Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Superfruit" Chutney

I'll be right upfront with you and admit to being misleading with the title of my post today.  In truth, I was afraid no one might want to see yet another cranberry recipe.  As for me, I can never get enough of the jewel-like berry that only offers itself up in the fall and am always on the alert for more ways in which to use it.

Yes, gentle readers, the cranberry is considered a "superfruit" so eat it in good health!

The recipe is from Betty Rosbottom's Cooking School Cookbook.  It has evolved to bear little resemblance to the original recipe but I think of it, still, as hers.  I came upon her cookbook quite by accident.  It was in early November 1988.  My husband was out of town and I had taken our two little boys out for dinner.  We'd been decadent and shared pizza and calzones while they told me about their day.  One of them needed poster board so we stopped at K-Mart.  As is still my habit, I had to look through the book section.  That's when I came upon Betty's book.  It was a warm and fuzzy outing with my boys and it always comes to mind when I do the cranberry chutney.



Some for a roasted duck at dinner this evening.  Some to go with our Christmas brunch ham.


Cranberry Chutney from Betty Rosbottom and greatly tweaked in my kitchen

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup chopped candied ginger
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

1.  Combine the water and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.  Stir to dissolve the sugar and then bring to a boil without stirring.
2.  Add all the remaining ingredients.  Boil very slowly, stirring occasionally, until fairly thick.  This will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
3.  Cool, cover and refrigerate.  The chutney keeps well for about a week.

Makes 2 cups.

ENJOY!


23 comments:

  1. Pam (above) is right.... this sounds so good...unfortunately...here we don't have any fresh cranberry!!!....hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have to admit I was not a fan of cranberries....UNITL I got hooked on the Apple Pecan salad from Wendy's and they include cranberries in that salad...I'm addicted!
    So this recipe looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ALWAYS looking for another good cranberry recipe. It's one of my favorite fruits and I've already stocked my freezer with a dozen bags to get me through till next berry season. This is so different than my recipe and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love the tartness of cranberries! And I love to see lots of recipes that include them. =) I often make a cranberry pecan pie, which totally works because the berries counterbalance the extreme sweetness that is found in pecan pie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are splendid. I have never made chutney; it's something we never had at our house. Your recipe is really tempting me to try it.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beautiful but unfortunately we do not have fresh cranberries either in Greece. It is such a pitty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cranberries. It looks yummy. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is pretty to look at and i am sure is very good. i have heard of iit but not tasted it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....and enjoy I will. Your chutney is a thing of beauty and demands to be tried. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bonnie... Looks delicious... I love Cranberries... My hubby found a recipe for a Cranberry Relish which we both love. It even goes well with fish and other meats...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore cranberries...they always remind me of holidays at home. This chutney recipe looks delicious. I love the addition of the vinegar. I'm eager to try that! Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Bonnie. The beautiful picture of the cranberries in the mason jar . . . it is so pretty, you could cut it out and hang it on your Christmas tree. Such a beautiful red. I love cranberries, as well.

    Merry Christmas.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie,

    I love Cranberries and I will be making this. Love the Weck (I think) jars.

    Thanks for stopping by. Are you using the Rebel for your photos?

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so Pretty!!! Dr. Oz had cranberries on and was saying how good they are for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Evan and I both love cranberries. However, I don't hold a candle to the way he loves them! This recipe will be a special treat for him. Thank you, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, yum, YUM!

    Have a little something for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do enjoy Betty Rosbottom's recipe and this one sounds wonderful. She often has featured recipes in our newspaper's food section. Love the story of how you found her :)

    I wish I were there for that roasted duck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious! Love all those flavors with the cranberries.
    I'm trying a new one this year with rosemary. Copying yours for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks beautiful and sounds good. As far as "chutney" I know it's a generic word, but I love a savory tomato chutney to go with a curry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you shouldn't be embarrassed about featuring another cranberry recipe, I would eat this all year round if cranberries were so abundant. This looks like a great combination, cranberry and ginger are one of my favorite combinations.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.