Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Braised Leeks

"The vichyssoise delicious was...." is a quote that I recall from years ago--I think attributed to Jackie Kennedy.  I have seldom used leeks except to put in the occasional potato soup pot.  Although I do like cold soups (in hot weather), vichyssoise, that sophisticated chilled potato and leek soup, is not on my favored list.   Last week I was browsing the produce department of my local grocery store looking for something a little different to perk up our dinner and the leeks were looking good.  A milder member of the onion family, leeks can be used fresh in salads.  They are quite delicious sliced, sauteed and added to other vegetables.  When braised, they become tender and mild tasting and add a touch of sophistication to a meal.  Only the white and a bit of the light green of the leek is best.  Some cooks like to save the dark green to toss in the pot when making stock.  I've found that it can be quite bitter and prefer not to take a chance.  Leeks can hide quite a bit of grit and dirt in their layers so they must be thoroughly washed before use.  The recipe that I'm sharing today is simple and simply delicious.



 Braised Leeks a recipe from Simply Recipes and From the Writer's Kitchen

4 to 6 leeks of uniform size
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp butter
2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf
1 cup vegetable stock or dry white wine
1/4 cup flat leafed parsley, chopped

1.  Cut the dark green leaves from the leeks then cut them in half, lengthwise.  Carefully pull back the layers and wash thoroughly.
2.  Use a saute pan large enough to hold the leeks in one layer.  Over medium heat, melt the butter.  Lower the heat and add the minced garlic and the leeks, cut side down.  Saute for two minutes, turn over and saute an additional two minutes.  Turn over so that the cut side is down, sprinkle with the sugar, the thyme leaves and a touch of salt.  Add the stock or wine and the bay leaf.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover and cook 30 to 35 minutes.
3.  When the leeks are tender, uncover the pot, raise the heat to a boil and reduce the liquid by half.  Sprinkle with the parsley.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. I've never braised leeks before, but I saw a recipe similar to this and it looked just as delicious. Maybe I'll have to force myself out of my veggie comfort zone and give these a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never cooked with leeks. I am looking forwards to trying it. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love leeks and look forward to the Spring when I can head to the farmers market for bucket loads of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,

    Lovely. I have made something very similar.

    Have a great day.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is very pretty. i have never eaten a leek or even seen one that i know of. i don't like onions so i am sure i would not want one. i eat cooked onions but only when forced to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I've been on vacation for awhile and now it's time to start cooking again. I've looked at all your posts I've missed and see some yummy looking recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely. I can almost smell it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dish demands to be tried. As soon as local leeks come to market these leeks will be on my table. Have a wonderful day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had the pleasure partaking of this garden delight. May have to get some from the farmers market and try them. I do remember hearing they need a good washing. If you had not have mentioned about the bitterness I would have used the whole stalk.

    Stay warm and home if you can. You are getting snow again... ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had leeks and know what they are --but can't say that I have ever bought them. I love onions --so I'm sure I would love your Braised Leeks. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound great to me! I always find myself picking at onions, in a dish why not make them the star?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had leeks! I guess because of all the washing. But this looks very good. We love green onions, how do leeks taste different?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ginny: Leeks are quite a bit larger than green onions and milder in flavor.

    Sandra: You probably wouldn't identify the taste of leeks with onions. They are very mild in flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leeks are one of my favorite veggies. I haven't tried them braised - will have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leeks are so delicious prepared this way! I also loved them with a cream sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I make a leek soup that is like a creamed soup. Do you just serve these as a vegetable? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i actually adore the almost buttery flavor of leeks and I bet braising them makes them fall-apart delicious! These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always associate braised leeks with the Europeans. Americans don't seem to appreciate leeks as much as, say the French do. It's a shame too, because they are delicious.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thnka you for this recipe; I love leeks and was looking for a recipe jsut like yours. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love leeks in soup- their mild onion flavor is one that I'm fond of. These braised leeks sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.