Friday, January 14, 2011

Linguine with Red Clam Sauce

Thank you all for the kind birthday wishes!  The weather was terrible.  Instead of my requested trip to the Chicago Botanic Gardens (they are quite lovely in winter), a stop at a few favorite stores in Highland Park and lunch at Prairie (all of which has merely been postponed), we stayed in, puttered around (nothing too much on my part as the birthday girl), watched "My Life as a Dog" (funny and poignant) and had a delicious hamburger (prepared by A. at my request).  The cake (which some of you have asked about) will come later in my celebration with my dear friends and birthday month sharers.  Last evening at my Muse meeting, I was served a delicious Black Forest trifle with candles!  My philosophy is if you have to age, take a long time doing so!!  The celebrations have just begun!

Taking down the Christmas tree and putting away the rest of the holiday decor puts me in the mood to clean out even more.  This time the refrigerator and pantry was on my radar to dig into, use up and make more user friendly.

As I was working on the pantry, I realized that I had almost everything I needed to make this linguine with red clam sauce.  The recipe was given to me by our pediatrician's wife when we lived in Texas.  She had adapted it to use canned clams as fresh ones were just not available to us in Lubbock at that time.  Although I've occasionally added a few fresh clams for visual interest, the canned work very well.

This is truly a winter recipe as it uses dried herbs and canned tomatoes.  Don't be tempted to leave out the anchovies as they add a very nice and subtle flavor dimension to the dish.  I assure you, no one will glance over and ask "are there anchovies in the sauce"?



Linguine with Red Clam Sauce from Connie I. and From the Kitchen

1 (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
3 fat cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/3 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
4 flat anchovies, rinsed and finely minced
1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
2 (6.5 ounce) cans chopped clams with their juice
2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped

1 (16 ounce) package of linguine.

1. In a large pot, combine the tomatoes, capers, garlic, sugar, herbs, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper,  anchovies and clam juice.  Bring to a boil, cover, and lower the heat to a simmer for about an hour.  Stir occasionally. 

2. Prepare the linguine according to package instructions.

3. Add the clams and chopped parsley to the sauce and cook for another five minutes.

4.  Serve over pasta. 

Enjoy!

31 comments:

  1. Bonnie,

    I will be making this very soon. Just showed the picture to my husband and he voted yes!

    I have been in a cleaning out mode. Also there is horrible bug, cough, cold thing going around and I don't want to catch it!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of restaraunt is Prarie? Well, now you will still have the trip to look forward to, I want to see lots of pictures! I'm so glad you are still celebrating! I think the older we get, the longer we need to celebrate, becuae look how long it took us to get to this age! The clam sauce looks so easy!!! But I don't like shellfish, what else could I use, maybe tuna? Isn't there a similar dish like that called tonado or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummy yummy I got love in my tummy. What a spectaular dish, it reminds me of my Italian Godmother!
    Hi Bonnie, I have missed so many of your posts. I loved the whirlwind tour of your lovely town and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You know you have all month to celebrate right? I'll try to post this weekend so you know what I've been up to.

    xoxo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live is a lovely dish to use what is in our cupboards. Delicious too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anchovies really are the best "secret" ingredient. This pasta sounds wonderful!

    I'm so glad to hear you had such a tasty birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will adopt that attitude next birthday...spread it out and make it last longer. If we can do that for Christmas at Jesus birth...why can I...

    Cake, cake and more cake...

    Yummy looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...Happy Belated Birthday! My darn blog is NOT updating my blogroll, and I am missing GOOD stuff!!! Hope it was happy! I do torts in broth a lot!!!! Add spinach and parm...best comfort food ever!!
    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. since i don't cook,just like to eat what all you cooks come up with, i will comment on the clean up part of your post. i have been feeling the desire to attack my closets, get rid of anything not in use and my decorations are still up, i keep saying when it warms up, then it will warm and I will say i want to go outside. I do need to get away from my computer and CLEAN, but not cook. not me... hubby is putting a big pot of turkey chili on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum -- I'm printing it out and giving this recipe a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK..Bonnie..tell me the true : you are Italian!!!!You are an Italian inside an American body.... I'm really proud to know that you are so good in italian food!!!! Brava, hugs, Flavia

    you and your friends ..come to visit my blog tomorrow...anyway...have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday :) Of course you need to make it a long celebration; why not? with cake everyday!!!

    I think the recipe looks scrumptious...ahh, I love seafood and I can smell it now. But since my husband is the cook in our family, I will print it out and get it to him so we can enjoy it this week...thanks so much Dear and please enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ryan and I have been craving clams and pasta...but we don't want to shell out the 40 bucks to go out to a restaurant. I'm SO GLAD you posted this recipe. I'm bookmarking it right now. Thank you for sharing such a great meal. I hope your weekend overflows with good food, good friends, and love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love any kind of pasta dish but have never done a Red Clam Sauce. This is a "must" try for me.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM YUM YUM!! This always reminds me of the trip my 2 best friends and I took to FL after our senior year of h.s. I made linguini w/clam sauce and we felt oh so grown up and metropolitan! Sorry I missed your B-day. Let me wish you happy birthday now as part of the ongoing celebration! No fresh clams in Lubbock? Get outta here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one that I will certainly try! It combines several of my favorite things: pasta, clams, and sauce! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds delicious, Bonnie. I'm sorry weather forced postponement of your plans, but "tomorrow is another day." I have a white clam sauce that is made completely from the pantry. It's almost as good as your red :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why is it that the wintry months make me want to eat??? This looks scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes---the older we all get, the more we HAVE to celebrate... Glad you are going to celebrate your birthday on several occasions...

    The Linguine with Clam Sauce sounds so good... YUM..

    We did get out today to get some groceries and run some errands. The main roads were good and the back roads were fair, due to the snow and ice.. It was nice to get out though.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet that is delish!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never made or tasted this lovely sauce; look wonderful and very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you get to do all that you have planned.

    I was scrolling through your pages an' you have my mouth watering. Mmmmm, but that all looks goodie! What time do you want me to show up for dinner? I'm a great taste-tester.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  22. I forgot to thank you for showing me the way to your home on the web. I really like your house.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anchovies would be a stretch for me, but the rest sounds delicious. It could be I've never "known" them inside a recipe, just on a pizza!

    Enjoy cleaning out--such a good feeling.

    My first nursing job was at HP hospital. I probably would not recognize the town today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I love the flavor of clams with a good red sauce.

    Happy late birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bonnie, I ordered the Cuisinart electric pressure cooker! Can't wait for it to get here. I'll let you know how it does!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved the list of what you wanted to do on your birthday, and hope you still get to go to all those fun places. Especially, like it that you ask for what your want, Bonnie. Most husbands would love to know what their wife really wants :) Happy Birthday month.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love red clam sauce and I agree I think that anchovies add a wonderful savory depth of flavor that can't be achieved otherwise. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love anchovies as long as I don't see them. They really punch up the flavor of a dish! This linguine sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the combination of sea fruits and pasta. They are meant to be together. this dish looks absolutely mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I, too, have been in a cleaning mode and yesterday I finally finished the attic -- the last place to clean!!!! (Well, there is the garage but it's not attached and it's been too cold -- I'll save that for spring!) And I feel soooo good! Almost like a rebirth!!!!

    Love the linguine with red clam sauce -- in early married years that one was one of the "gourmet" dishes that I would prepare for company -- thought I was so sophisticated! As I can't find my recipe, some snowy winter evening I'll try yours -- I'm getting a can of clams to keep in the pantry -- just waiting for that snowy day!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.