Monday, September 27, 2010

Savoring the Beet

Now that the boys are grown up and out of the nest, I can bring home beets and cook them up with wild abandon.  Saturday's market had both red and golden beets and I decided to mix and fix them simply and enjoy them all week--sometimes warm, sometimes chilled and anytime as a snack.


GENTLY PICKLED BEETS

1 bunch of red beets
1 bunch of orange beets
(8 good-sized beets total)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
salt to taste
4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 tablespoon sugar

Wash the beets and place, unpeeled, in a saucepan, cover with water, add 1/4 cup of the vinegar and salt to taste.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.  Simmer 30-40 minutes until tender.  Remove from the heat, add the garlic to the pot and allow the beets to cool in the liquid.

Remove the beets and the garlic from the pot, reserving the liquid.  Peel the beets and cut each into wedges.

Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and the sugar.  Stir to dissolve and add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from the beets.  Toss with the beets and the garlic.  Refrigerate for at least two hours and up to a week. 

Serve cold or warmed.

ENJOY!


20 comments:

  1. I love pickled beets but have never made any -- one of Husband Jim's least favorite foods -- I buy mine from the Amish at our Farmer's Market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How easy! And what georgous, intense colors, perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets- especially pickled ones. Hubby can not even stand to smell them cooking though,so I have to sneak them into the house! These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mt husband loves pickled beets! These are so pretty -- thanks for your sweet visit to my "charmed" post. Yes we are enjoying the long awaited rains...soft and gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beet season! We saw the cutest couple buying bags and bags of beets today...I wonder if they were going pickling too! This is a simple and delicious way to enjoy those vibrant tubers. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pickled beets. I love beets any way. My husband will not eat them!!! I order them whenever I can. Many of the salad bars have them around here and that is where I head first.

    How is the new camera going? I haven't quite got the hang of mine yet. I'm not not sure if I need another lens or not.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even as a child I loved pickled beets.They are a hige part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care for beets, but my husband loves them....maybe I should surprise him with your recipe. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never put garlic in my pickled beets; sounds great!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love beets add to that a home made pickling and these have to taste as good as they look! Wodnerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never liked them but the red color sure is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought after my sons grew up and left home that I could start cooking liver and onions (which I love) --but guess what??? I married a man who cannot stand liver. SO---I have to go out to dinner to get my liver... ha ha

    I enjoy beets and my mother used to cook beets for dinner on occasion. YUM... I actually like cooked beets better than pickled beets... But--I'll eat both.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Evan and I both LOVE beets. This recipe sounds delicious. My favorite way, so far, has been just to roast them with a little olive oil and salt... Oh, my goodness! enjoy those beets with wild abandon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had pickled beets. They sound like they would be super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love beets, cold or hot. love the recipe Harvard beets that i learn in jr high school. i like them even out of the can or in vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love beets now. Never did want them on my plate when I was a kid because, well, they turned everything red!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie...I'm a little spoiled because my MIL loves to make pickled beets for the whole family. That means I can keep my manicure in tact. LOL.

    Nice recipe...I'll pass it along to her ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not my favorite veggie. I've been able to avoid cooking them my whole married life I think, except maybe once. Certainly had to eat my share growing up at our kitchen table! :-) But I like the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adoro la remolacha y, tiene poderosas propiedades para la salud, esta es una rica forma de preparación. Gracias por compartir.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.