Thursday, December 9, 2010

Holiday Stollen

I have this note on the stollen recipe:  "December 1980.  Very good.  Very easy."  And it is both very good and very easy.  I've been making it every year since--at least four and sometimes more.  Although you can only bake this in December, you can freeze several for the winter months of the new year.  O.K., how would I know if you baked some in January?  Go ahead!  There's something so comforting when the scent of yeast wafts throughout the house.



Holiday Stollen from the Century of Success Cookbook from Gold Medal Flour

1 pkg active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
1/4 cup chopped candied citrus peel
1/4 cup raisins 
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
Another bit of butter (1/4 cup for spreading on shaped stollen before baking) softened
1 tbsp water

1.  Dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water in large mixer bowl.  Beat in the sugar, salt, eggs, egg yolk, 1/2 cup margarine and 1 3/4 cups of the flour on medium speed, scraping the bowl occasionally, for ten minutes.  Stir in the remaining flour, the almonds, fruit and lemon peel.  Scrape batter down from the sides of the bowl.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

2.  Punch batter down.  Cover tightly and store in refrigerator overnight.

3.  Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and turn to coat with flour.  Divide into halves.  Press each half into an oval, 10 x 7 inches.  Spread with the butter and fold in half, lengthwise.  Press the folded edge down firmly.  Place on a greased cookie sheet large enough to hold both loaves (or use two smaller sheets).  Beat the remaining egg white with the tablespoon of water and brush over the ovals.  Let rise until double.  I do this in the oven with the light on.  It will take 45 to 60 minutes.  

4.  Remove the risen loaves from the oven.  Preheat the oven to 375.  Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.  If the loaves brown too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.  

5.  Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

Enjoy!   

25 comments:

  1. When you find a recipe that works you definitely need to make it every year. Stollen is so festive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have some with my coffee now! Never had stollen but it sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had stollen, but from the ingredient list I can tell I would like it. What's not to love about the yeasty smell of bread baking??? We live a few blocks from a downtown bread factory (is that what they would call it?). And, sometimes the wind is just right to bring that heavenly scent to our front door! I just inhale and smile! Have a great day, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my... another good recipe! I know this would be delicious with a cup of coffee.
    Thanks for the visit yesterday.
    Hope your week is going well.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Yum Yum... what a lovely work of art and framed so nicely with the plate. Nothing says Lovin' like something from the oven. (saying from the Pillsbury Dough Boy).

    Shuck, here in the south we say "dats mighty fine eatin'...

    Now I can make bread, I cheat and mix it in the food processor then do a bit of kneading afterwards by hand. This is something I could try.

    I can only imagine the fragrances coming from your kitchen and the smells wafting through the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...just curious, where does this originate? it looks delicious since my weakness is bread, anything bread! I just want it to melt in my mouth....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for an easy Stollen recipe...thanks a lot, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be perfect at our Christmas brunch! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make my mother's stollen recipe every Christmas. It is such a wonderful treat and brings so many lovely memories along with it. It wouldn' be Christmas without it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those old recipes, Bonnie, are the best. I don't have one for stollen, either. Looks wonderful and simple to make is what we need right now!

    The waffle URL: http://moveablefeastscookbook.blogspot.com/2010/07/waffles.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, sorry Bonnie!

    http://moveablefeastscookbook.blogspot.com/2010/07/waffles.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so love the breads of Christmas. Your stollen is as perfect as they come. Save a slice for me :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean. I have several such recipes that I make over and over again. This one looks like a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, there is nothing better than the smell of yeast in the house! We make a lot of home made bread here at our house. Have you heard of Jim Lehy? We use his no knead method a good deal too.
    Have a great day Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wondering what stollen is for the past week or so! I knew it was some kind of bread, but not exactly what, so now I know. I bet it smells divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't had stollen since I was a kid in NJ - my mom would buy it at a local bakery and we would put a load of butter on it. They don't seem to have a lot of local bakerys in Maryland...sigh. Jennifer pop over! jennsthreegraces

    ReplyDelete
  17. like that plate your yummy stollen is resting on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister-in-law (who is now gone, God rest her soul) used to make Stollen every year at Christmas. That is the only person I know who made it. I haven't had any in years. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those old recipes; they didn't cut corners.

    I'm not one for chocolate; bread, now that's a different story. Adore the stuff! Fresh out of the oven, yum! Stollen is so delicious I don't care about calories and tuck right in (burp)!

    Thanks for the recipe! Yay! (instead of buying, will make some)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have made this since 1965 - and always make 4-6 loaves - at least. Our family loves it and several loaves wander home with the difference children. I add raisins and sometimes dried cranberries - I usually just mix in what I have on hand and each batch is fabulous.

    I've never heard of putting the dough in the fridge overnight. I just shape it after the first rising and let it rise again and bake it. It might be fun to do the mixing one day and the baking the next - no mess in the kitchen to clean up while baking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mr Ken loves Stollen--one of his Christmas favs.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know, if I keep looking at your blog I just may have to put down my camera and put on an apron!!! P.S. Thank you for the compliment on my last post. I responded to it on the same post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm what a fantastic yummy! :) I have never had it but looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never heard of this one but it sounds super delish. I especially love all the different flavors in it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bonnie...I have to admit that usually recipes with yeast kind of put me off because...honestly, I think I'm still not confidant using it. The little experience I have with this ingredient is certainly part of my shyness ;o)

    Now, that said...this recipe may just bring me into your fold. I do like the flavours mentioned...and I could actually imagine the waft in the home. Therefore, I'm certainly book marking this one and I'll let you know my experience when the time comes ;o)

    Thanks for adding one more notch to opening my spirit a little...especially through the holidays ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.