Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Candied Orange Peel

It's time to be starting the stollens, cranberry breads and various cookies.  Many of my recipes call for candied fruits, especially orange peel.  I start saving citrus peel in early November.  It keeps well wrapped and placed in the refrigerator.  This year, I'm only doing orange peel as we seem to have consumed less grapefruit (although delicious).

It's a real treat with a cup of afternoon tea as is--even better when one end is dipped in melted chocolate. I'll chop it as needed to go into sweet treats for the holiday baking.


Candied Citrus Peel

3 large navel oranges, well scrubbed
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Carefully remove the peel from the oranges.  This is easier if you cut through the peel in four sections.

Cut the four sections of peel into eight sections and, with a sharp knife, cut away as much of the white pith as possible.

Cut the eight sections into pieces approximately 2 1/2 inches by 1/4 inches.  This is entirely up to you.  You may even dice them depending on how you'll use them.

Put into a pan and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil and gently simmer for five minutes.  Drain and repeat the process once.  This gets rid of some of the bitterness.  I happen to like the bitterness and sometimes skip this step altogether. 

Place the water and sugar in a heavy saucepan and heat to dissolve the sugar.  When dissolved, bring to a boil and add the orange peel.  Simmer for approximately 45 minutes, uncovered,  or until the peel becomes translucent.    

Remove from heat, drain, and spread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.  Allow to cool slightly before dredging in sugar to just coat.  Place back on the parchment and allow to dry at room temperature overnight.  Place in an airtight container.  This keeps for a very long time--months if you can refrain from eating them.

If you would like a real treat, dip the peels into melted chocolate to coat about an inch.

ENJOY!

26 comments:

  1. Ooo I never really thought that I could MAKE candied citrus peels at home. I plan on eating a TON of grapefruit in the next few months so I will definitely be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a monster of a ruby red grapefruit tree in our front yard, thousands of grapefruit. never thought of doing anything with the rind. i have never eaten any thing made from rinds except watermelon rinds my mother used to make into jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This sounds very Christmasy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure are crafty in the kitchen and to make everything you do a work of art even down to setting up this special photo shot. The shot is so perfect it starts the taste buds drooling at first site. I love that tin can too!

    I can envision them dipped in chocolate.

    When I was young, each holiday mom would take us to Rich's to ride the Pink Pig; after the ride we would stop at the candy shop to get orange chocolate sticks. It was orange flavored stiff stuff, something like a gummy bear. Then thickly coated in dark chocolate. So seeing your orange peel takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smell must be wonderful while it's cooking! I've never made candied orange peel and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beautiful smell of these orange peels...make me think this is also a gorgeous Xmas gift!! Hugs Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this sounds fabulous!!!

    Those weren't MY pics in my last post. They are inspiration pics & the credits are at the end of the post - but yes - we do have snow at our house. We've been getting snow off & on since the beginning of October.

    Hope all is cozy and happy at your house today!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I want to make this. I have plenty of citrus trees around me. I also wanted to make candied ginger.

    I love your header, that basket is so much fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! My favorite combo ever is orange and chocolate, and I always buy it in one for or another. I may try and make some of my own candied orange peel, but I did just buy a little container of chopped candied orange peel from Berkeley Bowl. I used it in my holiday bark that I made last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit I have never attempted to make this little treat....eventho....I have a navel orange tree in my back yard...Shame on me! teehee.

    Xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, this recipe brings back childhood memories of Christmas! This was one of my Dad's favorite holiday treats. As a child, it was a little too bitter for me (we used grapefruit peels). That is the ONLY recipe of Christmas goodies that I did not carry forward for our Christmas traditions. LOL! I think as an adult, it might just suit my taste buds!

    Thanks for the "chin up" message! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these peels. In Greece we cover them with chocolate. they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are lovely looking. And though a bit time consuming, they seem very easy to make! I still don't know what stollen is, but everyone is making it right now. Some kind of fancy bread, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always wanted to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this recipe...and as for a cup of tea, you'll be needing one in Chicago; brrr, it's cold. Here in NC it's getting colder as the day moves on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I can smell those orange peels all the way over here. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bet those orange rinds smell good... YUM--I'd love the Candied Citrus Peel.... I love grapefruit also --but don't eat it as much as oranges. We love navel oranges --and eat them alot during the season...

    My sister-in-law made Stollen during Christmas --and I haven't had any in years and years...

    Have a great day and stay WARM.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am totally and completely behind on blog reading. (As a Southerner currently living in the Mountain West, I struggle with winter every year...and I end up spinning my wheels and being unable to concentrate for long, which means I get behind on my computer time.) So forgive me for not visiting before now.

    The candied orange peel looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm sure it's delicious, but I was really overwhelmed by the beautiful photograph. Since we love oranges and often have orange peel, I will have to try that.

    By the way, in a comment on my blog, you mentioned that your son pursued a food science degree. I am wondering what kind of career that has him in. My daughter has kind of narrowed her career choice to that of a food critic or a caterer. I'd love to hear about your son's career/education. If you'd like, you can email me at thinkingsouth@q.com.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. You know what else candied orange peel pairs nicely with? A good glass of red wine and dark chocolate.

    Happy holidays to you.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a nice idea! I just bought a big bag of oranges and now I'll begin ti save the peels as I eat them and try this. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum, I can smell their aroma from here.

    I also like to simply slow dry Meyer lemon rinds. Gosh, they smell like vanilla and have a vanillaish taste too.
    I have Meyer trees and am spoiled by the bounty.

    Joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bonnie! I've never made candied fruit! Never thought I could but maybe I'll give it a try now! Thanks for always giving us your wonderful recipes!
    Thank you so much for your visit and sweet comments. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is definitely time for baking!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.