Thursday, December 2, 2010

Shrimp with Feta Cheese and Black Rice

I've been hearing quite a bit about the health benefits of black rice.  It's high in antioxidants, rich in iron and high in fiber.  And, if you believe the black rice industry, it prevents most major ailments known to man--I'm not buying into that quite yet.  I am buying into it's good looks, especially with pink shrimp on top, good texture and good taste.  The real benefit is that my husband will eat it.  Andrew does not care for white rice.  He finds it has no real benefit on his plate--no taste and very little nutrition.

I've prepared this dish many times.  It's very nice for company as it goes together very quickly once the chopping is done.


Shrimp with Feta Cheese (Garithes Meh Feta Titi) from The Grecian Plate Cookbook and my kitchen.

To serve 4:

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup butter
Juice of 1 lemon
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup of olive oil
3 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used canned whole tomatoes--five total--drained)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Black Rice (I used Lundberg Farms Black Japonica--in my regular grocery store) for four servings

Note:  The black rice takes about 50 minutes so plan accordingly.  Also, I used chicken stock instead of water in preparing the rice.

Saute shrimp in butter and lemon juice over medium high heat just until they turn pink.  Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, saute onions in the olive oil until opaque.  Add the garlic and saute for one minute more.  Add tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and wine;  simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Stir in the feta cheese and simmer, stirring, until the cheese softens--just a couple of minutes.

Add shrimp and briefly heat through.

Serve on a bed of rice.

ENJOY

27 comments:

  1. Especially during summer we eat a lot this dish but without the rice, just the shrimps with tomato sauce and crambled feta. I love it. Sometime I add a little bit of ouzo(Greek spirit) to add to its taste. Your version looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this recipe....here in Italy black rice's name is VENUS RICE...I like it and prepared it with shrimps, vanilla e coconut milk...delicious!!!

    HAve a nice day, hugs Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read recently that black is the new brown. I have it on my list of things to try. Shrimp with feta is always delish! It looks quite attractive on that bed of black!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like my kind of dish--and I bet it would be good with chicken too. I will have to try black rice ... hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recipe looks awesome! The best part of blogging is that you are learning all the time. I've never heard of black rice; but you can be sure, I will be looking for some. Thank you for your best wishes on my blog. I appreciate.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. That black rice makes for a beautiful presentation!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rice, all of it, but have not had black rice before. hubby does not like rice, he will eat it but prefers potatos. i was raised in the south and every table had rice on it no matter what was served, he was raised in the north and potatoes were on every table. he says he never heard of black rice either. i love wild rice

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds good. I love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not tried the black rice, but now I will. This dish looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen black rice. I have seen that long grain black looking rice. Will have to check that out at the farmers market.

    This dish looks so yummy... set another setting at the table for me and dh...

    YUM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Bonnie, I've never heard of or seen black rice... BUT--it may be a rice which I would actually enjoy. I'm like your hubby.. I do not like rice much at all --unless it is covered with gravy or some kind of sauce.... I'll have to look for the black rice sometime... That dish looked yummy.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting and unusual shrimp dish. It does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only is black rice good for you, but it presents beautifully! This dish is making my mouth water. I love shrimp paired with feta cheese, and I'm sure that the black rice is a wonderful backdrop. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've yet to make black rice, but I have a package in my pantry that was a gift. May have to get brave and try it!

    The shrimp dish sounds great--I love Greek food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There was a time when I thought I hade tried everything but so far today I have come across 2 types of rice I have never tried. This shrimp dish sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, it really does look colorful and exotic!! That shrimp would be great without anything else, just by itself! Don't they call that "The rice of emperors"? I seem to remember reading a little story on it's history on a bag of it in World Market.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If this tastes as good as it looks, yummy. The black rice makes it pop.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not tried black rice yet! Your dish has me inspired and I will look for it on my next trip to the grocery store. Sounds like it has a pretty impressive PR campaign ;) But good texture an good taste will be the ultimate selling points.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had a plate of black rice before. We usually buy a wild rice blend and it's delicious. Yes, it takes longer to prepare, but so much better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh, that makes my mouth water and it's past midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have been having so much fun trying different rice and grains. I have red, black, purple jasmine and bamboo! My sister and I have been adding grains to the rice mix too. You just have to make sure that it cooks the same time. Red rice doesn't take as long so it gets mushy if cooked with the others.

    This is a lovely looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonnie...I'm very pleased about the fact that you used a very different rice. I love experimenting with different flavours and I heard that the black rice variety is quite unique. Apparently there is an amazing pudding that's made with it too.

    Pairing the rice with the rest of the ingredients along with shrimps sounds spendidly yummy ;o)

    Great recipe. Thanks,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never made black rice for myself but have it at a Thai restaurant I go to all the time and love it. It looks great here along with the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just made this tonight and it was terrific! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.