Saturday, April 2, 2011

Early Morning in New Bedford, Massachusetts



When we first came upon this man, I thought he was feeding the gulls.  Upon closer inspection, no food was apparent and I got the feeling they all met each morning on Buzzards Bay to discuss topics of interest before heading off to face the day.



This fishing boat was riding high in the water in anticipation of filling the hold with I know not what species of sea life.  I don't think it is a whaler.



It's my understanding that Melville was inspired to write Moby Dick while living in New Bedford.  Even though my sweet daughter-in-love had placed a copy by my bed, I was not inspired to read any further into the book than I have in the past.  It was never required reading for me but I tried a number of times.  The deeper I get into the book, the less it interests me.  I've given up!


New Bedford Whaling Museum


This is a church mentioned in Moby Dick.  I meant to take a photo from the front but forgot.


Ft. Phoenix stood guard against the enemy.



New Bedford enjoys a reputation as a "safe harbor" thanks to the Hurricane Barrier, a stone and steel barrier that extends across the mouth of New Bedford harbor to the Fairhaven side near Fort Phoenix.

It is 9,100 feet long and twenty feet above median sea level. The harbor section has huge  gates in the center that can be closed during strong tides or storms to protect the inner harbor. The western section protects the city from tidal surges in Clark's Cove.

The top of the barrier provides a walkway where residents and visitors can watch the coming and going of various boats and enjoy spectacular views.

Built in the 1960's by the Army Corps of Engineers, the Hurricane Barrier is the largest stone structure on the East Coast. 

17 comments:

  1. Very pensive looking place. Proly a great place to write :) Looks cold tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing were my blogger friends live and what it looks like around them. I never had to read Moby Dick as required reading either, but I did have to read Melville's Billy Bud...talk about hard to get into...after that there is no way I'm reading Moby Dick.

    I wonder how that hurricane barrier works too, we don't have that here in my part of Florida...we could use it!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit Mass. someday, I've only been to New York and New Jersey.

    That hurricane barrier looks puzzling, but I'm sure they know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the old weathered shingled buildings. You can google the hurricane barrier - there are gates that can be closed during hurricanes to keep New Bedford/Fairhaven a safe harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to visit through your eyes. I guess they had more snow yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you took us on a tour, I was up there some 18 years ago or more with hubby on a business trip but only saw the hotel and expressways. The traffic there I think is worse than here. I got a t-shirt that says "I survived the Boston traffic with the aid of therapy". There to many lanes merging into on downtown around the marketplace and onto the highways. I about ripped off the door handle, holding on for dear life. Hope you will show more photos if you have them.

    Hope your weekend is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried Moby Dick many, many years ago, never got past the first few chapters. interesting info on that barrrier, this is the first i have heard of it.
    the boat is a shrimp boat, I was raised in Savannah GA and the shrimp boats are big business there. or at least it looks like the ones in Savannah and their is a very slim chance i might be wrong ONCE. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've brought back such memories. In the 70's there was a group of 7 or so musicians from New Bedford called (what else!) "The Bedfords". They used to come to NS to play in the clubs and I became friends with a couple of them. Lovely group with great music and fantastic costumes (think matching, huge-bells, lots of sparkle). They were great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each picture is wonderful and tells a story! My faves are the man with the gulls, the boat, and the squid in front of the museum!!! So glad you at least did some things before you got sick!!! I never could read Moby Dick, either. Perhaps because most of the time, I feel like that whale!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit there!

    I have no desire to read Moby Dick, but the church is cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been able to get through Moby Dick either. I've tried! Love that giant squid (I guess) on the outside of the Whaling Museum! That hurricane barrier is impressive. Thank you for the tour. Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a place I'd love to visit- thanks for the tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed my tour! That is so interesting about the hurricane barrier.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you love the weathered buildings and the smell of the sea? I'm glad you got one good day on the trip. Your photos are wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful, Bonnie. Reminded me a lot of great times spent around Cape Cod. How will you ever leave?

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your post and learning about something new for me. Great line: I meant to take a photo from the front but forgot. How often this happens to me. That shot with the man and those birds is fantastic!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. Instead of working...I'd run to sit on that bench by the waterfront. I love to be in that kind of setting. A capturing book would be even better. LOL

    Today, you made me a little more aware of another section of the U.S. terrain. Thanks Bonnie...nice photos.

    Ciao,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.