Friday, April 8, 2011

Shrimp in Chardonnay-Dijon Sauce

Consider the versatile shrimp.  They are quick to fix and most folks find them an agreeable dish in most forms.  When we lived in Charleston, I frequently met the shrimp boats and purchased some of their haul right at the pier, heads and all.  The heads went into the stockpot for seafood stock and the bodies were enjoyed in salads, as Coquille St. Jacques, scampi (my mother's favorite)--so many ways.  Today I'm sharing a new recipe that we're enjoying.  It is a company-worthy dish.  The first time I prepared it, I served it over black rice which made an elegant presentation.  This time, the shrimp is served over couscous that I prepared using chicken stock instead of water.  


Shrimp in Chardonnay-Dijon Sauce based on a recipe from the Chicago Tribune

Four servings 

1 cup couscous
1 1/4 cup water or chicken stock
Splash of olive oil

1.  Bring the water or stock to a boil.
2.  Add a splash of olive oil, stir in the couscous.  Cover and turn heat off.  Let stand for 15 minutes.  Fluff with a fork before serving.

For the shrimp sauce:

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chardonnay of other dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream (don't substitute--it's only 1/8 cup per person!)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley

1.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil.  Heat for 30 seconds and add the shrimp in one layer.  Saute until pink, about two minutes per side.  Remove to a heated bowl and cover with foil.  Keep warm.
2.  Heat the same skillet to high and pour in the wine.  Stir to deglaze the pan and cook until the wine is reduced by about half-- 4 to 5 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream.  Cook for 1 minute and stir in the mustard.  Cook, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens slightly.  This will take about 3 minutes.  Add the shrimp back to the pan and heat through.
3.  Serve shrimp and sauce over the couscous.  Sprinkle with the parsley.

ENJOY!



32 comments:

  1. If I had to pick a favorite food, it would probably be shrimp. I say probably because some shrimp today aren't as good as they used to be. Buy fresh at the boat with their heads on is definitely the way to go when they're available.

    I'm bookmarking your recipe and will definitely give it a try. I like the idea of the couscous in place of rice. Great idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good and looks pretty! Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a shrimp lover, too, from way back. And I'm adding this to my collection. Tonight, though, I'mtrying roasted shrimp, something I've never tried before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee it looks so good. BTW we will be in your old city next week for a quick visit! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, this recipe sounds absolutely divine. I love couscous and shrimp... and cream! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must be so much fun meeting the shrimp boats; lucky you! We love shrimps and very happy to try a new way of preparing them; looks real good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good and I'll have to try it the next time I get shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be wonderful served over pasta too:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drooling all over my screen right now! Chardonnay sauce? WOW- I am in love with this recipe. I can't wait to try it out on the hubs. we love our seafood and pasta combos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie, That Shrimp recipe sounds wonderful... Yum... Think we'll try that one. Thanks!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my! This sounds like a wonderful dish. I can easily see how it's company-worthy.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to try this when our 'shrimp' vendor from Galveston comes back to town - which should be soon. I find some of the best recipes out of newspapers and this one sounds wonderful, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, I love shrimp...and have loved it since I was a little girl! This is definitely going to be printed out and tried !
    Did you try the scallops on Tammy's Simple Southern Happiness? It was scrumptios!
    I rec'd trying it...it was someting we have every week now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum! I can be there shortly if you set another place at the table please!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is one that will sure to be printed out for my collection. Okay, heavy cream it is.

    Thank you and my hubby is glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow...shrimp looks just so perfect and delicious...I just loved all the flavors going in !


    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love shrimp! This recipe is a keeper. Have a great weekend. Thanks! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Personally, I'm not really a shellfish kinda girl but I can recognize a tasty recipe when I see one. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds really good. I love shrimp served any way, but I have never served them over couscous. I'll have to try it! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gulf shrimp is my favorite, and before the spill I loved loved loved cooking shrimp because of the versatility as you mentioned, and the speed of preparation. This looks like a wonderful elegant dish, and I can imagine a dramatic presentation with black rice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to go make this right now, but I can't be eating this late. THANK YOU for sharing the recipe. Most everyone I know loves shrimp. I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great, Bonnie. Shrimp really is one of those "ol' reliable" ingredients. I try to keep it around even if it's not on our menu for that week, just because!

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds heavenly, Bonnie! I'm bookmarking this recipe to make very soon! The Chardonnay-Dijon sauce sounds like it would be delicious with shrimp! Yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. So simple but looks so awesome and SO impressive!! You're right- totally company-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now this looks really good! Since it is Lent, I will have to try this next Friday for dinner! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum.....I will try this for one of my Tuesday evening dinners with my pals! Joann

    ReplyDelete
  28. The shrimp looks so good covered with that awesome sauce...delish:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is my second comment on this recipe. I am dying to make this dish. On a very serious diet and just lost 20 pounds. I WILL be making this in the future. I know it will be great. I keep looking at the picture. I think a definite keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hubby and I are real seafood lovers and Shrimp has front seat next to lobster. I've made many recipes which I have yet to post (coming soon I hope) and now, I have one more to try. It surely will be a hit. Thanks for sharing such a delicacy Bonnie ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.