Monday, November 15, 2010

RePa* Recipe-With a Little Help from Costco


*Refrigerator Pantry Recipes

Into every life some leaves must fall--and fall etc..  I'm quite certain that all the leaves in our yard do not belong to us.  In fact, I recognize a few from trees at least a block away.  It's o.k. that they wander over because raking is one outside chore that I don't mind.  I love the sound of leaves against the tines of the rake.  I love the smell of them.  I love the crunch of them.  And, if I didn't have a reputation to uphold, I'd love jumping right into the middle of the piles and flailing away to my heart's content.  

We spent a good part of Saturday raking the leaves to the curb.  We are fortunate that our city provides roaming trucks to "vacuum" up the leaves on a daily basis throughout November.  After our toil, we needed a substantial meal--quick and without much time in the kitchen.

That's when I turn to my trusty baked potato with whatever is handy to "stuff" it with.  I'd brought home these tasty little goat's milk cheeses from Costco.  They are like a Montrachet and are quite good.  There was some broccoli in the crisper drawer.  I was all set.




Stuffed Baked Potatoes

1 large baking potato, baked
4 ounces (or so) of soft goat cheese (or whatever cheese you like)
1/4 cup of warmed milk (more or less depending on the consistency you like)
A little butter (or more if you like)
salt and pepper to taste
steamed broccoli

Scoop the potato out, add all the ingredients except the broccoli and mash.  Scoop back into the potato skins and carefully mix in the broccoli.
Drizzle with olive oil
Pop into a 350 degree oven until heated throughout and golden brown.



So easy (you can do all but the olive oil drizzle ahead of time and refrigerate) and so tasty after a busy Saturday.  Serve with a hearty salad.  I had leftover steamed broccoli that I cooled and paired with tomatoes and sliced green onions in a simple oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. Sometimes, there is nothing finer than a stuffed baked potato. Preferably with bacon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, we LOVE loaded baked potatoes.
    I got excited when I read your comment because I thought you had JUST been transferred to Lubbock and I was going to get your phone no., call and buy your lunch today. When I read further and saw that you didn't still live here, I was dissapointed. BUMMER.!
    yES, we generally don't have a LOT of snow compared to other parts of the country but it seems that when we have a big one, it is REALLY big. Amarillo just got several inches last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me to, me to... on the leaves i mean, i love raking them and love burning them, but we are not allowed to do that now, that was way back when. that is a great idea to have the truck come and vacumn them. Had to laugh at the neighbor remark. we have 9 glorious great big trees and most of our neighbors have none or one small one sooooo where do they get their leaves from? ha ha
    thanks for the smile on my verbose award. i do tend to talk on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these look yummy!!! I can almost hear those leaves crunching and smell the potatoes baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum--Yum-Yum, Bonnie.. I love baked potatoes fixed that way... I think I've made similar ones called Twice Baked Potatoes... BUT--I like them, anyway I can get them... I even like to order a full-loaded baked potato when we go to the steak house for dinner sometimes. SO good... I like cheddar cheese with my potato.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love goat cheese...especially on baked potato.

    BTW...I certainly don't miss the chore of raking the leaves. Now, I finally get the pleasure of taking fresh air while seeing others take care of something I couldn't stand doing. The downside, is not being able to jump in the pile I just raked. LOL

    Have a great day Bonnie.

    Ciao, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twice baked potatoes are a favorite meal around here, and I love that they are so versatile and delicious filled with so many different ingredients. I often use sharp cheddar and ham.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you were visiting my new squash tasting posting when I was visiting YOU! Great minds??

    Thanks for forwarding along my new entry to your CSA members. Maybe they'll plan a tasting too.

    Potatoes? PURE BLISS. Thank you for this recipe.

    Love,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just left a comment, but I'm not sure it went through, as I got an error message. So, if you get two comments, just delete one of them.

    Your potato looks DELISH!!! I LOVE stuffed baked potatoes. They used to be part of our traditional Christmas dinner...when we lived near family and had a formal dinner. Now, we do a brunch in the late morning and then have snacks in the afternoon, so we don't do the potatoes...but when we move back home and are near family again, I will be back to having a formal dinner (with stuffed spuds) again.

    Have a lovely day.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. This actually funny. We were at our kids for the weekend and DIL served something similar to yours ... we call them twice baked potatoes, or, as when I was growing up and what I called them as an adult--potato boats. We do halve them. Anyway the gardener and I have been low carb-ing it so really enjoyed her potatoes this weekend. It had been a long time. So, out of town guest arriving tomorrow evening in time to eat (from your neck of the woods)...and it happens I've just made the "potato boats" about an hour ago, in preparation for tomorrow's meal, since I work tomorrow. This guy and I grew up together so I am having a "50s" meal. :-) Yoiurs look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RePa* is a perfect name for the recipes you can create with items on hand! The potato looks like a perfect reward for a day in the yard!

    Yes, Bonnie, I think you would enjoy a watercolor class! I have no artistic skills either... but, I can follow a process with a good teacher. It was both stressful and exhilirating. Thank you for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mean you're supposed to rake them? Oh my...I just wait for the wind to blow them away. (Don't worry about what my neighbors think...I don't have any.)Well even if I don't have to rake leaves, that potato looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this looks like something even my husband would enjoy. I say "even" because he isn't usually a broccoli fan. He's peas-corn-carrots and I'm broccoli-cauliflower-brussels sprouts, and the list goes on.

    I do sneak broccoli and zucchini into soups, though. Shhh, don't tell him!
    Might have to try this scrumptious looking potato too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No leaves to rake up here- they're all still on the trees!

    I just saw this cheese at Costco and my husband said it looked good then put it back down. If it's still there next time, I'm getting some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are leaves have yet to fall...but it will be happening soon, and we have some BIG trees. These stuffed baked potatoes sound heavenly to me. I am all about melted goat cheese and creamy potatoes! Thank you for sharing, love. May peace and beauty shower down this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote this down for my Costco trip. I admit I love going there to walk and discover goodies like this; that potato looks great.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.