Friday, March 4, 2011

Potatoes Dauphinois

I thought I should go ahead and post this recipe before spring officially arrives.  As you can see, it was on our table during the Christmas holidays but is quite delicious at any time of year.  It nicely dresses up a roasted loin of pork, a beef tenderloin or a leg of lamb.  It looks much more elegant and festive than my photo suggests.  You can serve it spooned straight from the baking dish or, for a more festive look, cut into rounds.   Either way, it needs to be baked the day before, refrigerated overnight and reheated just before serving--a winner in my book of company fare!

Here's the recipe for


Potato dauphinois from the Chicago Tribune and me


1 1/2 cups whipping cream (don't substitute)
1 cup milk
1 heaping tsp of fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
5 russet potatoes, peeled
1 sweet potato, peeled
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp softened butter

Preheat oven to 400.

1.  Combine the cream, milk, thyme, salt and pepper to taste in a pot large enough to hold the potatoes.
2.  Cut the potatoes into 1/8 inch slices dropping them into the liquid mixture as they are sliced.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are evenly coated and the cream mixture thickens, about ten minutes.
3.  Generously butter an 8 inch oven-proof pan and sprinkle the garlic evenly over the bottom.  Transfer the potatoes to the pan in layers, placing the sweet potatoes in the center layer for a nicer look if you wish.  Pour the cream mixture over.  Bake until the potatoes are golden brown and tender, about 30 minutes.  Cool for about an hour, cover and refrigerate overnight.
4.  When ready to serve, heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut potatoes into rounds with a 2 inch biscuit cutter.  Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet until they begin to bubble and lightly brown, about ten minutes.  Or, if you prefer, you can just reheat them in the pan and serve.

ENJOY!

39 comments:

  1. I used to do some catering with Charlie Trotter a few years ago, this looks like the Potato Pave that they made. Wonderful dish thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so delicious. I have never found a potato I didn't like:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never successfully made a gratin (not for lack of trying!) so maybe I ought to explore the world of dauphinois! This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my hubby would enjoy it, he says my au gratin leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe its because I did not use whipping cream. This will be on my agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with bellini valli...never found a potato I didn't like...UNFORTUNATELY!!! my thigs and butt like them too! I'm certain of it, they told me!
    Happy day, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a winner!!! Awesome dish.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious, and would be a great dish to serve for company since you make it ahead of time. Thanks for sharing.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they look and sound beautiful! I am amazed how you come up with a recipe each day! Always inspiring. And I love your new photo up top! Your new camera is working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like recipes that ask you to make them the day ahead! Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  10. rate this drooling/delicious. yummmmmy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel really stupid right now. I make dauphinois several times a year and never thought to cut them into attractive individual servings. This would be perfect for an Easter meal. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about this dish Bonnie - and I agree, you need whipping cream in recipes every once in a while!

    Love the new header!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks scrumptious! I'll have to try this with my family as they love potato creations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My problem would be my family, they would have a hard time letting this sit overnight.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very elegant potatoes, indeed suitable for for a festive table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the combination of sweet and regular potatoes in this recipe! I love adding a sweet potato to my oven-roasted version too.

    I'm saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How great is this!! Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I never thought of that. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore potatoes fixed any way, and these look awesome!!! I love the way you can fix it ahead, so the next day, it's almost like gourmet take-out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look amazing! I will have to try this one. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM Bonnie.... I will eat Potato ANYTHING.... ha.. That looks so good. Thanks!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my goodness, Bonnie! Those are so lovely and sounds like they would be absolutely delicious! I think they would add a very elegant side to any meat dish. I will be remembering this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You had me at POTATOES!!!!

    Yummy!!!!


    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Potato Dauphinois are my absolute favorite potato dish. Cream, rich, and delicious. They go with everything, including making a lunch of them with a simple green salad.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful. I've never used sweet potatoes in mine...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh, Foodie Friday, a sinfully delicious habit! I am glad you found it too. You might also love Tablescapes Thursday if you haven't found that yet - http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com So fun and inspiring.

    These potatoes look like pure sin. I love your presentation too, it lets you see all of the layers of goodness. You could put on weight just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a lovely potato dish. I honestly don't think that a person can have too many recipes for potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS RECIPE AND IT LOOKS WONDERFUL! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh boy, that sounds like a great dish. I wanted to thank you for your visit to my blog today and your sweet comment, too. Susna

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks delicious. I love potatoes and finding new ways to cook them is the best! Thanks for the fun comment about my daughter and Ben Franklin.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooh! This looks so delicious. You want me to help set the table? I could bring my own chair.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  31. There's something so comforting about creamy potato dishes. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a good dish to do for a big party since it can be made ahead of time. These potatoes looks awesome and I can imagine it taste good too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Y.U.M. Wonderful recipe & beautiful presentation.
    :)
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  34. Two sisters, huh? I'm certain you never had a dull moment growing up! I have to admit when she wrote that I had forgotten about the Jaws story and rolled on the floor with laughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This look delicious I love potatoes Dauphinois, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  36. All I have to know is potatoes and cream. I'm sold :-) Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a happy week. Your posts bring me joy...thank you for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These sound wonderful. A perfect make ahead dish and yet special enough for company or Sunday dinner. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.