Monday, November 29, 2010

Eat Your Zimaropita

I think Popeye would have preferred eating his spinach in this dish rather than straight out of the can.  And, if there's anyone reading this who has only had the canned variety of spinach, you don't know spinach!  I didn't get to know spinach until I reached adulthood.  It was hard, even then, to really give that healthy green leaf a try.  I almost backslid while feeding my babies from little jars of insipid-looking pale green spinach.  When those babies grew into very verbal little boys who refused to eat spinach--not even a taste--I didn't force the issue.  After all, I was the one who forced the grayish-green vegetable on them in the first place.  O.K., if either of those boys are reading this, maybe I did sort of try to force the issue.  So, I sort of apologize and dedicate this recipe to both of you.  And, if you like this, I'll start working on beets.




Zimaropita (Spinach Squares) from The Grecian Plate Cookbook and my kitchen.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 med. onion, finely chopped
6 scallions, thinly sliced using two inches of the green
3 tbsp olive oil
1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 eggs, beaten
1 (12 oz) small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup yellow corn meal
1/3 cup flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs

Saute the onions in the olive oil until tender.  Add the spinach and cook over medium heat until the water remaining in the spinach is absorbed.  Remove from heat and place in a large bowl.

Add the eggs, cottage cheese and feta cheese.  Mix well.

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder and add to the spinach mixture, blending well.

Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

Whisk the melted and slightly cooled butter with the two eggs.  Spread evenly over top of the spinach mixture.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until lightly browned.

ENJOY!

23 comments:

  1. Honestly, that just sounds delicious and I can't imagine anyone not loving spinach after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I even love the old spinach right out of the can! So, you can imagine that this one will be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love any recipe with spinach (and yes, grew up having to eat Spinach but probably never loved it til later) ... This looks delicious and I will definitely try it. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely a superior way to eat spinach! I'm trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good, kind of like a Greek cornbread packed with flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now, I've never even HEARD of zimaropita before - - - but I can ASSURE you that if you ship that casserole up here this instant, I will CERTAINLY eat it!

    That looks wonderful.

    I already KNOW I like spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Greek know their spinach don't they!!
    I've loved spinach since I was a little girl. Matter of fact, I was the weird kid at lunch that would trade everyone in the hot lunch table just to get their spinach! It wasn't even fresh spinach. Then in collage I started eating only the fresh. Oddly though, when I was pregnant with my second daughter, i craved canned spinach!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your header, Bonnie.... Pretty!!!!!

    I haven't eaten any Zimarapita ---but I'm sure I would love it... I love spinach --but like most of us, I didn't like it as a child...

    Thanks for the recipe... Sounds wonderful.
    Hugs
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This zimaropita looks delicious. Being a Greek I grew up with these flavors. I love spinach too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like something I would gobble down. I adore spinach... the recipe looks easy too. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my heart melted as i scrolled down the
    list of ingredients. my family will LOVE
    this. thank you.

    i came over to say "hear, hear!" to your
    comment at carla's. i, too, wish my mom
    and grandma were still doing the
    thanksgiving meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum...that looks temptingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am way behind in blogging, new computer, bah humbug. all set now and this spinach dish look like dedish for me. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore spinach...and any recipe with butter, eggs, and cheese promises to be delicious! This would be a great recipe to serve to someone who feels hesitant towards the leafy green. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good! I love the cottage and feta cheese in it...must give it amazing flavor. I think anyone who doesn't like spinach would be sold after this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This really looks and sounds good. I just have to say that canned spinach doesn't even compare to the fresh spinach in my eyes. I used to never eat spinach in any shape, form, or fashion. Now I love it! I also love spinach enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so divine. I make a spanakopita but this sounds even better! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love spinach anyway, so I know I'd love this dish. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This be great with a spinach salad on the side ;) We love spinach here (definitely not out of a can) and this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm, like cornbread with cheese, with the added benefit of spinach. I bet this would make an awesome side dish or even a light meal with a side salad.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.