Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Oven Roasted Potatoes

Rain!  Gray skies!  On a positive note, there is a lot of green in the landscape.  The tulips and daffodils are giving the city a lot of color.  Our service berry trees are almost in full bloom--another few days.  The japonica is putting on a beautiful display in our side yard.  Other plants are putting up green tendrils.  A little sunshine would go a long way toward fulfilling our flora expectations.  It could be worse.  I feel sorry for those who are being flooded in the lower midwest.  The wild fires in Texas could certainly benefit from some of our rain.

Some of you have asked for my roasted potato recipe.  It is so simple.  I had not thought to post it but here it is:


Oven Roasted Potatoes

1. Fingerling or small potatoes.  Depending on the size, I do about five per person.  I like to use a mix of purple, pink variegated (yes, they exist), yellow and white potatoes.  Sometimes I find a bag that already contains the mix.
2.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  I find that the higher temperature gives crisper potatoes but I watch them closely after the first 20 minutes or so.
3.  Cut the potatoes in half (or fourths depending on the size as I try to keep them pretty much the same size) and place in a bowl.
4.  Give the potatoes a light coating of olive oil.  Then, sprinkle with salt and pepper or Italian seasoning or Greek seasoning.  Fresh rosemary, chopped, is delicious with just the oil, salt and pepper.
5.  Mix to coat well and spread onto a baking pan.  Try not to crowd them.
6.  Roast for 35 to 45 minutes until well browned.  Watch closely after the first 20 minutes.
7.  Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. Healthy and delicious potatoes..love this in any form..nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted postatoes and do them often. They're our french fries substitute around here. I've also found Creole seasoning is nice, but will certainily give the Greek and Italian seasonings a try!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the same as my roasted veg recipe. I also have a roasted red potato salad that I love to make in the summer. Hmmm. Sorry about all your rain--I hear you are to have a week's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, oven roasted potatoes are the best. I like mine crispy and a bit crunchy. They are a great substitute for french fries, which we don't have very often anymore. Sigh.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look yummy and something I will try soon with baked fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those looks amazing. As if they were fried not in the oven. I love eating my potatoes this way and it was the only way I would eat them as a little girl- except fried from MCD's of course! Yours look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. I roast potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary all the time. But I generally use russets and cut them up into quarters. Your assortment of smaller, different colored potatoes sounds much more beautiful. I will have to see if my grocery store carries such an assortment.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks good to look at and to eat. have you tried the recipe below for puff pastry and asparagus? that looks good to

    ReplyDelete
  9. No better way to make up for cruddy weather than some super tasty roasted potatoes. Om nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy to hear that Spring has arrived!It is a given that I would love these roated potatoes. Two scoops please:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Admired your roasted potatoes on your last post. happy you gave us the recipes; one of my favourite things; thnks.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum I love roasted potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Bonnie, thanks for the potato recipe!! This is the easiest one I've seen yet, and I just got a batch of new red potatoes. Granted thay are not fingerling, but I will cut them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man I love potatoes. Especially roasted like this! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your entire feast below sounded wonderful, but I'm so glad you decided to share your potato recipe with us. They sound delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie,
    Those look delicious!!! I have a weakness for potatoes...and those look devine!
    Hey, did you read in the paper that the world is eating fewer fries and the fast food world is taking notice...perhaps if they put rasted potatoes on the menu?
    Yum!
    thanks for always checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love potatoes! Fingerling oven roasted are so delicious.

    Thanks for entering my Bertolli give away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is rainy here too today! Those potatoes look absolutely mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am popping in again to answer the questions you asked. I bet you already have my cookie recipe, because I got it from Pam. :)

    Being in the city has made grocery shopping more difficult. There is nothing really close. We shop at Aldi and Trader Joe's in Bucktown. (I go to Aldi first, and then head up the stairs to tj's for anything left on my list.) We have gone to Jewel as well. All the grocery stores in my neighborhood are latino and I love going to them, but they rarely have everything on my list. I love whole foods, but it is too expensive.

    Where do grocery shop?

    Thanks for your prayers for my dad. We are getting a report every hour and things are going well . . . almost 3 hours in.

    fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.