Monday, February 21, 2011

Raised Waffles

Have you ever spent an entire day with a telephone at your left ear and your fingers poised over and around your computer?  That was my yesterday.  Late Saturday evening, I found that I couldn't access my e-mail.  How can one go to bed without checking what's in her e-mail box?  Next morning I could hardly wait for the coffee to perk so I could (surely) access my e-mail.   I was still DISCONNECTED!  Let me just make a long story short--Sunday was spent with my good friends at AT&T and Apple.  AND I STILL CAN'T GET INTO MY E-MAIL!!!!!  Moving on:

I saw these waffles while visiting Barbara over at Moveable Feasts several months ago.  They looked so delicious that I decided to make them as soon as I replaced our old waffle iron (the one left behind when we moved twenty years ago!).  Barbara used Marion Cunningham's recipe.  Mine is just slightly different and I can't remember where it came from.  Since it was written down on a pristine recipe card (obviously never used), that's the one I took into the kitchen.  


The waffles are wonderful.  The added bonus is that most of the work is done the night before!


 

Raised Overnight Waffles inspired by Barbara and Marion Cunningham

1/2 tsp instant yeast (I like SAF)
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups warm milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla
vegetable oil for the waffle iron
2 large eggs

1.  The night before, combine the dry ingredients.  Stir into them the slightly warm milk (about 100 degrees), butter and vanilla.  The mixture will be thin.  Cover with plastic wrap topped with a dish towel. Put aside at room temperature overnight.  The next morning, you will see that the batter has risen but returned to it's previous volume overnight.
2.  After a good night's sleep, lightly oil the waffle iron and preheat it.  Separate the eggs, slightly beat the yolks and stir them into the batter.  Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.  Gently stir/fold them into the batter.
3.  Ladle about a half cup (this will depend on the size of your waffle maker) of the batter onto the waffle iron and close immediately.  Bake until done, about 4 to 5 minutes.  Serve right away or keep for no more than ten minutes in a warm oven.
4.  Leftovers freeze and reheat well.  Just pop them onto a rack and into a 400 degree oven for about ten minutes.

ENJOY

36 comments:

  1. Good and tasty recipe!!!Have a great week, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love waffles and yours look wonderful. Alas! I don't have a waffle iron, so I have to get my fix on the rare occasions when I have breakfast out. Who wants to go out for breakfast this morning???
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch, I know the feeling, usually this happens every 3 months with us. Hope you do get to the mail soon.

    Yeast, now I have never thought of making a batter with that. Will have to try it when I get a new iron. A few weeks ago, ours pooped out. Looks like I need to get one very soon.

    Yum... my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis looks very good. I have not eaten waffles in a very long time. In fact, do not have a waffle iron anymore. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belgian waffles are made with yeast, so these really appeal to me! I can't think of a bad time to eat waffles!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had waffles with yeast in them! I am positive those would be pretty incredible! Hope you get your e-mail issues resolved! Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just know I wouls love these with some seasonal fruits.Boy do I need a waffle maker!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately I'm not coming to USA at the moment....but I really would like to come back soon.....next summer we are going to Japan....but who knows....

    Chicago is one of my USA favourite city!!! Ciao , Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks like my favorite breakfast for when we eat out, this is what i always order. yummm and i can't imagine being without email, that is a true horror story

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I just love Barbara. She is a terrific broad. These waffles remind me of the ones my grandmother made...they were delicious. My grandma was a crank, but the waffles were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! It has been so long since I've made waffles from scratch. I'm in need of a new waffle iron. It was one of those things I thought was not worth the move when packing. But we do miss the occasional homemade waffles.
    Have a great week!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me laugh... OKAY, if you feed me my choice of meals from your blog and then some along with these waffles I will do it and I will sing while I work... Do you have ear plugs?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Le conosco!! Sono di un buono! Un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know me I am a sucker for waffles! I can't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is sooo frustrating waiting on the phone to have someone help you with the computer. Hope you got the email working.
    The other day I really was looking at these waffle pan and i walked away; now I'm sorry. These look so good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had trouble with my email on aol all of last week. So frustrating! Waffles and bacon...ah yes, a family favorite for sure! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm - Now I'm craving a waffle because these look and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Bonnie, Sorry about your email... I don't understand.. Hope you get it fixed soon.

    I love waffles --and yours look wonderful. I seldom eat waffles or pancakes --but love them both... Thanks!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooohh....these sound so wonderful! I will try them soon. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am making waffles, all of you who don't have a waffle iron come on over! We will have raspberries and blackberries with them. Well, those of you who DO have a waffle iron can come too. Might as well make a party out of it.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw these yummy waffles on Barbara's site. I really like that they can be made the night before. Wish I had a waffle maker, but sadly no room in the inn.

    Hope your email problems get resolved pronto. I would be soooo frustrated.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of raised waffles!! They look wonderful! It took me forever to find a waffle iron with plates that came out to wash, and it is real little, but you just can't find them unless you spend a lot and get like a grill. Why can't they help you with your mail?? Is it the internet provider or the mail program? Have they even found the source yet? How frustrating!! When it does come in, I hope it's all there, you will have quite a backlog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did you get any batter on the recipe card?! I started craving waffles last evening when Foodography showed a story about a Waffle Window drive-up. I'd go there for this one (since I the then-husband got the waffle-maker).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Bonnie! Wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Loved having you. Please come back any time! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!! can you hear me screaming in sympathy for you all the way over the Atlantic!!!... I can't bare this kind of nonsense from the companies we pay a FORTUNE to to make things work...WTF!!!! Oh i may need to sit down and have a nice cup of tea and try to relax... if only I had a recipe for waffles.... oh...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm pretty much a low-carb breakfast eater, but these really look good. I know my hubby would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooo yummy! Love waffles.

    Have a good one.

    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  28. I so feel your frustration. I have been there and it almost always ends up being something simple. I hope it is for you as well. Just thinking about waffles makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Waffles make everything better, don't they? Carla

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am a firm believer that anything that you prepare the night before you cook/eat it is always better! These waffles look fantastic, perfectly crisp and fluffy.

    I just found your blog and I love it :-) I am excited to see more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm very intrigued by these waffles. I've never tried a recipe with yeast before (but you know I love the stuff!) I'm so sorry about your email. I know how frustrating that can be! Thanks for sharing, my friend. They look scrumptious. Many blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love making waffles like this - it's so much easier to throw the ingredients together the night before (read - when still awake!) than it is the next morning when all you want is to keep on sleeping. Yours look wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Delicious! I really love the fact that the batter is made the night before. I'm not at my best in the mornings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the idea of having most of the batter made the night before. My boys are so hungry in the morning that they don't have the patience to wait for me to make anything!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.