Monday, April 18, 2011

A Simple and Delicious Roasted Chicken



There are some great recipes out there for roasted chicken.  We've enjoyed many of them.  When I am in a hurry to get a simple dinner on the table, this is the recipe I most often turn to.  I first had this served to me by the wife of one of the most respected chefs in Charleston, S.C..  Robert, larger than life with snow white hair and beard, was the chef-owner of Robert's of Charleston (opened in 1976, the restaurant closed in 2010).  He was also an accomplished baritone singer.  He would bring out each course, show it to the diners and, as they were served by waiters, he would stroll through the dining room singing.  His restaurant was so popular that one paid when they made their non-refundable reservations.  Having very young children made us baby-sitter dependent.  Too often, we were cancelled out at the last minute for a better gig (date?).  We never had the courage to make those expensive reservations.  

Fortunately, our younger son took Suzuki piano at the College of Charleston with Robert's daughter.  I think little Polly had a crush on Stefan.  She asked him over frequently for a swim and lunch.  Since they were only five, I felt obligated to go along.  On a number of occasions, we had restaurant leftovers for lunch.  One visit, there was asparagus soup warming on the stove.   As he left for the restaurant, Robert put a chicken into the oven with instructions on when to take it out.  I was surprised when he said 45 minutes should do.  It was delicious!  Perfect!  The asparagus soup was like velvet.  He didn't offer me the recipe.  I did the chicken a number of times and then forgot about it until I saw a similar recipe in one of Sara Moulton's cookbooks.  

Here, revived is that deliciously easy roasted chicken.


A Simple Roasted Chicken inspired by Sara Moulton and Robert (of Charleston)

One 3 1/2 pound chicken (if using a larger chicken, the roasting time will need to be adjusted)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp of Italian or Greek seasoning (or neither!!)
Olive oil for brushing over the chicken

1.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Place rack in the middle.
2.  Wash and dry the chicken and leave at room temperature 15 minutes.
3.  Salt and pepper the chicken inside and out.  Sprinkle inside and out with the seasoning if using.
4.  Brush with olive oil and place in a heavy roasting pan, breast side up.
5.  Roast for 45 minutes until an internal temperature of 165 to 170 degrees.
6.  Transfer to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and allow to stand for 15 minutes before carving.

ENJOY!

43 comments:

  1. What could be better than a simple roast chicken?!? Looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...there is nothing like a good roasted chicken for a comforting meal. This would be the first thing I would like to eat if I was on Survivor and was craving some good food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the low and slow 5 hour sticky chicken method, but not the high heat method-yet. Think I'll pick up a little chicken:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, this just makes me drool! I LOVE roasted chicken. It is on Amanda and I's most favorite foods list. Unfortunately for me, Evan does not like roasted chicken. I cannot imagine how a person could not enjoy a succulent, tasty comfort-food treat like this beauty!! Occasionally, I make him suffer through it! Now with this new version, he may have to again soon! LOL! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright...I've just added a three and half pound whole roasting chicken to my grocery list. I see one for dinner this week. Sounds perfectly simple and good. I also really enjoyed your post about it.
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roasted chicken is my nemesis! This looks so tasty with the Greek seasoning! Bye, bye boring breasts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No question, Bonnie, roast chicken is a staple in most kitchens. Simple is ALWAYS the best way!
    Loved your Robert story....and your chicken looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving your new header photo - - - so fun and springy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow- it looks like something you would see in a magazine. So beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It can't be this easy. No way. Something that looks that awesome HAS to come with toil and cursing and all manner of pain.

    ...i'm so buying a chicken today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Confession: I've never roasted a whole chicken. That's weird, right? For some reason, it seems daunting to me. Yours is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a great story about the chef, the chicken looks delish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ummm, since I only eat chicken this is a fine recipe to try...We often go to the grocers and pick up a roasted chicken but have never attempted to make one on my own...
    I'm glad I could bring back memories of Ocracoke for you...such a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, I am DROOLING!!!! And I enjoyed your story for this one, too. Being friends with a chef is one of life's greatest pleasures. My son and dughter-in-law are good friends with a chef, he used to live in Hollywood in Aaron Spelling's house, and was his personal chef. But he came back here to marry his childhood sweetheart and they live here now. Unfortunatly, I myself have never reaped their friendship benefits yet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh YUM!!!! And you know, finding a whole chicken in the grocery is not always an easy thing to do. I remember when that was the ONLY way you would find a chicken in the meat department! ;-) Dang old age giving me away again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. With chicken, simple is always more appealing! I love to squeeze some lemon juice in and over my roast chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUM---sounds wonderful, Bonnie. The word SIMPLE always catches my attention.

    Cute story about your son and Robert's daughter. Sorry to hear the restaurant closed... I would have loved to have gone there at least ONCE.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. its the simpliest preparation of chicken that often turns out the best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have yet to roast a chicken, maybe this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the browning on the skin, thighs are the best part if you ask me. Looks wonderful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bonnie...I adore roasted chicken I am only sorry that in 2009 I went to Charleston and I didn't know Robert's restaurant..and now it's closed!! :(

    Thanks for visit....I'm probably going to put sweet bunnies on Easter cake... hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum yum! I just had grilled chicken yesterday. In fact, I love chicken just about any way you cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I noticed lately recipes with similar roasteing intructions and I wondered. Happy you gave us your review on this; will surely keep this recipe; thank ou.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie,

    I love a roasted chicken. It is probably one of my favorites. I shall have to try it this way. Mine is similar but my oven temp is lower.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite meal is Roasted Chicken. I love everything about this meal. Yours looks simply beautiful. I wish that were my dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks so delicious and simple, what a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for visiting my blog and making a verbal contribution toward my goat. I appreciate it a LOT! Come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sitting here with my stomach growling! Great recipe, thanks for sharing. My daughter cooks her meats fast and hot in many situations. Each time it is the best I have ever eaten. Do you do this with beef too? Thank you so much for sharing, and making me want to run to store for a chicken!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This chicken is comfort food at its best. Too bad Roberts restaurant is now closed. It sounds like a Charleston treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love roast chicken and love that this is so easy and fast! This is perfect for my husband and me. I have yet to come across a recipe that I just love but I think this may well be it! Great recipe and story!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I absolutely love roast chicken. This looks simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so simple I wonder why I never roast a whole chicken. It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the crunchiness in the skin of roasted chicken! I can eat the skin of the entire chicken all by myself! This one looks like the perfect candidate!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love to roast whole chickens, most of all because of all the yummy leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Robert's restaurant sounds like fun. A singing chef - wow. I love your (his) roasted chicken with the Greek spices. Great idea.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh...how I love a good roasted chicken...in fact THAT is what we are having for dinner tonight.

    xo

    Jo

    p.s. thanks for stopping by to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love, love, love roasted chicken.
    Looks so good!

    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love roasted chicken, and I loved the story that went along with this post. Thank you for sharing your simple yet delicious bird recipe tonight. I hope that the end of your week is full of peace and joy. Your words make me smile, week after week!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just made roasted chicken 2 days ago and now, you're making me crave it again. I do like the simplicity of it. It's one notch above my 'Simple Stupid' method of only salt. ;o)

    Buon appetito and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my! Look at that chicken! and those potatoes! Can I come to your place for a roast???

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.