Friday, April 1, 2011

How I Spent My Spring Vacation

Hello my friends.  I know you are all anxiously waiting to hear all the details of my spring vacation in New England.  Let's start here.


Yes, that is a thermometer.  It comes into use when one is ill.  I do know that it registers as high as 103.8 degrees.  That's what it showed my fever to be on Saturday afternoon. 

I arrived in Providence, feeling rather chipper, on Thursday afternoon.  Stefan and Elyssa met me and we headed to New Bedford for our much anticipated visit.  

Stefan knew exactly where to pick up scallops on Friday afternoon.  Plump beauties that had been scooped from the sea only hours earlier.  He simply dried them well, added some salt and pepper and quickly sauteed them in a bit of butter and oil.  


I will ask him for the recipe for the polenta he served them on.  It was the best I've had.


Every bite was a delicious taste from the sea.

The three of us had a short outing on Saturday morning when we traveled to Federal Hill in Providence. We were there to take in the sights and do a little shopping for dinner.

By the time we arrived home, I was overcome with chills and shaking like I've never experienced and had to crawl into bed.   My other symptoms were vague.  I finally fell asleep to awaken a few hours later with the high fever--something else I've never experienced.  In fact, I don't ever recall having a fever--ever!  And, I really think this one might have come from the fact that I was fully dressed under a sheet, down comforter, wool afghan and two pillows that I had pulled on top.  To test that theory, I uncovered, took two aspirin and waited.  Within the hour, the fever was down to a little over 100.  Then I slept.  I slept through dinner, through the night, through breakfast--seventeen hours!  When I finally dragged myself out of bed, every joint hurt.  Aaargh!  So, I did what any good guest would do in that situation.  I had a ginger ale and four saltines and went back to sleep--for another eight hours.  When I arose, the fever was entirely gone and so was all the joint pain.  I had a small amount of dinner and went back to bed for the night.  The children checked on me frequently but allowed me to slumber on.

I will conclude my health saga by saying that, slowly, other symptoms came into play--respiratory ones.  Nothing too severe.  I suspect that whatever felled me was contracted on the plane.  I think it might have been the flu.  I slept longer last night than I usually do and have really lazed around all day.

I have more photos to share but not nearly as many as I'd planned.

I plan a "do over" trip next month!

31 comments:

  1. Oh, Bonnie! What a bummer! Hate that you had that bug, but especially when you were on a trip to enjoy time with Stephan and Elyssa.

    The scallops and polenta look like a real treat! Wish your entire trip had been that good. The 'do over' will be better, I am sure!

    Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful!!!! I've always thought planes were "germ carriers" and people often ended up ill after having flown -- I think you've proved that.

    Not a fun time for sure --

    Glad you're going to have a "do over" --

    The scallops and polenta look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful!!!! I've always thought planes were "germ carriers" and people often ended up ill after having flown -- I think you've proved that.

    Not a fun time for sure --

    Glad you're going to have a "do over" --

    The scallops and polenta look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,

    It is bad enough to be sick but when you are away, it is even worse. Glad you are feeling better. The scallops look wonderful.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never flown in a plane...Glad to hear that you got over that terrible flu...

    hmm...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I love this type of food look delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you are feeling much better. My family had a bout with the flu this year, and it wasn't pretty. Those scallops sure look yummy though. I hope your next visit will be much better. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry to hear that! but the scallops look AMAZing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing the scallops I know now what we are having. I love the ones from Costco you suggested.

    OUch! what a way to spend a holiday with your children but in bed. It sounds like the tables were turned and they took good care of you. Bless your heart, You so need a re-trip that is for sure.

    Welcome back, we are glad to see you. I bet Mr.Ollie was too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. You were sick. 103 is high for a "grown up." No wonder you had aches and pains...I'm glad you are over it but keep resting so you don't have a relapse (I did).

    The scallops looked so good! And meatloaf--the Gardener loves it but especially for the sandwiches the next day. Keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was saddened that you got sick on your greatly anticipated vacation. I was happy to read that you plan to go back next month. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy it more. The scallops and polenta look divine. YUM!!!

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw shoot, that sounds terrible :( I had a very weird one like that while living in France, which I'm sure I caught in the Metro. It was like one day you felt totally fine, then BAM high fever and knocked out. I think even my eye sockets hurt with that one.

    I sure hope you do get to do a do over!!

    Take care!
    The scallops do look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, darn. That's terrible. I'm glad that you got to sleep, though --

    The scallops do look delicious, and I'm actually not a fan of them usually. Perhaps it was the polenta underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another reason I don't like to fly: too many people close together=GERMS! Glad you recovered quickly and glad that you get to take another trip! I was born in New Bedford and grew up in Mattapoisett, a neighboring town!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear you were sick, glad you're feeling better:@)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh NO!!! How horrible for you! I know you were disappointed Bonnie and I do hope you are on the mend. I am glad you had someone to take care of you though...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scallops have to be one of my favorite types of seafood because they are so fresh and dainty and versatile. Fried, baked, sauteed, broiled-I love your version. Just found your site and I am loving it! Excited to see be back to visit and get more recipe ideas! You should definitely consider doing my recipe challenge this month (or any month to be exact). It so much fun and it challenges you to make something you have never made before and always wanted to. You can see the details on my sidebar. Just click on the recipe challenge button! Oh and I am definitely following you!
    XO
    Jessica
    www.kitchenbelleicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you're going back so soon, how awful!!!! Yes, it is so easy to catch things on planes. Before you board, take some of that stuff that Oprah recommends that's supposed to boost your immune system. Boy, talk about sleeping it off!!! But if I am that sick, I prefer to sleep through it and not know. How are you now???

    ReplyDelete
  19. well since you missed most of your trip a do over is in order. when i get a temp, which is very rare, i know without taking it, my bones start to ache and do not stop until it goes away, must have been one of those exotic 24 or 48 hour things and i am sure you got it on the plane, they are hotbeds of germs

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry you weren't feeling well while on vacation Bonnie. I always find sleeping so restorative when I'm ill.

    New Bedford is an interesting town. One of my brother's lives a few towns away and when we visit him we try to go over to New Bedford. The Whaling Museum is nice and we took a park ranger tour of the Underground Railroad historical sites.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have you been over doing it lately? I could only suppose that your immune system may have been on the fritz and that's how Mr. Flu came calling upon you. What a frustrating event to have gone through. It seems that your body needed a much required rest!

    Scallops, I love thee...and maybe next time, I'll place them on a cushy bed of polenta.

    Bonnie, I really hope you're now in much better form...keep yourself well ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Crapo! That's the worst ever! I'm so sorry you were sick. You absolutely need a holiday do-over. Next time, give yourself a vitamin boost before you go on another disgusting airplane. I always end up sitting next to someone who seems to be at deaths door...

    At least the scallops and polenta were tasty :/

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a darned shame, Bonnie! I've also gotten ill within a day or two after being on a plane but not as bad as you.

    It's funny, but we just had some of the best polenta I've ever had made by my son-in-law last Tuesday night! Can't wait to see how your recipe compares.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You poor thing. I'm so glad you have a do-over to look forward to. Rest as needed. Take care. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks a lot for visiting my space n your wonderful comments !these scallops look really very delicious...too tempting to resist !

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well DANG! You definitely need a do-over visit, but I am glad you were with family. The scallops look sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that stinks! I hope you feel better really soon. If you don't, you better get to the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gosh Bonnie. How awful for you, especially when you're on vacation. I hope you continue to feel better. When I'm sick, I want to be at home in my own bed and no where else.

    Scallops from up north are the best. Many years ago we were lucky enough to eat them right after they were brought on shore on Shelter Island, NY. Love the idea of the polenta with them.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope you're on your way to feeling better! Those scallops and polenta sure do looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  30. O my goodness those scallops look amazing and that polenta....delicious I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awwww...so sorry you were sick for your visit. :( But I'm glad you're on the road to recovery and that you've planned another visit. Those scallops are lovely! Gotta love those boys that cook. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.