Monday, January 31, 2011

Snow and a Chocolate Bread Pudding

According to the weatherperson, "it's" coming!  According to my husband, "it" isn't!!  What's coming or not?  Why the biggest snow storm ever for the Chicago area.  There are variables, according to the weatherman, to take into consideration.  Depending on the variable, the storm may go south....or north....or jump right over us and head to New York City.  Well, I made that part about NYC up.  And truly I don't wish any more snow on the Big Apple.

When one is faced with the possibility of really inclement weather, it's always good to prepare something fortifying just in case.  So far this snow season, we've had an inch here and there.  The temperatures have fallen into the single digits.  We have, however, been spared a humdinger of a storm.  I decided that a humdinger of a dessert was in order to give us strength for the possibility of lots of snow.  It will also  give Andrew strength to shovel whatever falls.  We invited the neighbors over to share the luscious treat.  After all, they are the ones with a snow blower.




Chocolate Bread Pudding

12-inch, day old, French baguette, cut into 1/3 inch slices and the slices halved
2 cups whole milk
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup sugar
10 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Unsweetened whipped cream

1.  Butter a 3 quart souffle dish.  Place the bread into the dish.
2.  Heat the milk, half and half, sugar, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate.  Allow to stand for 2-3 minutes then whisk until smooth.  Lightly beat the eggs together and then slowly mix into the chocolate mixture until combined.  Stir in the vanilla.  Pour the mixture over the bread, press the bread down and allow to stand at room temperature for about one hour.
2.  Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
3.  Dot the top of the pudding with the bits of butter.
4.  Place the souffle dish into a larger pan.  Place on a rack in the middle of the oven.  Fill the pan with enough hot water to come up several inches on the souffle dish.  
5.  Bake about 45 minutes to an hour or until the edges are set and the center not quite set.  Cool to warm.  The pudding will continue to set as it cools.  
6.  Serve with the whipped cream.
7.  You may now proceed with snow removal.

ENJOY!

33 comments:

  1. It's a good thing to keep on the good side of your neighbours. Now this has me wishing we were neighbours even if you have snow coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! I wish to be in Chicago..now to hasve a part of this chocolate bread pudding!!!Hugs and have a nice week, ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  3. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! I wish to be in Chicago..now to hasve a part of this chocolate bread pudding!!!Hugs and have a nice week, ciao Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,

    It is very early and my stomach is growling reading this recipe. I better go make some coffee and then read this recipe again. Yum.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like the perfect food to fortify a person for whatever weather comes your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such a yummy chocolate pudding. my mouth is watering again! Sun shining here in Norfolk UK but cold. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. For that tasty treat, I will shovel the snow with the old standard shovel in hand. Let me know and I will be right up. OH, and some hot chocolate too please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate is always good and it's a real fortifier for snow shoveling! Looks yummy! We, too, are supposed to be "in" for it!!! Ice first, however, which isn't nice -- I may be housebound again for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, if I had this dish in front of me, I'd never leave the house!! Hope the snow doesn't pound too badly on the Chicagoland area!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we were raised on bread pudding, and i love it, but none as spectacular looking as this one. humdinger it is. hope the snow jumps over you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I'd shovel snow for you, Bonnie!! I do love a good bread pudding. I've never had any variety I did not find pleasing, but chocolate sounds particularly good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, as a frie1nd of mine woud say "to die for!" Oh boy, it looks wonderfully sinful. Hope you stay warm and indoors. The rain came down last night in a downpour and it's supposed to rain on the commute this morning. I can't wait for spring and summer weather.

    xo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the "biggest snow storm ever" takes a detour and passes you by. My daughter lives in Chicago and I'm always impressed by how well the city handles a big storm. Where I live, one inch and the whole city goes crazy.

    I would LOVE a serving of this sinful pudding with a big spoonful of whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM, Bonnie... That bread pudding sounds fabulous. Just thinking about it makes me hungry!!!!! ha

    Hope the big storm misses you...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! I might even help you shovel the snow for some of that! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you chose the right sweet for this unstable weather. It looks absolutley decadent and temptational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, I'm in Chicago and everyone has been talking about this storm that's coming . . . I wonder if my boss would be sympathetic if I called out in advance. =) Heh heh. Probably not.
    Anyway, we just stocked up at the grocery store, so if I end up being stuck in my apartment by some miracle, I can spend all day chowing down on delights such as roast pork loin, asparagus, etc.
    Your chocolate bread pudding looks like just the thing to round it all off!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heard about the big storm going your way. A good time to stay home and cook. I have always wanted to make Chocolatbrad pudding, but never did; Your recipe is sure tempting me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man, this looks so good!!! I want to buy a snowblower and move next door. What will you feed me if I buy a PLOW? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just can't get past the photo of the choc bread pudding to read your post on snow! Oh my! It belongs in chocolate heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! new to your blog today. I am working on a project and was wondering if you'd like to submit a recipe for it. Can you e-mail me @ slim-shoppin@comcast.net and I'll give you the details.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If we do get snowed it I may be forced to make this wonderful bread pudding! I love bread pudding but have been too afraid to make it for fear I'll eat it all myself.

    I just checked and they have now changed our Blizzard Watch to a Blizzard Warning! Oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my how yummy! I will be copying that recipe. I'm afraid this storm is headed your way. My daughter lives in St. Louis; she called to say they already had icing. Be safe!

    Thank you so much visiting my blog! I, too, enjoy meeting up with those who share my name.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my...YUM! That looks wonderful!! And just the thing for a snowy day. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't made this in a long time, but remember how surprisingly delicious it was warm, and so comforting. I certainly hope you don't get the biggest storm in history, but it sounds like you m i g h t ... be careful and hopefully your neighbor will be out and about :-) and quite helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow that sounds good. Have you ever tried it with regular sliced white bread? I have lots of bread ends at the diner...I have bags and bags of bread crumbs so something different, especially something chocolaty, would be very good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This look absolutely delicious gloria

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought of you, Bonnie, when I heard the weather prediction tonight. I hope the storm won't be as bad as predicted. We certainly don't need any more snow here in NY! ACK!

    Stay warm and cozy and enjoy this amazing chocolate bread pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Day old bread and chocolate...stop...you're spoiling us Bonnie. LOL

    How could I resist this sinple and yet satisfying treat ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks soooo good! Chocolaty decadent. :) I just talked to my son and he says there's thunder, lightning and snow- and lots of it. Keep warm and stay on your neighbor's good side!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my! I love bread pudding but I've never even thought to make a chocolate one! This looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This bread pudding looks sinfully delicious. Hope you guys are recovering from your storm. I don't know about you but I'm really ready for summer.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.