Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Broccoli for all Seasons

Why doesn't summer, and the farmers' market, come right after Christmas?  This question is not for you people in parts of the country that have year-round markets.  You know who you are.  I want to be in your position.  Hmmm, maybe that would be a good vacation theme--just start in January traveling to areas where one could feast on locally grown produce (especially tomatoes) for a few days.  I can see the headline in the travel magazines--"Locavore Destinations".

After the delicious indulgences of the past few weeks, I'm craving simplicity.  A bunch of broccoli was enticingly tucked into one of the crisper drawers.  It was green and fresh and not in need of being swathed in a cheese sauce.  I do that--some kind of sauce--fairly often.  In fact, at the end of one of our long-distance moves while sitting on the floor and dining on a large yet unpacked box, my four-year old, viewing his microwaved broccoli, turned to me and asked "where is the hollandaise?"!!  

Here's our favorite broccoli dish for any season.  I photographed it in the pan because my husband, in passing, mentioned that it would be nice to have it hot.  Maybe I've been lingering too long over those food styling moments?



Broccoli sauteed with garlic


1 bunch fresh broccoli (about a pound)
Salt
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley


1.  Place the broccoli spears into boiling salted water until they can easily be pierced with a fork--about five to seven minutes.  Drain immediately and set aside.  This can be done several hours ahead just don't refrigerate.
2.  In a skillet large enough to hold the broccoli in one layer, saute the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until it colors slightly (about a minute).  Add the broccoli, salt and parsley and saute lightly for two to three minutes.


Serve hot.


ENJOY!

28 comments:

  1. I love broccoli and this is my kind of recipe, easy, quick and healthy! Had posted something similar on my site too. Good to have come here from Fodessa' site. Best wishes.

    Lite Bite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broccoli with garlic, now that sounds OK too. I shall try that, Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It made me smile when your husband said he wanted to have it hot:D Sigh, what we bloggers go through to be creative...wink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems one of the things we foodie bloggers are starting to have in common...is our loved ones being patient while we take a decent photo of what we make. To be honest, I miss eating hot too ;o))

    Happy New Year Bonnie and looking forward to what else you've got up that sleeve of yours ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this broccoli nrecipe.... I'm going to cook them for dinner.... hugs and have a wonderful 2011, hugs Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH YUM!!! I adore brocoli, your colors are so bright. This sounds like heaven to my tastebuds. Where is the 4 legged one? Did he learn his lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to come to NYC to use our year-round market you are SO welcome! This broccoli looks wonderful though. I am so craving greens right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi from a place that has year round produce markets, sorry, had to say it. and I love broccoli, this is so easy and sounds delish

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love broccoli, but I never thought about using garlic. This is one thing in which we can have all we want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you on the simplicity. That's what I enjoy about January. Life and house back to normal. Your broccoli looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color of broccoli prepared this way. I also love the photo in your header. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is almost identical to my favorite broccoli recipe, but I add some red pepper flakes. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This broccoli dish is proof that simple is best. And after these past few weeks where I am still recovering from my food coma, this is perfect.

    Velva

    P.S. I won't mention that I am from one of those year round local produce markets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes the simplest things are the best! I love broccoli, and have even roasted it. I also love to make broccoli cheese soup with potatoes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple is often the bast; broccoli is on our table at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We eat broccoli often. I just steam them and mix it with toasted garlic and butter. Never thought of adding parsley. Got to add some the the next time and I like that you use olive oil. Much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ummm, I have broccoli in my fridge; perhaps that's a dinner veggie for tonight! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I was a kid I used to hate broccoli. Now they are one of my most loved veggies. I think I am going to like this dish. It is simple and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just am totally smitten with broccoli but dang~it if I can't get the Hubs to eat it...no way...no how!

    God bless ya sweetie and have a magnificent New Year!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bonnie, I love broccoli--anyway I can get it. Your recipe sounds really good... I may try it...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really laughed, Bonnie, at your husbands comment. What are families have to endure for the sake . . . of THE BLOG.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. loved the simple n yummy stir fry ! healthy n very inviting !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hear you about being ready for some simple, fresh food! The broccoli looks to fit the bill perfectly. And, your header is wonderful, creative photography, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a great shot of the broccoli! I've never made any kind of sauce for broccoli - I love it just as you've cooked it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks easy, delicious and perfect for my resolution to eat more veggies. :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.