Monday, December 6, 2010

Orange Marmalade

Orange marmalade is one of the easiest jam-like treats to make if you have seville oranges.   These rather ugly oranges are not grown in the U.S. and are rarely used for anything other than the making of marmalade even in the Mediterranean areas where they are grown.  But for the very best marmalade one must have them.  Harley's Ma Made is the only source I know of and I ordered this can from Amazon.  I think they are also available from Williams-Sonoma. 

You'll need sugar, of course, and a copper jam pot carried out of Budapest after the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 by a dear friend.  I'll let you wonder about this treasure for awhile and tell you more about it in a future post.

If you don't have such a pot, please substitute a heavy, 6 quart sauce pan.



Empty the oranges into the sauce pan and add 3/4 pint of water.

Stir in 4 pounds of sugar and bring to a boil, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.

Reduce heat and maintain the boil for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add 1/2 tbsp of butter to disperse the foam.

After 15 minutes, turn off heat and test for setting by putting a tsp onto a cold saucer.  Let it sit for a  minute and skim your finger over the surface.  If it wrinkles, it's ready.  If it doesn't put it back on the   heat for a minute or two.  Retest.

Allow to stand for a few minutes and carefully spoon off any foam that has collected.

Carefully pour into washed and warmed jars.  Immediately cover with the lids.

I then immerse in a water bath for ten minutes.  This is a precaution on my part and one you can skip if you are comfortable in doing so.

Remove from the water bath and sit on a towel.  The tops will start to pop.  Press down on them just to make sure.  Use any that didn't seal first.



It's ready for scones, biscuits, toast and....



....gifting!


ENJOY!

26 comments:

  1. I also buy this to make marmalade. Ina made it using ordinary oranges on her show a while back. It's a small batch and thought I may give that a try.

    I didn't know you could get the canned oranges through Amazon -- but then can't you get everything through Amazon?

    Your marmalade looks yummy! Love the different jars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that colour, this would make perfect gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful presentation, Bonnie... and I'm sure that it tastes just as good as it is beautiful! I am the only one in my house who likes orange marmalade, but I do so enjoy it on a hot biscuit slathered in butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great gift! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing more tasty than homemade marmalade. Oranges now are in season and this is the perfect excuse to make a beautiful marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for gift giving. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really dabbled in anything related to canning as of yet but I really should because it seems so delicious and because they would make for such great gifts! Yum! I would love to make some thumbprint cookies with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. January is our month for marmalade making here in the UK when Seville oranges are a plenty. I've also used Mamade which is very much easier than all the preparation of fresh oranges.
    Many years ago I made an enormous batch 40 lbs. My son ate almost all of it over time on his breakfast toast.
    Happy memories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am lucky..I live on mediterranean sea.... and in Sicily oranges are the best!!! Your marmelade is really bella bellissima, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMMM, this sounds and looks yummy! I used to can jellys and jams a lot, but have slacked off in recent years. This might get me going again! P.S. You asked about 'Temple Square' in your recent comment on my blog. Several others are curious too, so I wrote an explanation in today's post. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your marmalade looks gorgeous! I've never made jam, but I freeze fruit all the time. I should give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious! And your gifts are so pretty in their jars...lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the last two photos, so pretty and cute and festive. i met a lady today who made a orange cake, she used the lemon cake recipe and substituted orange for lemon. said it was delish

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bob adores orange marmalade so your recipe has found a new home. I'll have to make do with the standard pot version , but am anxiously awaiting the tale of your copper pot. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Bonnie for the recipe.... I enjoy Orange Marmalade every once in awhile.... We are "Strawberry Preserves" people in our home!!!!! BUT--I also love a really good Apple Butter.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Four pounds of sugar? I'm there!!! I'll take four dozen jars.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful colored marmalade. I bet it's really good on toast or on anything for that matter. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks beautiful, but I do not care for marmalade at all. However, I did have a Pampered Chef recipe that called for cut-up fruit mixed with a bit of orange marmalade. It was divine. But on toast? No, thanks.

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, now I'm ready for a hot biscuit with orange marmalade and a 'spot' of tea...

    ReplyDelete
  20. First off that pot, what stories it could tell if it could only speak. YOU do have an awesome treasure on your hands.

    I am drooling..... all your work truly pays off with gold in a jar. Yum on the sweet stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've made some beautiful gifts for your friends. Also like your vintage Christmas glasses in previous posts. I too finally finished our decorations ... and now to focus on other things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I won't even attempt to make it! But I'll sure eat some! Yours looks drool-worthy, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your marmalade is so pretty! I've made jelly and jam before, but never marmalade. It would make a perfect gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm eager to hear more about that pot...what a treasure! I'm also eager to try making this spread. I'm always looking for new jams and marmalade to slather on my homemade breads. Thank you so much for sharing! I hope you have a peace-filled day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never been a huge fan of marmalade because I think the peel is bitter, but I like the flavor. I just found out you could make/buy peel-less marmalade. I'd like to try that.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.