Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wild Mushrooms

There are still lots of woods and fields around here.  Areas where there are no shopping malls, skyscrapers, big box stores or drugstores on all four corners of an intersection.  Those woods and fields are said to be rife with wild mushrooms:  morels, giant puffball, oyster, chicken-of-the-wood (aka sheepshead) and shiitake to name a few.  They are hard to find and when one does, the location is a carefully guarded secret even when it is on the land of a complete stranger.  Rather strange but true.  The only mushrooms that I can identify as edible are in the produce department at my local supermarket.  


I found these in my backyard and am wondering if any of you know whether or not they are safe to eat?

25 comments:

  1. They can't be real!!! If they are they are the most brightly coloured mushrooms I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They probably have a little more "roughage" than you'd like:@) They are cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like my front and back yard to have mushrooms like those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen such colorful mushrooms! They don't look real. I remember The Two Fat Ladies TV show once had a piece on wild mushrooms and there was a red one that was poisonous.

    We used to forage for morels in Michigan in the spring. We kept the location a secret as nobody else had discovered it. (In a wild apple orchard.) Mother would dunk them in flour and fry them in butter and we'd have them for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!! I think you might want to pass on those!! Cute photo! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am certainly no expert but I take a cue from mother nature that bright colours in birds, insects, etc are a warning. I am not safe to eat but gorgeous to look at and photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're taking us for a ride!!! Those can't be real! I'm very leary of eating wild mushrooms. I heard an interview on NPR with Nicholas Evans (THE HORSE WHISPERER)who with his wife and other members of the family ate wild mushroom and had very serious consequences. Be careful!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie,
    No way would I even touch them. Are you sure they are real? Too colorful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here in the south we say "You Be Pullin' My Leg". Just dont pull to hard I only have one good one.

    You are a hoot!

    I like mushrooms, but like you I purchase them from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks kind of suspicious to me, but very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am thinking the purple one might be poison but go ahead and cook the rest of them. LOL.... but watch out for the glass/plastic between your teeth. LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Thanks for the smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magic mushrooms! Makes me feel like Alice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I certainly don't get toadstools that look like that. If they are real (I see a little gloss there) I am thinking you might be having a few hallucinations just as colorful! ha! ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yet to find the secret places of edible mushrooms out here- and no one is sharing that info!!!
    Yours look like, if you leave them alone - they will be in your garden forever!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they candy mushrooms normally have natural colour but they look soooo cute!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm...those mushrooms? I think I would ask the garden gnomes if they think those mushrooms are safe to eat or not. They'd know, I'm sure.
    My brother grows shiitakes, but other than those,I prefer to forage for my mushrooms in the grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would say the warning colors are telling you to back off!!! Ha ha!! I love these yard art mushrooms and always take pictures of them when I see them. They are so cute and cheerful! Now you need some fairies to go under them. Do you really pick and eat mushrooms when you find them? I would be too scared, not knowing which is poisonous. I saw a civil war movie where a soldier was poisoned with mushrooms by two old ladies, that did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie...I could only wonder if you've been having Oliver's food with a little booze on the side.
    You seem to be having great fun with us aren't you?

    Can't wait for the sequel ;o)

    Have a great weekend.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie! OH, yes, I know they are. There's a grape one, a cherry one and a pineapple one! :)
    So cute.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very funny! I would not eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Think you better pass on those babies!
    Nice colors, and you can photograph them all day and night, and use them to find your way home...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your really had me going with this post! I was ready to do a field trip to Illinois for morels :)

    I have some mushrooms very similar in my yard. Sadly I broke one when putting it away for the winter.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.