Monday, December 13, 2010

In the Midst of a Mini-Blizzard, Mandarin Oranges

If any of you saw the Chicago Bears vs New England Patriots game on Sunday,  you know what our weather has been like since Saturday afternoon.  The lone shoveler and I decided to head into Chicago very early Saturday morning to get some shopping done before the blizzard arrived.  We got there really early, 7:30 a.m., and had a fortifying breakfast.

Our last stop was at Whole Foods where I spied these Satsuma mandarin oranges as we entered the produce area.  They were piled high, most with leaves intact.  Oh, they are delicious!  Sunday's snow and a memory of M.F.K. Fisher's description of eating a tangerine in Serve It Forth (The Art of Eating) inspired my photograph.  





Mary Francis had put some tangerines into the snow that had collected on the windowsill of her apartment in, I believe, Strasbourg--or, perhaps Paris.  I can't remember.  She had left them there while running a few errands.  She described her enjoyment of them as follows:  "The sections of the tangerine are gone, and I cannot tell you why they are so magical.  Perhaps it is that little shell, thin as one layer of enamel on a Chinese bowl, that crackles so tinily, so ultimately under your teeth.  Or the rush of cold pulp just after it.  Or the perfume.  I cannot tell.

There must be someone, though, who understands what I mean.  Probably everyone does, because of his own secret eatings".

Oh yes, Mary Francis, I know exactly what you mean!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, to be able to describe an experience so well. One can relate immediately to the joy. =)

    Stay warm, Bonnie! It is in the low 20's even here today! YUK! No snow. Just cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enjoying our tangelos this week ... especially delicious. We had a hint of snow last night, but of course it didn't last. Frigid temps though ... stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the food memories we dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! As poetic as the tasting of foods. Even we have a frost warning tonight here in central Florida. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the series "Cranford"? It is one of our favorites. (If you like Pride and Prejudice, you would like it.) It has a hilarious reference to eating oranges. . .

    Merry Christmas.
    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Some weather round here! I was out in that mess with Mr. Man most of the day on Saturday, Yuck!

    Love the picture, great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture of the tangerines in the snow! We've only had 1/4 of an inch of snow all year--it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting photo, and i really like it. wish i had one to pop in my mouth right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the Little Cuties this time of year. You are getting pounded with snow!!! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have at least one of her books, I think it's The Art Of Eating, but have not read any yet. LOVE your header and the oranges!! So hers had been in the snow and she ate them icy cold straight from the snow?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post, Bonnie. I talked to my daughter on Sunday about the weather in Chicago. Some of their friends went to the game...crazy. I know it's Christmas when I see those lovely little oranges in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those special oranges. this year so far, can't seem to find teh seet ones. Still searching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first moved back to TN from TX (Dec. 2000)--someone brought me a house-warming gift of come Clementine Tangerines... I have never tasted anything so good and so sweet in my entire life.... We didn't have them in TX ---so I was thrilled to have them..Even to this day, I love those little tangerines... YUM....

    Be careful when going out and about in that weather. Ours isn't very good here either (about 12 degrees right now) and snowing again... We got about 6 inches here.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. No blizzard here- just a dusting of snow that has already disappeared- but the oranges are just as sweet. I remember when an orange in my Christmas stocking was truly a treat, because we only got them at Christmas! I'm so thankful for the sweet citrus this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the photo and I love the words retold. Stay warm by the fire. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely photo! The so-called blizzard never materialized here. We only got an inch or two but the wind and cold temps have been brutal! Thought I'd venture out in sub-zero temps and get some shopping done without crowds. Evidently, it's only snow that keeps people away.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.