Monday, April 4, 2011

Puffed German Pancake with Blueberry and Banana Sauce

We have cookbooks. Hundreds of cookbooks. Shelves laden with cookbooks. Despite those tempting tomes, my husband mostly prefers to try recipes that he's clipped from the Chicago Tribune. As long as he's willing to spend time in the kitchen, those lovely cookbooks can sit on the shelf.

These German pancakes caught his eye recently. He's now made them twice and they are delicious. The sauce elevates these puffy delights to the realm of sublimity!!

How nice to sip coffee and read the Sunday papers while awaiting this deliciousness! 






Baked German Pancake
w/Blueberry-Banana Topping
From the Chicago Tribune

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Blueberry-Banana Topping

1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large banana, diced

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Brush about 1 tablespoon of the oil over bottom and up sides of two 10 inch cast iron skillets. Break eggs into blender (he uses a whisk since we don't own a blender). Add milk and salt; mix until blended but not frothy. Add the flour; blend briefly to moisten the flour. Do not over mix. Add butter. Blend briefly.

Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until puffed, 10-12 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350; bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile, for topping, mix blueberries, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Mash briefly. Let stand two minutes before stirring in banana. Cut pancakes into large wedges; place on heated plates. Pass the blueberry-banana topping.

Serves 4. You can cut the recipe in half for 2.

30 comments:

  1. Breakfast looks outstanding. I mentioned in myh last blog that my grandmother and her sister always read the Chicago Tribune..back in the 40's and 50's, because they always found the best recipes. Will have to check the Trib out on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the word divine popped into my head. i was thinking yeast to make them puff, could not believe how they puff with just the ingredients listed. yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful plate. These are a favorite at Linderhof and you reminded me that I haven't had them for a while. I like to bake mine in small cast iron skillets so each can have an individual. Actually, DH can eat one from a regular cast iron skillet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...the pancakes look ace! And the bacon lover in me must point out how scrumptious that looks too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of baking pancakes, this interest me. I gather its the eggs that make it fluffy.

    Tell your hubby, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That breakfast makes waking up worth the effort!! I wouldn't care that the recipe books sat on the shelves either! The blueberry and banana sauce has to be incredible. Blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE Dutch Babies! Make mine with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What time is breakfast tomorrow? I'm coming over!! Be sure and get up extra early, as I would like two plates, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so lucky your husband enjoys cooking! My husband will make me scrambled eggs and even peel and cut up a grapefruit or orange but that's about it.

    These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great, do you think I could sub a different fruit for the banana?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful pancakes and you are so lucky your husband makes these beautiful treats for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks similar to what I call a Dutch Baby, they're very good-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie, I'm catching up with your blog. Sorry you got sick on your vacation. That's a bummer!!!! Looks like a wonderful place though.

    The German Pancakes look awesome... YUM!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never made German pancakes but I've always wanted to! Isn't it funny how newspaper recipes turn out well all the time? Love it! The Trib always has such great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've been wanting to make german pancakes for a while now.
    yours are beautiful!! i'll have to make these asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want a husband how cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that looks delicious. I could totally go for a plate full right now! You gotta love a man that cooks, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish you could see me right now because I am jumping up and down in excitment. I have been wanting to do a puffed german pancake FOREVER since my son loves pancakes and I would rather bake then use the skillet! Awesome- thank you so much!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh your hubby is a good man! I really enjoy puffed pancake. I had a friend whose Mom made them. That topping looks like it goes so good with these!!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a husband who loves to cook as well. Aren't we the lucky ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these... they always seem so fancy and are so nice and tender!

    ReplyDelete
  23. breakfast looks outstanding !sounds very delicious !


    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks absolutely wonderful! I love the texture of German Pancakes. The fruit topping sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love this kind of late breakfast on the weekend. Always wanted to make this kind of pancake; thank you for sharing.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love these puffed pancakes. They are adaptable to any seasonal fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Baked pancakes sound amazing!

    I agree, I have shelved full of cookbooks too, I tried to take them all to uni and that didn't really work as it took up more space than more textbooks...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Puffed pancakes are a creation that have not graced our morning table yet. That's to your Hubby and the Chicago Tribune ;o) I shall try these out.

    My cookbooks mostly serve me as inspiration to get me going in my own direction. Yes, my shelf collection is quite vast...and I admit to being in love with gazing at them ;o) Something wrong with that? LOL

    Have a great day Bonnie.
    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.