Friday, June 17, 2011

RePa* Onion Soup

*Refrigerator/Pantry

I'm still trying to use up food.  The storm "helped" by allowing the food in the refrigerator and freezer to defrost.  Fortunately there was not a huge loss but I feel bad about any food that has to be tossed.

The pantry had some onions and shallots that were on the verge of going over the edge.  The day was cool and the evening promised to be even cooler.  Onion soup sounded very tasty!

I'm putting a few posts in the "hopper" since I'll be away for a short vacation.  My blog assistant, Oliver, will be here with his sitter but, without opposable thumbs, he doesn't type!!


Onion Soup from the Pantry

7 (or so) medium yellow onions
1 (or what was left of 1) Vidalia onion
3 large shallots

Cut all into quarters and slice.  The food processor makes quick work of this task.

2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil

Heat butter and olive oil in a saucepan large enough to hold the onions until they cook down.

Add the onions and shallots in layers, lightly salting between layers.  Cook over medium-low heat, without stirring, for about 20 minutes.  Increase the heat to medium and stir (fairly often) for about 45 minutes until the mixture is greatly reduced (by about 2/3s) and golden brown.

Add one cup of dry white white, turn up the heat and reduce the wine to about 1/2 cup.

2 tsp dried bouquet garni
2 cups of beef stock
1 cup of chicken stock

Stir the bouquet garni into the onion mixture.
Pour in the stocks

Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Thick slices of French bread brushed with olive oil and thickly sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan and toasted in a 400 degree oven for about ten minutes are the perfect accompaniment.

2 Tbsp of chopped fresh chives to sprinkle over.

ENJOY

26 comments:

  1. The soup sounds great, it's been kind of cool here too. Have a nice trip:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and I absolutely adore onion soup! Which I often forget about making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup sounds great and where would we be without our food processors. Enjoy your vacation. See you when you return.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks just as fresh as it can be! Sinful actually and so rich. I love it! I love using onions with shallots together! It is interesting that you used both chicken and beef stock. I will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is THE prettiest soup I have ever seen, it is frameable, hang it on your wall. i think i smell onions. have fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful and homey!! I admit, I eat soup year round :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks fabulous! Have a nice vacation. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the bread you served it with, did it have cheese on it? Thanks for this recipe for onion soup, one of my friends is going to France on a gap year next week, so I Think I'll make this for her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just taste the sweet caramelization of the onions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this looks warm and inviting Bonnie! Reminds me of Oliver...pls sir, can I have some more!

    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that looks so good. It's storming today...may get down to 70. That's practically a snowstorm in Cayman. Perfect excuse for yummy onion soup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great!! I used to make onion soup, but now it is just too much standing for me. And I LOVE it, and get it whenever it's on a menu when we go out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever girl! Does that ever look delish. And that cheese-laden bread is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though the days are finally warming up we do enjoy a bowl of soup now and then. I haven't made onion soup in ages. I think its time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm this looks delicious! Perfect for when you have onions that are on the verge of going bad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's nothing like good soup, and this one looks so comforting...great post!

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,

    Eu sou Daniel, eu sou do Brasil

    Esse é um lindo e maravilhosa receita. Essa sopa deve ser uma delicia.

    Aqui no brasil estamos no inverno, e uma sopa é bemvinda



    see you

    Daniel Deywes - Brazil
    http://feitonahora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love "RePa" cooking! Brings out all your creativity! And usually it's pretty darn good, even if you may not be able to recreate it exactly ever again. "Necessity is the mother of invention."

    ReplyDelete
  19. How delicious! Sounds fabulous! :)

    Tammy~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my cool weather and soup is sounding so good... it is 104 right now. Coming home to the heat after being in a much cooler place is a challenge! Have fun! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds a perfect soup for the cooler weather - caramelized onions are the best
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That soup sounds amazingly simple and yummy..Will have to give this a try at some point...You have a lovely blog...glad I stumbled across it.

    -Shilpa

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been reading your posts until my eyes crossed,, I'm your newest follower,, yum yum, thats what I say about this,

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.