Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lamb Chops for the Cleaning Crew

We love lamb on the table!  Sometimes it is a section of ribs but most often, we just enjoy the chops.  It is usually on our table when we dine alone.  I've found there are some who do not care for the taste of lamb.  I sometimes wonder if, perchance, they only know older lamb or mutton which does have a rather off-putting taste.  I once served lamb to my meat-eating father.  He pushed it aside for the sides and would not even give it a taste test.  My mother was a bit more adventuresome and said she liked her chop.  She never asked for the recipe.

Andrew had a busy day today.  He did some outside spring cleaning by washing down the house and the garage.  He also mowed even though it wasn't really necessary.  I think it just helped him bring spring a little closer.  I decided he deserved lamb chops for dinner.

Here's my very simple and very tasty way of preparing the chops.




Lamb Chops with an Italian Garlic Crust

7 lamb chops, about 1 1/4 inches thick (serves two plus one grateful dalmatian!* see below)
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic put through a garlic press
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each:  dried oregano, dried rosemary, dried thyme

1.  Heat the oven to 450 degrees.  Heat a well-seasoned cast iron skillet over high heat.
2.  Season the chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
3.  Mix together the garlic, olive oil, oregano, rosemary and thyme and rub onto both sides of the chops.
4.  Saute over high heat for two minutes per side.
5.  Place the pan into the oven for ten minutes for medium rare.
6.  Loosely cover and allow to sit for ten minutes before serving.

ENJOY!


One patiently waiting dalmatian watching the oven.

21 comments:

  1. My father is one of those people who claims to hate the taste of lamb...but I think he's a crazy person. Those lamb chops look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I LOVE the photo of Oliver patiently waiting for the chops to finish. Bonnie, I have enjoyed lamb while dining out; but everytime (three times) I have tried to prepare it at home, I just could not make myself want to eat it after smelling it while it cooked. What am I doing wrong???? Maybe, I am destined to be like you Dad. The chops look delicious and I would so love to enjoy them!! I'm sure if I went to your house I would be licking MY chops with Oliver! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good chop, the meatier the better. There are many people who do not love lamb as we do. They don't know what they are missing:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. my eyes skipped the lamb chop and went right to the lamb chop watcher. love that photo lots and lots. i have never eaten lamb except in an Gyro that we get at our local Greek Cafe. i love the lamb in the Gyro, but have not tried lamb.I rarely eat meat of any kind, and am getting worse as i grow older. deer meat i see bambi, lamb i see sweet faces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love lamb chops. I grew up eating and enjoying lamb. Had to convince the husband to try and now we do love to eat lamb often. It is not something to serve to company unless you know them well. Oliver, our Kippy was always willing to finish off the lamb bones. I miss that now that she is gone. Patience, Oliver!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of Oliver is awesome! I've been hankering for lamb chops lately--must be Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh we love lamb here also. I think we will be having it for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pic of Oliver!! Your lamb chops look delicioius.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not fond of Lamb, Maybe it had not been prepared correctly?

    I am fond of the Lamb watcher, I gather you heard slurping on occasion before it was all said and done. I know your hubby had to be drooling too. I hope Ollie enjoyed his treat not to mention your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love lamb. But I cannot tolerate the smell of it cooking. So I only cook it on the grill outdoors. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We adore lamb at our home, I'm glad I started serving it to my children when they were little. It's now a highly requested meal. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful!! I bought lamb many years ago and made Irish stew, but have never eaten it any other way! I would love to try chops. But they don't sell lamb anywhere around here that I've seen. Your dad didn't know what he was missing. I know yours would be out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the picture of your dog watching the oven. The crust sounds fantastic on these lamb chops.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I too have to say your dog is absolutely adorable in this picture! Mine do the exact same thing :)

    We're big fans of lamb chops in our house so we'll definitely be taking advantage of this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing!

    By the way, thanks for pointing out my totally forgetful description of salt beef. I'd never eaten it before I came to Cayman so I didn't realize it was called something different in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Going to have lamb for Easter - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look yummy! I like lamb. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lamb chops but never make them for us! This recipe sounds great and full of all of the spices and flavors we love! I'll have to give it a try. Your dog is adorable. I'm sure he enjoyed his chop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm one of those people that is not a fan of lamb. It may be that I never ate it growing up. We had cows, pigs and chickens, but no sheep! Hubby loves lamb though so one day I might surprise him with some chops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chops or a rack for me too! I love them seasoned just that same way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Next Sunday, lamb will be at my MIL's table for sure. Although it's not prepared quite the way you have, it's a meal the family looks forward to at Easter.
    I book marked your Italian style version for another time at my place ;o) I like the ingredients.

    Btw...Is Oliver as serene as he always seems to be...even if his back is turned to us? He's got a gorgeous coat ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.