Monday, April 25, 2011

A Retro Luncheon

I've shared with you that my two dearest friends and I meet at least once a month to share a meal and enjoy the day together.  We can expound on any subject.  The ones we have some knowledge of can be most interesting.  Of course we have an opinion on many things!  I think we most enjoy sharing news of our widely scattered children who grew up together.  Happily, we have an upcoming wedding for one of them!


  
We each have this bright little Kokeshi doll.  She sits in our kitchen windows and on our desks to remind  us that we are not ever far from each other.

Someone said that Friday was a gray, chilly and rainy day.  I didn't notice so much as I drove to Jane's house. I certainly didn't notice the outside weather as I was greeted just inside the door by a happy little tail-wagging dog.   The roaring fire on the hearth lent a comforting glow as well as some heat as we gathered around it while our retro entree teased us with delicious aromas while it baked.



Seafood Bake  is a recipe from Jane's mother.  It reminded me of a dish that my mother served to her Mah Jongg ladies when she was the hostess.  My sisters and I always had a small dish if there were leftovers.  I'm going to file it with my recipes for Chicken a la King and Chicken Divan which are in my "retro" file.  It was delicious!  When you are in the mood for a nostalgic dish, click on the recipe to enlarge.


As you can see, it is an elegant looking dish.


 I asked for an extra helping so that it would photograph better = ) !!  The muffin was filled with plump blueberries--just right!

Our dessert was carrot cupcakes.  I was so anxious to enjoy mine that I forgot to take a photograph!!  They were excellent.


This is my dear "Old Same"*,  confidant, traveling companion, hostess, shopping enabler, etc., etc., etc.!  This is Jane!!  I've used her photo with her permission.  She's frequently in the newspaper so why not the blogging world!

*If you've read the wonderful Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, you'll recognized the "Old Same" reference.  If you haven't, I highly recommend that you do.

24 comments:

  1. How fun! Nothing better than the time well spent to be with friends who know you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks easy and delicious to me. my mother loved all thing crab meat, so she would have loved to bake this. i am more interested in your story of friends and the dolls. what a wonderful friendship you have and i like that Jane photo.
    my husband was rolling on the floor laughing at your answer to my what is it. i read him the comments as we ate breakfast and we had a good laugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy and perfect for lunch or dinner! I love fresh crab meat and that book looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those old recipes! You painted a beautiful word picture of the time with your friends. I feel like i was there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those old recipes are pure gold, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had such fun!!! Lisa See, that name is familiar, I'm thinking one of her books was on Oprah's book club? Uh-oh, I'm just seeing Sandra's comment, now I have to go back to her blog and see what you guessed that thingy was, you will probably give me a huge laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You cracked me UP on Sandra's blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can tell what a special friend she is; your words painted a great life you girls share.
    Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good company makes a meal even better. Everything looks so carefully prepared and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it awesome to have such a very very special friend, Bonnie? I'm so glad that you all get together fairly often... You obviously have alot in common.

    Lunch sounded wonderful... Thanks for the recipe... Yum...

    Thanks for sharing Jane with us.. She needs to BLOG.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish I had friends closer! Always a hall to get together. Lovely dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love casseroles like that -- and my daughter Sophie has a little collection of those wooden dolls -- I love looking at them, all lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to try the casserole and the book. You have excellent taste in old recipes :-) I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, Bonnie, to have longtime friends that live close enough for you to get together with them regularly is awesome!!! I don't have that in my life, as all my long friendships are afar.

    I enjoyed hearing about your "retro lunch." Sounds like a fabulous time...good food and great friends...what could be better.

    Have a great day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like so much fun :) All of my best mates are scattered around the world so we can't do a fun monthly lunch. You're so lucky your bestest buds are close enough to enjoy a 'retro lunch' together :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so fun!!
    everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun with your friends and the doll is a great reminder for you all! Too cool! And the casserole sounds really delicious! I love, love Lisa See's books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Getting together with the girls is a great way to spend and afternoon I must say..and if there is food involved all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful traditions and wonderful friendship. There couldn't be anything better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun. A Retro Lunch.
    Sounds like you gals had a
    great time!
    Looks like your Easter was nice too even with the gloomy weather.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  21. So I did actually make a variation of this tonight--sans breadcrumbs as I was trying to make it low carb. I used parboiled chopped eggplant instead and some cottage cheese, red pepper, onion in garlic and olive oil. I didn't have time for the eggs but that would have been just more protein! It was great. I will make it again. A good use of eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, dear Old Same, for the sweet remembrance of a dreary drizzly afternoon made cozy with the warmth of shared friendship, fond memories, and laughter. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just have to say, that Kokeshi doll is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never thought of making a seafood bake...it's high time I try one so that I can also enjoy that same aroma wafting in your friends home.
    What I enjoyed most from the enlargement of the hand written recipe...were the charming check marks...my 'Nonna' used to do that too...memories ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.