Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Eggs Cocotte

When it's good, it's good and when it's bad, it's really bad!  I'm not speaking of this recipe--it's very good.  No, I'm speaking of the problem I've had with my e-mail since February 19.  I've spent countless hours on the phone with my server only to be passed off to the computer folks who pass me back only to find me passed back.  Confusing?  Oh, yes!  I now have new friends at each place.  My e-mail, however, is still not working!!  I'm resting before "suiting up" and heading back into the fray.

Andrew and I have a delicious routine of heading into the Loop on the weekend.  One of our favorite spots for brunch is Cafe des Architects in the Sofitel Hotel.  We've never been disappointed with the food or the service--especially with the basket of morning pastries they bring.  The croissants, brioches and thick slices of crusty French bread are joined by several flaky fruit pastries and we always leave with a doggy bag.  Alas, Oliver receives not a crumb!

A few weeks ago, I ordered poached eggs.  They arrived on a bed of onions and potatoes in a petite casserole, perfectly poached and delicious.  When I remembered the Le Creuset cocottes that I had waiting to be used, I seized on the opportunity and tried to duplicate the dish.  I didn't attempt the poached eggs--they were too perfect and I knew mine would need practice.  Instead, I simply baked the eggs on top.

Here's my attempt at the dish.





Eggs Cocotte for Two as inspired by Cafe des Architectes

1 Tbsp room temperature butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup (or so) diced potatoes (I used fingerlings and sliced them since they were small)
1 cup (or so) diced red, green or yellow onions
2 eggs
1 Tbsp chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350

1.  Generously butter two cocottes (or small ramekins)
2.  Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan.  Add the potatoes and saute over low heat for about five minutes--just until starting to brown.  Add the onions, salt and pepper to taste and saute another five minutes or so until translucent.  The cocottes will only spend a short time in the oven so prepare the vegetables to your liking as they won't really cook much more in the oven.
3.  Divide the mixture between the two cocottes.
4.  Top each with an egg (or two, if you are a two-egg person)
5.  Sprinkle the egg(s) with a dusting of Parmesan cheese and place in the oven until the yolks are set but not firm, about five minutes.  They should be done to you taste.  Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.


ENJOY!

31 comments:

  1. This looks really delicious. I love egg dishes. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy! Hope your email is working soon. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! I love everything in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome...I love to eat eggs and m always looking for something new....so thanks for your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, sounds like "customer No HELP". Put on your suit of armor and get in your hummer and stand firm with drawn swords....

    So you scoff it all down and inhale all the crumb and poor Ollie gets nary a crumb? (nary= southern slang for the word "None" as in Nothing. Just in case you forgot from being up north with all those Yankees.)

    WOW, I inhaled deeply when that photo popped up, my goodness.... I could have taken that bite right off that spoon.

    This is something I can do.

    Question: do you put the lid on the small pot at anytime during the cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious. I've thought about those cocotte's and now since I've seen your post . . . .I do love baked eggs and do them sometimes in gratin dishes. They're great way to fix eggs for a crowd but I've never done them "with"! I may have to reconsider those cocotte's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am now wondering what program you use for your email, i mean outlook? yahoo? windows live? could you change what you use and cure the problem? sounds strange that the tech's can't help. my mind has kicked in. hummm can't stop thinking about it. this looks pretty but i don't like eggs or onions so not for me. i can eat a scrambled egg that is cooked really well done or a cheese omelet really well done but do not care for eggs. i do like egg salad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh...Bonnie...you certainly brought me way back to when my Mommy surprised me with this delighful dish. I shall now maybe do the same for her ;o)

    Have a great day,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very lovely dish. Perfectly poached eggs that practice. You have a spotted something or other around the house that would certainly take care of the mistakes....yes? Darn computer problems. Time to assert a little more ummmph into the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cocottes. Your egg dish looks delish:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Presentation only.
    I have a photo for you, how can I get it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum!!! It looks and sounds delicious! Sorry about your email, how frustrating! I am just thankful my son is the IT director where he works and takes care of it all for me as I don't have a clue! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those little cocottes. I gave a set of them to my step mom for her birthday, as she collects all things Le Creuset. I should pass this recipe on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks and sound delicious, Bonnie.. Thanks!!!

    I know that your email is sbcglobal.. Ours is frontier --but we use mac.com.. Do you pay for mac (or me.com)?? We pay about $100 a year --but we get all kinds of options with that money --just as free photo pages, etc... We love it.

    What mail program do you use? We use and love the MAIL program on our mac's.

    You probably have a google address... Have you tried it? If it works--then it must be a problem with your server...

    Sorry you are having so many problems. Let me know if I can help.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks beautiful and is making me hungery. But now to the name of this place, what's up with that? Was it a hang out for architects? Do you have any pictures of it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ummm, I loved poached eggs...I've tried one of those little microwave poachers and it's kind of okay but not like I get elsewhere.
    The recipe looks truly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. yeah... eggs look nice but I LOVE your Le Crueset pot...very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've been enjoying reading your beautiful blog. So many delicious recipes! Small world that you are from VA and now live in the midwest. My husband did the reverse. :) He's from outside Chicago. Look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, this sounds fabulous! I would love making the Loop with you and Andrew on a weekend morning! Hope you resolve your e-mail issues when you are ready to suit-up again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, Bonnie... I was just commenting on a beautiful cranberry foccacia bread... blogger bumped me out and now I can't find it!! Making me crazy! Looked delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no! I'm so sorry you've been having all of this trouble. I hope it gets sorted out soon!

    These cocottes look delicious. You did a fabulous job with them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to try this dish! looks just perfect.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you scored an A+ on your eggs cocotte--A treat for the eyes and the tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious. And how beautiful are those Le Crueset dishes??? Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-Poach-Pods-Set-Green/dp/B000P6FD3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299204882&sr=8-1

    Have you seen these egg poachers? I love them and you can hardly go wrong...I do four minutes on the timer and a slow walk to the stove to remove from heat (per my bro in law). These don't take up the room of another pot. This recipe looks so good--we love breakfast! Will have to try. Glad you got your email worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never had eggs cocotte, it looks so delightful! I just love that they are served in the cute little pot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now I know what I want for breakfast tomorrow morning! This looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am going to make this for my husband this weekend. How decadent!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.