple tart! I love them during the fall -- every chance I get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...this tart looks amazing!!! Tis that time of year again....oven on....lovely aromas coming from the kitchen....leaves falling, temperatures dropping...(not yet here!) and all of that wonderful goodness that comes with Autumn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for the 18,000 dollar camera, then you can rent it out by the day or hour to those of us that want to send it out on assignment. i did not even know they made cameras that cost that much. i found a 10,000 and a 5,000 that i liked, it stayed on the shelf. go buy a camera and your dead line is Monday AM that gives you the week end to buy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tart sounds wonderful. I used to love Lenotre's recipes. I unfortunately did not bring the book - his first - with me when we retired. The expense of moving large collections of books from one coast to another is extraordinarily expensive. The Poire William you suggested is what I use. There are others but not quite as good. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious and interesting recipe. I just happen to have apples that will be perfect for this dessert.

    My lawn is the color of a paper bag. I'm praying we get rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish we had some of that rain! So glad that you are enjoying Stefan's visit. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you hate it when you can't buy the BEST camera, espresso maker, car . . . etc.

    But you are probably like me, and grateful for all the amazing things I do have.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing I understand about yout title is the rain part! I have never haard of this camera. Did you really see it, or just on the computer? Your comments on it are making me giggle!! I think that the more a camera costs, the harder it is to learn because it has more options, bells and whistles! Probably no one could work this but a genius! Console yourself with that. And I bet the price doesn't even include lenses! But have you decided what to get? Did you buy it yet? Will it be from a local camera store?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mouth is watering....I'm filing this away for cooler weather. You're right, it seems simple and sounds delish! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...it's time for all things apple- this tart looks wonderful, even without the Hasselblad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple and full of apples. This sounds exactly like the kind of dessert I need right now. It is finally raining here in Austin, and I'm loving it. We've been dry too long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful! I love apple season, I am so looking forward to baking again

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmmm...it just looks delicious. This one is a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly a masterpiece. The simplest tarte recipe I have ever seen. Definately book marking this one.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.