Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Oh So Light Carrot Cake

Here is another luscious dessert that Andrew prepared the day I returned from Fond du Lac.  What a guy--after contending with falling trees, no electricity and picking up debris for days, he turned on the oven and turned out this cake.  It's from one of his many clipped newspaper recipes but he wasn't sure which paper and he has had it for awhile.  In fact, the clipping is starting to yellow.

The cake is very light in texture.  So light, in fact, that our neighbor decided she'd have a second piece.  


Light(er) Carrot Cake

7 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Grated zest and juice of one lemon
5 large carrots, peeled and grated - about 2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds

350 degree oven
Coat a 10" springform pan with cooking spray.

1.  Separate five of the eggs and set aside the whites.  In a large mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks with the two remaining whole eggs.  Add one cup of the sugar, the cinnamon, salt, vanilla, lemon zest and juice.  Thoroughly mix then add in the carrots and almonds.
2.  In a clean bowl, using the whisk attachment, beat the five egg whites (adding the remaining two Tbsp of sugar when they are foamy) until they form stiff peaks.  Gently fold the whites into the carrot batter.
3.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for one hour before unmolding.

Enjoy topped with a little whip cream and fresh strawberries.  Excellent!


21 comments:

  1. Here in Brazil the carrot cakes are topped with chocolate. are not light.


    hug
    Daniel Deywes
    http://feitonahora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lighter carrot cake sounds wonderful ... carrot cake is one of our favorites but my recipe is not light. This will be a good option.

    Hope you're doing well,

    dotsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this doesn't call for oil-I've bookmarked it! Carrot Cake is a fav of my sons, of course this kills the "light" aspect of it but, do you think cream cheese icing (maybe just around the top edge:@) would be good on this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrumptious!! And, I can only hope our Andrew turns out to be as thoughtful and hard working as yours!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've upset me now! My goodness! What a delicious cake. I wish I had it here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrot cake is my favorite. I will be giving this a try! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nothing like the carrot cake my husband loves, for one thing, no flour. i read it all and i am wondering how just carrots and sugar made a cake. it looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, you have a super hubby that is talented in the kitchen. I will take seconds on that cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A tradition around here is that I make a carrot cake every year for my sister's birthday. It's a decadant cake, so we can only allow ourselves to have it once a year. I'm looking forward to trying this lighter version so perhaps we can have it more often!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so delicious, a perfect cake for the summer weather
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the wonderful flavours of this family favourite are all there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh perfect! I just adore carrot cake, and I need a lighter version. Thank you for sharing this glimpse into your delicious world. It made me smile...also hungry! I hope you are having a beautiful Wednesday. Love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that does look light and airy and moist and just simply delicious! Scrumptious and irrestible

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have served it in such a lovely way!! I used to make carrot cake, and had several recipes. But the almonds is a new one on me!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrew is a keeper. Love the lighter version and a great way to use up the carrots I invariably have left over.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back! Carrot cake is my favourite thing, but my recipe makes a huge one. This sounds wonderful and love your presentation.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. I swear I thought it was a cheese cake. It looks so moist! Carrot cake is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the prettiest carrot cake I have every seen! So lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love, love, love Carrot Cake!
    Your hubby did a great job. Yea!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is my daddy's favorite cake. I will have to keep this recipe around! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay...got to try it...I'm on weight watcher's and so I'm looking for recipes not so laden with calories...Scott's favorite cake is carrot cake so I definitely need to make it for him :) thanks and I hope your husband has recovered from all his ordeal with the storms :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.