Wednesday, May 25, 2011

TURNIPS--Please Read On

There are very few foods that I don't like and almost none that I won't try.  Short of an errant egg shell in a dish, no food elicits a "yuck" from me.  In fact, "yuck" was never allowed at our table to describe food.
Growing up, potatoes were our staple starch.  Mother prepared them in a number of ways including boiling them in salted water and adding butter before serving.  That was fine with us.  Sometimes, however, she would mix them with turnips.  That did not sit well with us sisters.  We became adept at picking out the turnips and discarding them to the side of our plates.  I've never put turnips on my menu.

A few weeks ago, Andrew said he's take care of dinner.  I usually don't ask what he's planned since I'm just grateful he's in the kitchen.  I saw chicken sausage defrosting in the refrigerator and thought that a good choice.  When he arrived home from the grocery store, I was a little dismayed to see a bunch of turnips on the kitchen counter.  As a still life, their pinkish-ivory color went nicely with the kitchen decor but...on the table??  

For those of you who didn't stop reading at the word "turnips", let me assure you that this was one of the best side dishes that I've had in a long time (and I've had some good ones).  Had I not seen those raw turnips beforehand, I don't think I could have been convinced they were what I was eating.  This dish deserves to be served to dinner guests and it will be.  


Turnips with Black Mission Figs and Citrus inspired by Green Zebra Restaurant in Chicago

3 tbsp butter
2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
3 oranges, zested and juiced (1 cup juice)
1 cup dried black mission figs, quartered
2 tbsp light brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley

1.  Heat oven to 375.  Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a shallow ovenproof saucepan.  Add the turnips and slowly allow the butter to brown around them, stirring often.  Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the remaining butter, orange juice, zest, figs and brown sugar.  Mix well and bring to a simmer.  Place in the oven and roast until the turnips are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
2.  Remove the turnips to a heated dish and pour any remaining liquid over the turnips, season with the salt and pepper.  Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley.

ENJOY!

31 comments:

  1. I love turnips, well, usually eat rutabaga but close enough! I just steam it then add butter S&P. I should try roasting them, sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun when someone else takes over the kitchen . . . and I have always loved turnips.(especially roasted with other root vegetables.)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turnips, not a good thing here...Being from the south we are suppose to like them as with other southern dishes... ... Eventhough I kept reading I found my stomach did not do a back flip. Quite a yummy looking dish. You are blessed to have someone that knows his way around the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dish looks lovely. I may have to suggest it to my hubby so he can make it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, first i must say YUCK to figs. I love taters and turnips but not together, and if you served me this and did not tell me figs were used, i am sure i would love it. I love turnips, daddy grew turnips and i love them best with the greens cooked with the root cut up in it. that is the only way I have ever eaten them, except i do like the root raw. this dish looks good to me and I LOVE THE HEADER. how did you get a bird in that vase? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure??? Could turnips ever taste good?? I have memories of dishing out yummy potatoes onto my plate as a child only to find out that they were turnips. Yuck. I guess I'll take your word on this one. carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness! This sounds delicious and well worth the time it takes to make. I love unusual combinations that actually work and it sounds like you have found a keeper in this recipe. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your title is funny, and certainly draws us in! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually adore turnips..but even if I didn't, the figs would be enough to sell this dish to me! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an original way of serving turnips. You're living with a cordon bleu chef. Congratulations. We want more of his dishes.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I just might like these turnips. Sounds very different. Otherwise, I'm like you. Never have been a fan of them. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We would eat turnips raw out of the garden. My dad and his oldest brother loved them. I think anything, maybe even lima beans would taste good mixed up in all these goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you have full page, on settings/comments/settings there is a pick list to choose, pop up, full page or embedded for people to leave comments, you have full page like i do. the ones that have embedded, which means it is just below and you type without opening anything, the past few days we can not comment, quite a few today i could not comment on. and all wordpress is giving me a fit today to so i think it is google causing the problems

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to be back and see you again!!! I think your Jamestown pictures are my favorites among the posts I missed, I love them. At least more than turnips, he he!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious! My mother always made turnip, and mashed it, I loved it. She used the BIG ones though... I've heard them called rutabagas or something. Either way, I like them! Thanks for sharing the recipe and good for your husband for making it!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother loved all the root vegetables and cooked turnips and parsnips often. I never did develop a taste for turnips but this recipe is so tempting that I am thinking of giving them another try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never cooked a turnip, or eaten one. Maybe, because my mother never did. However, the picture on your post is SO appealing, I may have to give it a try. However I've never heard of black misson figs--wonder if I can find them here in East Tennessee??? Hmmm...
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm one of those weird ones who LOVES turnips. I grew up with them.. Mom fixed them several different ways. Your recipe sounds yummy... Thanks, Bonnie.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to trust you. I normally don't like turnips, but this looks very good! Thank you for sharing with me tonight. You injected my day with creativity and beauty. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow, my dear friend! Hugs and love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right, I almost stopped reading when I read turnips. Ditto parsnips. But I finished reading. I'm just not sure I can ever forgive turnips for being on my plate in such disgusting guises during my youth.
    Once, I roasted them along with some other root vegetables and ended up picking them out. I'm afraid it's too late for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Turnips are okay....these turnips however look downright fabulous. Love the figs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonnie dear, thanks for stopping by. I know what you mean...there aren't enough hours in the day to visit everyone and do everything.

    I loved finding this newest recipe because our Mission and Brown Turkey figs are plumping up right now. I adore them and think that those along with the orange juice would do a number on the turnips. And for YOU to say they were a great side dish, well, that's enough for me.

    Love,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  23. I knew there had to be a way I could enjoy turnips!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love figs so would be willing to give turnips a try in this dish. I hope Andrew got a very nice pat on the back for making dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW what an interesting way to use turnips ... your hubby sounds like a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My mom used to mash potatoes and turnips together, and I didn't like them one bit. Maybe I should try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay, I'm going to have to try this one! I'm neither biased against or for turnips, but I'm always intrigued with recipes that are so good they change people's perspectives on a food item.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...I am having a giveaway in my blog..Y dont you check and join that
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-recipe-and-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nope, sorry, won't be trying tht turnips. My mom, too, cooked them. I like most things, but not turnips and not lima beans. I grew up on a farm and we raised our own veggies, but I never could eat those two.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My mom always served a combination of mashed carrots and turnips at Thanksgiving. I'm with you on the egg shell thing - one crunch of an egg shell in food that I'm eating and I'm done... even if it was my first bite!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think this looks very interesting and I am going to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.