Thursday, November 4, 2010

Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup

It's always nice to open the freezer and find something like this waiting.  There's real comfort in having a hearty soup on hand to face the chill of autumn and winter.  I almost always make enough to freeze.


Last month, while visiting Podso, I found her recipe for a black bean and pumpkin soup.  It sounded perfect for the blustery October we were having and I added the ingredients to my shopping list.  The soup is delicious freshly made and, I think, even better the next day.  It also tastily lent itself to freezing making it a winner in my book.  I've copied the recipe for you because I couldn't get it to link.  Take the time to click on Podso and visit if you haven't already.  I enjoy her musings on life and wonderful photography daily.  




Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

3 15 1/2 oz. cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 C drained canned chopped tomatoes
1 1/4 C. chopped onions
1/2 C minced shallots (didn't use)
4 garlic cloves minced
1 Tb and 2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 stick butter
4 C chicken broth
1 16 ox can pureed pumpkin
1/2 C sherry vinegar (sometimes I just use white wine and a dash of vinegar).

Puree beans and tomatoes in blender. Cook onions, spices, and butter. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and sherry. Season with salt and pepper. When you serve, garnish with a dolop of sour cream (and pumpkin seeds if you'd like!)


Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. You are reminding me that I need to make some. And yes, it is good in the freezer for another time! Last year I started thanksgiving dinner with a small cup of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. Podso is the best. I think I will make this over the weekend!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! What a nice flavor combination. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! It is such a soup kind of day here. Rain and all. I'd love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brain just can't seem to wrap itself around pumpkin and black beans together - - - but I'm so glad you loved it and have some in your freezer!

    The day we moved our furniture into this house, one of the "crew" members brought us a container, which looked just about like the one you've pictured here, full of chili!!! I can tell you, that was a WONDERFUL blessing and help to us - - - fed us two suppers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Due to my subpar metabolizing of iron...I've had to vamp up my incorporation of legumes...and this soup is perfect! Thanks Bonnie ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I MUST make this!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Bonnie,
    i'm remembering our meeting last week in Waynesboro. it was so good to meet you. I e-mailed Podso that I had met you, and she wrote back that she was so surprised to see me in the photo with you on your blog.

    I'm back in Florida with bills to pay and lots to do.

    Thank you for the lovely gift from the pottery. I enjoyed seeing your photos of your part of Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea soup could be made with pumpkin, i always think PIE of course, sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made a soup similar to this and the black beans and pumpkin were perfect together. Thanks for the recipe AND the reminder.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, ur absolutely rite!!
    and i soooo love ur red pot!!
    Super cute, what brand is it?and where id ya get it from:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This soup sounds amazing. And you're right - it's perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds wonderful! I love podso's blog and have been following it for quite a while now. :)
    Enjoy that yummy soup, Bonnie!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love black bean and I love pumpkin; I'm sure I would love this combo. And, I thank you for introducing me to Podso awhile back. =) Now, is Podso in the Star City??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds incredible, Bonnie... It's going to be very COLD here this weekend ---so that would taste terrific. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I've been wanting to try a soup recipe with pumpkin. This sounds delicious. It has "cooled down" in Austin, so we might be making this tomorrow night. This would be great with some honey cornbread. Thanks for sharing, love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks and sounds delicious and healthy! Perfect for when the sickies hit (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just dropping back by to say thank you for following my new blog. I appreciate it so much! Your name has been entered in the giveaway drawing.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I make chili, big old batches of red beans and rice but never ever have I heard of black bean and Pumpkin. Girl this sound lip smackin', tummy rubbin' goooooood! Thanks for the recipe.

    I'm sure it will warm up a chilly Ozark evening! :o)

    God bless ya from the frosty hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This soup sounds wonderful! I have some pumpkins that I need to process. When I do, this will be the first thing I make!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.