Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Meeting Ginny and Beverly

A number of years ago, I was trying to figure out what a blog was--what the word blog actually meant.  Someone told me it was short for "weblog".  Hmm, a log on the web?  It was enough for me at the time.

I wish that I had recorded the first blog I checked out.  Was it food related?  Essays?  I have no idea.  I started to check out different sites and took the first tentative step into the world of blogging.  It took me a year to become a serious serial blogger.  Here, again, I wish I had done some recording of how I discovered various blogs and commented on them. 

I gave my sons dire warnings about meeting girls people on the internet/blogs.  It was, in my mind, doubtful that anyone (other than myself) was truly trustworthy.  However, as I visited with all of you and you responded--well, I felt new friendships starting.  You are all friends who join me for coffee most mornings.

When the opportunity presented itself to actually meet face-to-face over coffee, I (just a tad hesitantly) jumped at the chance.  Ginny realized that I'd be headed right to her hometown and she wanted to meet.  Soon she realized that Beverly would also be in town and we all were able to meet at Starbuck's.  

We all showed up on a crisp, late October morning.  Ginny's husband, Phil, came along as well.  Such a nice man to be subjected to three women yakking their head's off!!  We found a corner table, ordered up coffees and settled in to get acquainted.  I could have spent the entire day--several days with them.  We spoke of our families, interests and mutual blogging friends.  Many of you were mentioned and we were wishing you were there.  If you don't know these ladies, just click on their names to visit their wonderful blogs.




Ginny, Bonnie and Beverly


Ginny came with a bakery box filled with these delicious cookies from Short & Sweet Bakery in Waynesboro, VA.  Oh my!  They were a cross between a sugar cookie and a shortbread.  The icing, rather than being sweet and nondescript, was thin, slightly crunchy and delicious.  The purple spider was MINE!  I had to share the sparkly leaves with my sisters.  Thanks again, Ginny, for the lovely treat!!

Wow, I've been rather chatty in this post--just like I was at Starbuck's with Ginny and Beverly--but, they held their own = )  It was so nice to spend time with you all y'all.


17 comments:

  1. aww..that sounds so fun! I would love to meet face to face with some of my blogging friends. I plan on it some day. Glad you had a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well now, I think the three of you fit the description of "serial bloggers". I know Bev since we live in the same town, and feel like I know Ginny since she and i found we are sister chicke littles under the skin. Now i feel like i know you to. Love the blog friends i have made and do feel like I know them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time was had by all! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. I do envy you; I don't think I will ever meet any other bloggers; I'm kind a rare species in this corner of my world. Love blogging and all it brought to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! Isn't it something though...we teach our kids to stay away from those internet strangers, and then here we are, so many of us meeting up!! Those cookies looked divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww - how fun. I have had the opportunity to meet some of my blogger friends and it has been such a wonderful experience. Everyday I look forward to meeting more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOODNESS !!! Bev and I have known each other for y e a r s ... Can't believe she is one of the bloggers you connected with!!!! Small world ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH---that is wonderful, Bonnie... I have met Ginny (don't know Beverly) --and love her and Phil to pieces... It is wonderful meeting special blog friends. They have become LIFELONG friends for sure!!!!!

    Great picture of the 3 of you.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! I'd love to meet up with blogging buddies one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful, wonderful event to put real people in place of blog photos. I'm glad you had such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ginnys husband sent a message on my blog that ginny is sick really sick with veritgo and nausea and he might have to take her to ER if she can't keep down fluids. he will post on her blog tonight.
    he does not do blogs or email and ginny is flat of her back, as long as she lays still she feels ok. I talked to her and she can talk while laying down but can't keep anything down. i advised ginger ale and she is going to try that with a straw.
    she said to tell you she had phil read you blog to her yesterday.
    updates tomorrow when i get them

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie, I have to admit, the blog world is truly amazing. I had never even read a blog until Amanda moved to Roanoke. She started hers so that we could feel more a part of their lives... I promised I would try for six months. Well, here I am 22 months later and hooked. I have met a coupld of blog friends in "real life" and they are just as wonderful as their blogs lead me to belive. It is a ray of light. I love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie,
    What a neat opportunity. I would love to be able to meet you sometime in the future. I feel like I "know" you even though we haven't met. I'm glad that you lovely ladies had an opportunity to laugh and share together. This is what life is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie...I believe you had a better time than you could have imagined ;o)
    In the last year, I was fortunate enough to experience the same feeling of passionate commonality.
    It will also be time for me to spread my wings and meet more Foodie bloggers in person. I wish you many more meetings such as this one. This was a fun post all around.
    BTW...I wanted to thank you for your continual support and wonderful words...especially in my last post.

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun! The best part of blogging are the people! Really nice that you three could get together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FUN! I hope my weekend in SF is chatty and sweet filled like yours was. I hope you make last friendships with these women- that's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.