Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cranberry upside down cake

This is a jewel of a treat during the holidays.  I always stash an extra bag of cranberries away for last minute dessert.  It's delicious on it's own.  It's spectacular when served on a pool of creme anglaise although I'm not including the recipe for that since it stands best alone after a turkey feast.  It goes together quickly.



Cranberry Upside Down Cake-Gourmet Magazine 1980 with no tweaking from me that I can recall

Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with three tbsp softened unsalted butter.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan and arrange a 12 ounce (because it is no longer a pound bag) of fresh cranberries evenly over the sugar.

3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange zest

Beat the above ingredients together until fluffy.

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp  baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Sift the above ingredients together

Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1/2 cup of milk until just combined.

Pour the batter over the cranberries and carefully smooth out.

Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 1 hour--until browned on top.

Let rest in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes.

Run a knife around the edges and unmold onto a platter.

Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. my mother made killer pineapple upside down cakes, but never a cranberry. i bet this is wonderful and I am thinking since I love all things cherry it could be done with canned cherrie pie filling. hummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I've always loved upside down cakes and this one is perfect for the holidays. The color is just wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a classic dessert twist! We love cranberries and I can appreciate how easy this must be to make. It's such a gorgeous color, too!
    PS: Thanks for noticing my car woes. I need to turn off that interior light, less I drain the battery. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie! Oh, that looks so delicious. You must be the most wonderful cook!! Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie! Oh, that looks so delicious. You must be the most wonderful cook!! Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi...this up-down cake is really wonderful...nice to meet you and your blog!!! Ciao Flavia.... now I am a follower of yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look very easy, and it would be SO pretty at Christmas time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake really looks so pretty!
    Truly a jewel i agree!!
    Oh it will be perfect in ur pool of creme!
    And Bonnie ,thannnk u so muc for ur kind thoughts and words about my blog!!
    Love to have u over and read ur words:-)
    happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie...I've turned many fruit cakes upside down...and yet never really thought of using the 'Bouncy berry' ;o)

    Great recipe which I'll certainly have to give a spatula swirl to.

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever. I've never seen cranberries presented like this. I love cranberry season.

    Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cake looks so tempting and what a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. re. your comment on my blog: even in your comments your cleverness and writing skills shine!

    I think these Gourmet mags are just from the era when I read them. We were caregivers of an elderly man living in a mansion near Lk Michigan --- and he got the mag. That's when I had time to watch Julia Childs as well and she taught me a few things. Someday I'll tell the story of those years on my blog.

    No cranberry desserts here, though I do love to use cranberries with candles for decorating. Cranberries are a no-no when you are on coumadin, which the G is.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cranberries are my favorite fall fruit and I always have a stash in the freezer for baking purposes. This cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm. Looks delicious. I am a sucker for anything cranberry (though if you add pomegranate as well, I'm all over that) and love the health benefits from them. I can kill off a 64oz bottle of cranberry juice in a day, especially when sick.

    Thanks for sharing. Definitely something worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. That's a good-looking cake. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Certainly a beautiful, not to mention delicious Im sure, presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cranberries symbolize the holidays for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to have a slice or three of this! I wish there were more cranberries this Thanksgiving. I'll have to do something about that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my very favorite recipe from the stacks and stacks Gourmet magazines I used to own. I thought I had transferred it to a notebook and then couldn't find it. Thank you! I'm making this tomorrow ... everyone always loves it and it is so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice, thanks for this recipe! The original also included currant jelly to be warmed and spread/brushed on the top of the cake when cooled.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.