Saturday, April 16, 2011

Desserts

For those of you who read my post yesterday, move on.  For those of you who didn't, no backtracking!!

Here are the desserts we had with our after dinner coffee last evening.  Yes, we drink caffeine late in the day.  While I would love to give you the recipes, I promised my dear Aunt Sister (remember, I'm from the south and we all have an "Aunt Sister") that I would never divulge the secret family recipes.  Just like Colonel Sanders and the man who came up with the formula for Coca-Cola (Co-Cola back home) formula, Aunt Sister was fiercely protective of her recipes.

Enjoy with your eyes!

My dessert is made up of a genoise layered with coconut cream and homemade strawberry jam.  It is topped with an exotic "southern" fruit and I can't remember the name.  It comes from further south than I do!  That little chocolate "topper" was most difficult to get right.




The Baker has tried twisting my arm for the recipe for his serving of a dark chocolate genoise layered and topped with a mocha buttercream and a candied coffee bean on top.  I did not give in!



DISCLAIMER:  On the off chance that any one of you believed me, I don't really have an Aunt Sister and I didn't make these lovely pastries.   I do have Vanille Patisserie, 2229 N. Clybourn in Chicago.  If you're in the neighborhood and possess a degree of willpower,  stop in.

ENJOY!

20 comments:

  1. I just found a new bakery here in K-town with macarons, and French pastries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 6AM... this is wrong I tell, just wrong! And I'd believe any story you wanted to tell just to have a piece! Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and so refreshing to read someone else shops locally and help these bakeries to survive...that's why I do it and I'm sticking with that. Love the name of that Bakery; I told you that before and now I see why. Great post.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha the pastries look delicious! And I was totally willing to believe that you made them. Still am, in fact. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...here I am, up early on a Saturday ready to go to spinning and you're torturing me with photos of INCREDIBLE desserts. Sigh. So mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother was the Aunt Sister in our lives. mothers sister and my grandmother called momma Sister, so her sisters kids called her aunt sister. is that confusing or what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did read the previous post and I still so believed you. I just kept saying wow! We southern girls keep our recipes secret because we never write anything down. We just make it the way Mother did. Sorry I called your beautiful macaroons whoopie pies. Either way they are beautiful and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me going for a minute and I read your yesterday's post yesterday :-). Wherever it came from, that is a lovely pastry. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang!!! I have drool all over my computer now!!!! These look terribly delicious :) Thanks for the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I sit, reading blogs, no breakfast, and you show up with gorgeous pastries! Now I am hungry. :)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha gorgeous desserts! I need to find a bakery here...or maybe not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pastries look sinfully delicious!! I am totally drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I was going to say, those do look like amazing pastries and very professional looking! But anyhow, that bakery does sound amazing. I love local shops, I think they had the best food :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the "writer in the kitchen" can tell us anything she wants, as long as she backs it up with mouth-watering pics, we're belivers! (I grew up in Alabama and find the idea of Sister-Aunt totally credible.)
    Best!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wondered what was going on, as I remembered something so similar to these on your last post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! I was so very impressed with the presentation of your Aunt Sister's dsecret recipes! LOL! They look like they were out of this world! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure had me fooled! I am glad in a way now because I really want to stay on my diet. You are enticing us all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are gorgeous pastries, whoever made them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to invent an Aunt Sister for myself! Will she bake those for me too? I've been cooking and baking way too much lately and my waistline is showing it!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.