Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Mystery Recipe

It's not really a mystery.  I was afraid that if I mentioned spinach in the title, it would cause some of the on-the-fence-about-spinach or the I-don't-eat-spinach folks out there to pass this recipe right by.  They'd all miss a delicious side dish.

It wasn't until adulthood that I ate spinach.  Although my mother was an excellent cook, there were three things she took from a can.  They were asparagus, green peas and spinach.  Just typing that sentence gave me a gastronomic shudder!  Those three vegetables were not in my diet for decades.  It took a long time for me to be coaxed into trying the freshly prepared versions.  I'm so glad that I finally caved in!

My first creamed spinach came from the famous (now closed) Berghoff Restaurant in Chicago.  It was one of those sides that I would have been happy to turn into an entree.  The recipe that I have for you is almost as good.



Creamed Spinach

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp flour
1 cup of milk (if you really want a treat, use half and half)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each:  freshly grated nutmeg, white pepper
2 boxes (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed

Melt the butter in a skillet.  Add the onion and cook over medium heat until tender, about five minutes.  Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.  Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.  Stir in the salt, nutmeg and pepper.  Set aside.

Squeeze the thawed spinach to remove as much of the water as possible.  Stir it into the cream sauce, mixing well.  Cook until the spinach absorbs some of the sauce, about five minutes.

Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. I have not eaten creamed spiinach, but my mother made this white sauce and creamed everything with it. Creamed cauliflower was my favorite when growing up. Growing up in the south, if it did not have a sauce on it we did not eat it, gravy and sauces were the way we ate. this sound good to me and is an easy dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only one who orders this out every chance I get? I love it.
    And what about Stouffer's? It's a pretty darn good product. Definitely not as good as your homemade recipe, of course. Nothing can beat homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I love spinach! Fresh, sauted, in recipes, and creamed! Anyway you can fix it, I love it!! There is no doubt this recipe is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once upon a time, a long long time ago (well, about 15 years ago) there was a restaurant where I loved to eat and my FAVORITE dish there was called Santa Fe Chicken. That chicken was nestled on a bed of creamed spinach, but with a southwestern twist.

    It was the food of the gods!

    Haven't had any of it in years and I sorely miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love spinach, so trying this recipe is a must! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spinach, any way. I mostly love to saute it. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a spinach eater but this preparation is tempting me to try it! Looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm kinda one of those 'don't eat my spinach' very often gals! This does look good. Mr. Precious would absolutely love this - he does eat his spinach with gusto! :)
    I'll have to make this and I will think of you when I take the first tiny bite! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too! I didn't try and like spinach till maybe 15 years ago! I like it fresh or cooked! Did you know it's quite good to throw some baby spinach leaves into your egg drop soup right before eating, just so they wilt. I have a couple recipes for creamed spinach, and this one looks yummy, I will try it! I only make the creamed kind with frozen, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aha! the tricks of writers and bloggers... we all learn.

    Sometimes it's because we don't dare use words that would lure weirdoes to our blogs.... sometimes it's searching for the perfect title that will lure readers we want.... you definitely had me at 'mystery' although I am one of the strange ones who would still be lured by 'spinach'....

    I found a great creamed spinach on another blog... and made it within days...it was YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never liked spinach as a kid but now I love it. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love spinach but have never eaten creamed spinach. I still have some in the freezer from the garden this summer - will have to give it a try (with half-and-half;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love spinach--especially in a recipe like this. I keep a bag around and toss some into eggs, my sandwich, soup I make or quiches. I like the dash of color it adds. I might try this, though I have to watch our spinach intake as gardener is on coumadin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love creamed spinach and am always looking for "lighter' ways in which to fix it. This sounds wonderful and may become my gold standard. I hope you had a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bonnie, I love creamed spinach... In fact, I love spinach period... I also love asparagus and green peas... There are very few veggies that I don't like... I even like turnip greens and pinto beans!!!! ha

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found you at ZuZu's......love these recipes...and I'm actually going to try the chicken one....thanks.

    Xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm happy to see you are posting recipes with spinach because I have a gigantic bag in my fridge with fresh spinach from the garden and I need new ways to prepare it. I've had spinach with eggs.as a salad. veggie lasagna. so I will be trying your recipe. thank you.

    have a wonderful weekend Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could eat spinach plain but DH loves creamed spinach. I was just thinking about making some for him so I'm so happy to have found this recipe from my southern neighbor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I buy spinach every week and have never made creamed spinach; sounds wonderful and will try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was all I could do last week to not dig into my dinner mate's creamed spinach...I could tell she was not planning to leave any behind. Not even a smidgen that would allow me to casually say, "hmmm, is that good? Sure, I'll take a taste."

    I had not a taste. Thank you for showing me how to make my own.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.