Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes and Ostrich

I like tomatoes in all forms.  I'd say "love" but my second grade teacher once told the class that you cannot "love food"  or "a thing".  You can only "love a person".  Back in the day, if a teacher said it was so, it was so.  However, I really do LOVE tomatoes.  The day I know they are going to appear in the farmers' market, I make sure to be first in line and bring home way too many just the right amount to feast on until the next Saturday.  And I lament the last market of the season.  Alas, by the last market, there have been cold nights which aren't kind to tomatoes on the vine and limits their "staying" power on the windowsill.  It's then that I pick up green tomatoes.  Those that will not ripen on the windowsill.


My southern mother considered green tomatoes a real boon in the garden.  Sometimes she was overzealous in picking them, frying them up and leaving none for salads or BLTs.  Some years ago, after mother came to live with us, she expressed a taste for fried green tomatoes.  We made the appropriate purchase and she instructed me on the preparation of the green beauties.

On the day we were to lunch on the tomatoes, our dear Hungarian friend, Judith G. called to ask what we were doing for lunch.  Judith was a cooking instructor and caterer.  She had been to a chefs' meeting the night before and had brought home fresh ostrich from a demonstration at the meeting.  When I told her mother and I were having fried green tomatoes, she said she'd be right over with the ostrich and would prepare it to accompany the tomatoes.  And that is how we came to lunch upon sauteed ostrich and fried green tomatoes on a summer's day in the midwest.


FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
(Recipe from my mother and me)

2 nice, firm green tomatoes (or more if you like)
salt and pepper
flour
egg, beaten
corn meal or plain bread crumbs
vegetable oil for frying

In full disclosure, my only change to mother's recipe is the use of bread crumbs instead of corn meal.

Slice the tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.

Salt and pepper both sides.

Dredge the slices in flour and shake off.

Dip the slices in the beaten egg.

Dredge the slices in the bread crumbs.

Over medium-high flame, heat the oil until hot.

Fry (mother never "sauteed") the tomatoes until lightly browned on both sides.

ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. I made some fried green tomatoes the other week from the bounty I received from a friend. I topped them with brie and then topped all on ciabatta for a fantastic sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more drooling on my keyboard. that last photo of the cooked green tomatoes is yummmy looking. been many years since i have had them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love fried green tomatoes! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I must know! What does ostrich taste like? What spices did she use to season it? I've never eaten it, you see, so I'm dying of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember one Illinois winter when we harvested the remains of the tomato garden, wrapped each in newspaper, placed them in a box in the basement, and "reharvested" them when they had ripened...not quite as tasty as on the vine ripening but none the less, home grown tomatoes.

    I use your same recipe with egg plant slices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I totally love food mroe than people! (or anything else for that matter)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make green tomato ketchup every years like my mom used to make. I did tried fried tomatoes this year for the first time; we loved it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting this. I have always wanted to try fried green tomatoes and never have. Maybe now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well?? Did it taste like chicken? Ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We tend to push the envelope a little at our place with some of the excess green tomatoes. We sandwich it with a thin slice of ham and Ricotta with a few shavings of Parmesan ;o) How glutten are we?

    Bonnie...yours look like they're simply just fantastic on their own!

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    P.S. Thank you for your very thoughtful holiday wishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think you can so totally love food. Especially if you eat your emotions.

    These fried green tomatoes look divine! I wish I could have some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. B, thanks so much for stopping by.

    What a wonderful event: friend, family, ostrich and fried green tomatoes... what's not to LUV? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your tomatoes look delicious! I know what you mean about the market, ours will be over soon too....its going to be a long cold winter.
    I have never had ostrich before, it sounds interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a lover of tomatoes too! Especially the fried green ones! Thanks for your very sweet visit to my Halloween party table -- so glad that you could stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like fried green tomatoes but hubby LOVES them. I have quite a few on my one lone tomato plant that I know won't be ripe before frost. I guess I'll just have to fry 'em up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Fried Green Tomatoes. My grandmother would make them for us at the end of every summer; thank you for bringing back those sweet memories! And I've sampled ostrich before...it tasted like chicken to me! Thanks for sharing this simple yet delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the tomatoes we had in our garden this summer and I never fried a green one! How'd I miss that?? Yours looks so cruncy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! You know I love these. Those southern roots keep coming up don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've only had fried green tomatoes once in my entire life! When very good friends (who were in our gourmet group) moved from here to Georgia they put on a Southern-themed gourmet party and this was one of the items on the menu. They were wonderful! I'll have to see if there are any green tomatoes left on my sad plant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't say I've ever had ostrich but I love love a fried green tomato especially with some ranch dressing. yum! Also really great in BLT's.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.