Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Citrus Supreme Salad and Poppy Seed Dressing

After a few days of sunshine, the sky is gray and rain is changing over to snow.   I needed something bright and fresh on the table.  When I hosted my book group, The Muses, last week, I did this salad to go along with a quiche.  I still had the dressing on hand as well as a grapefruit, a couple of oranges and some green grapes.  It was perfect to accompany French bread layered with a sharp cheddar and toasted under the broiler.

And, it was a quick meal that allowed me time to read my 300+ e-mails that awaited me when I finally got back into my "mailbox" early this afternoon.  I was so elated that I almost read the ones with the fantastic offers.  The ones that said:  "Purchase this Rolex for just $19.99!!!!!".  Please let me know if you'd like me to forward that one to you.

Today, I am linking to Foodie Friday.

Here's my recipe for poppyseed dressing:


Poppy Seed Dressing

1/3 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Fleur de Sel (or Morton's)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp minced onion
1 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp poppy seeds

Place the first five ingredients into a food processor and pulse a few times to mix.  With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil.  Turn the processor off and add the poppy seeds.  Pulse a few times to mix.  Refrigerate, bringing to room temperature before using.  The dressing keeps in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.



Citrus Supreme Salad

For the two of us, I used I ruby red grapefruit, two naval oranges, a handful of green grapes and a green leaf lettuce.

To make the supremes, use a well sharpened knife and cut off the peel and all the white pith from the grapefruit and the oranges.  There's a good tutorial at  All Recipes.  Holding the fruit over a bowl, cut the sections away between the membrane.  Juices will be caught in the bowl and that's good. 

Just before serving, add the poppy seed dressing to taste and toss with the juices, the fruit and the lettuce.  I use a slotted spoon for putting the salad into bowls but serving all the juices and dressing is quite delicious as well.

Enjoy! 


35 comments:

  1. Love the name of your Book club; The Muses.
    Great lunch that you served; thank you for the poppy seed dressing recipe; sounds just like what I was looking for.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dressing that's very similar (if not the same) for a spinach and strawberry salad, it's very good! Lovin' the beautiful colors of your salad:@) Woke to about 3" of snow this morning, boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. II see a storm up there has descended on you all again, will winter never end?

    This is a lovely summer salad, you can dream of warm breezes while you savor each bite.

    300 emails... OUCH or then you can look at it on how much you are loved.

    Spam mail, Oh...that is okay, please keep that fantastic offer for you and you alone. You can take them up on the offer and then tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love citrus salads! Haven't made one in a while b/c the BH dislikes grapefruit, and I think it a sin to have a citrus salad without grapefruit :) I'll wait till he goes on a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love poppyseed dressing especially with citrus salad-- mine has a touch of grenedine in it -- it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad seems like a really good idea. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy! I'm sure your friends enjoyed that meal. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy poppy seed dressing in the past with spinach and red onions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got your email working.... Don't you just love those 'spam' ones????? They go into my junk file --but I still check them to make sure a good one is not in there.

    Love your fruit salad and poppy seed dressing... I used to order that when we would eat at the Tea Room --when I was working fulltime in Texas.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will save the dressing recipe for sure. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dressing looks divine!

    What types of books do you and your book club read? I find book clubs fascinating but have never belonged to one.
    have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love citrus salads! That dressing looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dressing looks so yummy. Thanks for following me, and I am also following you. Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't know how you do it but the salad is stunning. it looks good enough to eat. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dressing sounds delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, this citrus salad looks so light and refreshing. Really great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm the kind of person who will only eat salad if I have the right dressing.
    Your poppyseed dressing sounds wonderful- like of punch of flavor with each bite. And I absolutely love mustard in dressings! Very yum!
    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful salad!! What is the red in it, is that red grapefruit? So glad your email got fixed, what was the problem? I think I'll pass on the Rolex!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so good and refreshing. A friend's mom used to make it for all her salads and they were delicious.. I especially remember a cabbage salad she made with it... but i never got the recipe... thanks for passing one along!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping back, I thought you might get a kick out of the cook-along, especially since you're on Team Ina and all:@)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Click on "about me" and send me an e-mail, I'll show you how easy joining in is, you'll have so much fun with all of the parties out there! And I promise not to spam you with 300 e-mails, although I do have a very nice Rolex for sale:@)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorite muffins are lemon poppy seed. Now, I want to get my hands on the dressing! What a great hostess you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love grapefruit on salads. I had a fabulous shrimp and grapefruit salad many years ago. It was memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Send me a quick e-mail Bonnie so I can answer your question. Thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love a citrus salad with a poppy seed dressing. Thanks for sharing this.

    Question, what is Team Ina???

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love a good poppyseed dressing, but have never had a recipe for one. Thanks for this one, your salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see more of you. Your Poppy Seed Dressing is on my list to try. Your citrus salad looks divine:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the poppy seed dressing!I will try to make this at home - A friend of mine shared a walnut-maple syrup dressing recipe which I've made before - for me the big task is to get my kids to eat the salad - they'd sooner eat the dressing alone (lol)
    Also meant to ask you which Taste of India you meant - The one here is a grocery store...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can imagine how refreshing and delightful this salad could be with the poppy seed dressing. Thanks for sharing.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  30. This dressing sounds so good! Perhaps I'll make some right now...

    http://film-food.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love poppy seed dressing - love the cute bottle you put it in too!

    Happy Foodie Friday
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love poppy seed dressing. And your photos are just fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.