Monday, November 8, 2010

Bigos (Hunter's Stew)

When my husband and his trusty dalmatian retriever, Oliver, returned from the hunt bearing venison, rabbit, squirrel and 'possum, I had to search around for a recipe to utilize their "haul".    O.K., in all honesty, neither one of them has ever hunted down any prey.  Andrew had picked up a nice kielbasa and some sauerkraut at the Krakow Deli while his trusty "partner" waited in the car.  

Bigos is considered by some to be the "national" dish of Poland.  It has almost as many recipes as there are cooks.  Some families eat from it all week with ingredients being added as necessary to keep the pot going.  The stew improves with age.




Bigos


2 pounds smoked kielbasa, cut into 1-inch slices
2 large onions, sliced
1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cups dry white wine
6 peppercorns
2 cloves, garlic, mashed
1 bay leaf

Cook and stir sausage over low heat in a 6-quart Dutch oven until brown, about five minutes.  You should not have to add any oil to the pan but watch carefully.


Add onions, cook and stir until soft. about 15 minutes.


Add remaining ingredients.  Heat to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until sauerkraut is tender and the flavors blend, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.   Stir occasionally.


This is even better the next day.

ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. This is something I would love to eat....very much so. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this smells really good cooking. I like the way your husband hunts. My kind of hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was soooo relieved to get to the second paragraph and find they did my kind of hunting. yummm on the concociton created by their Big Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would love this. I have to admit, you almost lost me there with the squirrel and rabbit hunting!! EWWW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you did give me a start with that hunting story. I thought to myself that I had never quite placed your husband as a hunter!! But this stew looks just like one I make, almost! I add sliced potatoes and a bit more broth. Phil adores kielbasa! This reminds me to make some this fall, I had forgotten all about it!! And I will try this recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh whew!!! The THOUGHT of eating possum turned my stomach so I could barely stand to LOOK at the stew, until i saw you were pullin' our legs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum. This looks like a delicious, stick to your ribs dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment that you left on my blog:

    "If you do get sent to the "pokey" post some pictures--especially of the meals!!

    Best,
    Bonnie"

    Made me AND Fisherhubby LOL!

    Thanks for brightening my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a girl, my mother often made breakfast sausage and sauerkraut. It makes my mouth water thinking about it! But my sons would NEVER eat it so I rarely make it anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH gosh I will have to try this it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love kielbasa ---and eat it (grill it) almost every Sunday night.. BUT-hubby doesn't care for sauerkraut-- so I'll for-go that dish...

    By the way, as a southern gal, I grew up eating sauerkraut and guess what?????? Wieners!!!!!!! ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a combination of ingredients. I know my husband would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good. So many things seem to be "better the next day."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm...I've had rabbit, squirrel and venison, but never possum. (And I don't intend to add it to my list, either.) Glad this was kielbasa! Your stew looks hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Smile. I think your hunting sounds a lot like mine. This must smell and taste amazing. I adore sauerkraut, so I know I would love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This stew looks so hearty and delicious - perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha - cute intro to this dish. My DH would love this with the sauerkraut!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.