Tuesday, March 29, 2011

*RePa Recipe: Cream of Vegetable Soup

*Refrigerator/Pantry

We love soup.  I love to make soup.  It can be such a loosely prepared bowl.  Sometimes it's outstanding.  Sometimes it's pretty good.  It's never bad since I don't have ingredients on hand that we don't like.

I found some nice broccoli in the market and steamed some to have on hand for a few days.  The first use was as a simple vegetable for dinner.  A few days later, some ended up in a omelet for lunch.  The broccoli stems were still waiting to make their debut in a soup.

I rummaged around the crisper drawers and the pantry and came up with


Cream of Vegetable Soup

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
3 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
4 to 6 broccoli stems, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 quart chicken stock
Dash (or so) of half and half

1.  Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.  Saute the onion and shallots until transparent, about five minutes.  Add the garlic and saute for one minute.
2.  Add the rest of the ingredients including the stock.  Simmer until all the vegetables are quite soft, about 30 minutes.
3.  Use an immersion blender or a food processor to puree the mixture.
4.  At this point, you may add a bit of half and half--just enough for a creamy color.  We always have half and half on hand for coffee.  If you don't, use milk.  Or, you may freeze all or part of the puree for later use.  Add the cream when you are ready to serve the soup.

ENJOY



29 comments:

  1. It must be very comfortable!!! Anyway...even the omelette one..!!Hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the RePa name! I do this all the time. It's one of the most satisying ways to cook, creating something (usually) pretty darn good from what you have. (And I love my immersion blender!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I like the "freeze the puree now and add cream when ready to eat it". I started doing this with pea soup too, works great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I missed teh most dying my holiday was making soup. That is one of my first things to get done. Love this recipe and a great way too Clean out the crisper; thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a blogger that does not have word verification!again thanks.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will hit the spot on these cool evenings.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your soup looks so good. With the drop in the temperature we've had here, it might be just the thing for supper tonight.
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. now this I would love. and that is such an easy recipe to follow. like the shot of the veggies also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a comforting dish to make with ingredients we have on hand on these "inbetween" days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you: soup is always good and sometimes it's great. I'm a soup lover as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never understood the people that go out and get specific ingredients for soup... the best soup is ALWAYS made from the leftover bin and crisper drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know I'd press the like button on this. It looks delicious and I am such a soup fan. I hope you are having a wonderful time away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah!! I'm THERE!!! We love soup and Phil eats a can of it every other night as a bedtime snack, even in the summer. I probably have more soup recipes than anything else. This hardly even needs a recipe, did you create it? I AM trying it! I am going to print it. What is nice is that we usually have these things on hand anyway, and I have been looking for recipes for my immersion blender. How was your trip????

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just lovely, A perfect weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe what a beautiful golden color it turned out from the few ingredients you had on hand. It looks lovely and yummy. Great way to clean the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that looks wonderful...I love soup! any kind is alright by me. I'm definitely going to make that.
    thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those RePa recipes! This soup looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It truly is amazing what one can come up with when they start digging. I bet it is delish!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love cream of vegetable soup -- it's a wonderful way to use up dips and dabs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this soup look comfortable and delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  21. I live too far away to ask for a bowl, so I compromise by just admiring it in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OooH! This looks good! I have a luncheon I need to prepare next week, and this might fit the bill! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonnie, I've never thought to save the broccoli stalks - genius!

    And I am a soup nut too - I can eat it all year round and usually do!

    When is our weather going to get better??!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stockpot on the stove today...and ready for some great vegetable soup...love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the RePa name! I always have chicken stock in the pantry for emergency soup. I love adding a piece of Parmesan rind when I make vegetable soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your soup sounds wonderful. Word on the street says that you've been sick. I hope your holiday was not spoiled and that you are felling better. Take care. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great way to use up extra vegetables. I always have broccoli stalks that I don't know what to do with. Even though I have a heavy heart tonight, I find joy in reading your words and seeing your soup. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your creativity with me. I hope you have a blessed end to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love to make soup, too and this sounds real good. I always save the broccoli stalks and cook them up, too. No wasting of food!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.