Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Cows and "The Birds"

Andrew and I had a few California days on our own while Adam went to a meeting in Seattle.  We pondered what to do and I, with fond recall, suggested that we head north to where U.S. 101 and U.S. 1 split near Marin City.  That we then head north on U.S. 1.  U.S. 1 that winds it's way along the rugged Pacific coast in two-lane, meet-yourself-coming-and-going fashion.  


The traffic was light, very light, and the vistas were breathtaking--literally!  I kept holding my breath and finally said "LET ME DRIVE"--maybe I yelled it.  Yes, I'm one of those people who like to be behind the wheel and in control in perilous conditions.



Of course, that meant I had to pull over to really enjoy the scenery.


Resting in tasty grasses.

The population was mostly cows with a few houses every ten miles or so.  The cows, as the commercial says, appeared to be very contented.




Ambling along with the blue Pacific to the left.


Being taking for a walk?!

We gingerly turned back at Point Reyes Lighthouse (it was closed) and headed to our (well, really my) destination.  First we had to eat and we found a restaurant, The Tides Wharf, and took a chance.  It turned out to be a very good choice.  There was a gift shop (not always a good sign when attached to a restaurant) and a fish market attached.  I longed to leave with a purchase from the fish market but had no way to prepare the "catch".  We peeked in the gift shop and saw beautiful stained glass depicting seascapes.


I chose a dungeness crab sandwich on sour dough (the only other options were white or wheat) that turned out to be delicious.  The crab was lightly napped with a good mayonnaise, a sprinkling of chives and nothing else.  It was generously slathered on the pretty good bread.  The cole slaw was one of the best I've ever had.

Andrew's red snapper tacos were treated to a fittingly mild salsa and served with a side of the cole slaw.
They were delicious as well.  We sipped a very nice Pinot Grigio while overlooking....


Bodega Bay.  The charming town chosen by Alfred Hitchcock in which to film "The Birds".  To my amazement, I found that Andrew has never seen the film.  I think I'll take care of that soon as I want to see it again.  Maybe we'll recognize parts of the town.


Hmm, a leftover "cast" member?

It was a very nice day.  

28 comments:

  1. A beautiful day of exploring.

    Your new header is so beautiful.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting day that was and the dungeness crab added to the picture makes it Perfect. Great photos.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    What a nice day! Beautiful photographs. I was there years ago.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics, it looks like a beautiful day:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. California cows, they do look happy.
    Looks like you had awesome weather for your trip, that is a good thing. The crab looked yummy, started my tastebuds drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Marin County! Somehow I had not connected the dots on The Birds. I still remember how disturbing that was to me when I first saw it! LOL! I so loved Alfred Hitchcock! The food looks so good... and all the better with that view! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day -- we've been to Bodega Bay as well -- and ate somewhere there although I can't remember where. Love that sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the birds scared me silly the first time i saw it many many years ago when it first came out, but years later i saw it again and wondered why it scared me so badly. have not seen it in many years now. love all the photos but really really LOVE the cows. I love cows.even better than that breathtaking scenery. also we are sisters under the skin, i would have to be behind the wheel also. on interstates hubby drives, any where else, i am behind the wheel. i do have a slight teeny tiny control issue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to go too! Hubby used to go to the west coast on business all the time and would always bring back photos he had taken along the coast highway. Driving it with him is on my list. If I were a cow with that view, I'd be contented too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Hwy.1. The scenery is always fabulous. I don't think I ever had bad food the year I lived in N. California. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bonnie - I love your new header! The photos are stunning. The California coast line is so beautiful and the weather was perfect for you. Those twisty roads can be a little stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there. I am home, and catching up. The California coast line has some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever laid eyes on!!!! It is always nice to go away, and so nice to come back home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cows right by the ocean, I never!!! I always thought of fields, meadows, or mountains for cows, not oceanside! Amazing to me, I learned something. I would have wanted to drive, too!! But I probably would have become too scared and turned back! LOVE that you remembered to snap your food for us!! Perhaps I ordered you to before you left? It looks so good, and loving Mr. sea gull. I bet the birds will not be as scary now as it was then, because so many movies have come out since that are much much scarier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live in CA and have never driven that famous drive. Can you believe it? I think I should this summer. Maybe we'll stop at that restaurant too...sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was at the exact same spot three days ago...Isn't it breathtaking..

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is simply one of my favourite drives ever! I love that around every turn is a new vista. Also one if my favourite restaurants in the world is up along that road. It's called Nepenthe and I think it's north of Big Sur. If you get out that way do give it a try. You won't regret it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a perfect day! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't realize the movie The Birds was filmed in Bodega Bay! The Tides Wharf restaurant food looked very good. I love dungeness crab.

    My husband and I once rode along US 1 from the San Francisco area south, around half Moon Bay towards Monterey and Pebble beach. We passed so many colorful Del Monte farms along the way and stopped a few times to admire the rugged Pacific. It's really a wonderful ride!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nope, when we drive on windy roads, I cannot drive - I am scared to death and typically never see the scenery because I have to be reading a book or magazine - I have an imaginary brake pedal because I think my husband drives too fast!

    Glad the restaurant turned out good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sourdough and crab meat were made for each other ;)

    We have sourdough and crab on christmas eve every year:)
    I know that road all too well, and yes it is very scary and those roads are so switch back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That crab sandwich is calling to me! I should of met you for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a very nice day what a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  23. amazing pictures, look absolutely nice! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks great andI be the food was tasty too!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks gorgeous. I do love our blue California skies --

    ReplyDelete
  26. dungness crab salad- are you kidding me! That sounds amazing. Okay, now I must figure out how to make it because now my mind is racing and I am craving it!Great pictures my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Many years ago I had the chance to visit a good portion of the Californian coast...but never as far up as Botega bay...what a charming place. If it was up to me, I'd be having all my meals with breathtaking views such as those...how very dreamy indeed.

    BTW...Most of my friends hand me over their car keys when we're going places...that's how much I hate to be piloted LOL. It's a great way to get to drive around some of their fancy cars too. LOL

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.